spaghetti squash recipes?

Options
azeria
azeria Posts: 535 Member
I have just discovered spaghetti squash and turns out I love it! So, now I'm on the hunt for some great recipes. Anybody have some great recipes?

Thank you so much to all those who help me!

Replies

• SunshineKisses_2012
    SunshineKisses_2012 Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    Bump! I made a friend out of one of your friends because of my interest in spaghetti squash! Looking for more! Now I'm curious and about to invest in stock in the local spaghetti squash farmer!
  • Espressocycle
    Espressocycle Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    I used this recipe to make balls instead of loaf nd served over spaghetti squash with tomato sauce. It's yum.

http://icemancooketh.blogspot.com/2008/12/trying-much-maligned-70s-hippie-staple.html
  • jrditt
    jrditt Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    I'm curious too! Especially easy ones in the microwave!
  • YogiGirlLucy
    Options
    I LOVE spaghetti squash. I cut the squash in half, scrape seeds out and bake at 450 for 45 minutes (may be up to an hour for a really large one). I use TJ's basic marinara sauce (no sugar, just tomatoes, paste and salt). I add fresh basil, and chopped up sweet yellow onion, zucchini, yellow squash, white mushrooms, crimini mushrooms, fresh garlic, yellow and orange bell peppers and spices: garlic powder, black pepper and oregano*. Cook on low/med for about 20 minutes. Take squash from oven and let cool. Scrape squash into a collinder with a bowl underneath (you will have water drainage). Plate squash and top with sauce. I add a little TJ's shaved asiago and parmesan cheese on top.

* You can also add eggplant or cooked ground turkey as well.

So good, and so low in fat, calories and carbs! Yum.

Lucy :)
  • maryloo2011
    Options
    Spaghetti Squash Casserole (LOVELOVELOVE)

Ingredients
    * 1 spaghetti squash, halved lengthwise and seeds removed
    * 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
    * 1 small onion, chopped
    * 2 cloves garlic, chopped
    * 1 teaspoon dried basil
    * 2 plum tomatoes, chopped
    * 1 cup (8 ounces) 1% cottage cheese
    * 1/2 cup (2 ounces) shredded low-fat mozzarella cheese
    * 1/4 cup chopped parsley
    * 1/4 teaspoon salt
    * 1/4 cup (1 ounce) grated parmesan cheese
    * 3 tablespoons seasoned dry bread crumbs

Directions
    1. Preheat the oven to 400°F. Coat a 13" x 9" baking dish and a baking sheet with nonstick spray. Place the squash, cut side down, on the sheet. Bake for 30 minutes, or until tender when pierced with a sharp knife. With a fork, scrape the squash strands into a large bowl.
    2. Meanwhile, warm the oil in a medium skillet set over medium heat. Add the onion, garlic, and basil. Cook for 4 to 5 minutes, or until the onion is soft. Add the tomatoes. Cook for 3 to 4 minutes, or until the mixture is dry.
    3. To the bowl with the squash, add the cottage cheese, mozzarella, parsley, salt, and the onion mixture. Stir to mix. Pour into the prepared baking dish. Sprinkle with the Parmesan and bread crumbs.
    4. Bake for 30 minutes, or until bubbly and heated through.
  • angee1126
    angee1126 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    bump
  • xwllflwrx
    xwllflwrx Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Lisa__Michelle
    Lisa__Michelle Posts: 845 Member
    Options
    I make Ground turkey meat sauce with tomato sauce. I put that on the spaghetti squash and eat it just like spaghetti. It is literally my favorite food now. I CRAVE it. I never thought I would say that about something healthy.
  • azeria
    Options
    Thanks everyone! Keep them recipes coming. I'm going to try a few of these. I do think that I will also end up buying out the supermarket!.

Here's how I ate it last night, the first time I ever made it. Cooked it in the oven first and then scraped it out.. I fried some mushrooms and shredded some mozzarella cheese then put a scoop of campbell's tomato soup cooked on. I do that with macaroni sometimes and I love it!

Let me tell you, I really enjoyed it last night! Which left me craving more creative ways to eat it!

Please continue sharing! I was surprised to see how much I loved it. Does anyone know if acorn squash is just as good?
  • mobskee
    mobskee Posts: 200
    Options
    Spaghetti Squash Casserole (LOVELOVELOVE)

Ingredients
    * 1 spaghetti squash, halved lengthwise and seeds removed
    * 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
    * 1 small onion, chopped
    * 2 cloves garlic, chopped
    * 1 teaspoon dried basil
    * 2 plum tomatoes, chopped
    * 1 cup (8 ounces) 1% cottage cheese
    * 1/2 cup (2 ounces) shredded low-fat mozzarella cheese
    * 1/4 cup chopped parsley
    * 1/4 teaspoon salt
    * 1/4 cup (1 ounce) grated parmesan cheese
    * 3 tablespoons seasoned dry bread crumbs

Directions
    1. Preheat the oven to 400°F. Coat a 13" x 9" baking dish and a baking sheet with nonstick spray. Place the squash, cut side down, on the sheet. Bake for 30 minutes, or until tender when pierced with a sharp knife. With a fork, scrape the squash strands into a large bowl.
    2. Meanwhile, warm the oil in a medium skillet set over medium heat. Add the onion, garlic, and basil. Cook for 4 to 5 minutes, or until the onion is soft. Add the tomatoes. Cook for 3 to 4 minutes, or until the mixture is dry.
    3. To the bowl with the squash, add the cottage cheese, mozzarella, parsley, salt, and the onion mixture. Stir to mix. Pour into the prepared baking dish. Sprinkle with the Parmesan and bread crumbs.
    4. Bake for 30 minutes, or until bubbly and heated through.

This sounds amazing! Making it tomorrow...thank you :happy:
  • HappilySingle
    HappilySingle Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I saw a receipe, I think on Rachel Ray, to simply cut the squash in half, seed it and them bake one half with cinnamon sugar and the other half with romano parseman cheese (sorry for the spelling, I have 5 kids running under foot), Opps, bake until cooked
  • TaraMKL
    TaraMKL Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Italian style spaghetti squash.
    I don't use this much oil. I use Pam.

Ingredients

1 pound spaghetti squash, halved lengthwise and seeded
    1 tablespoon olive oil
    1/2 medium red onion, thinly sliced
    1/2 medium zucchini, cut into 1/2 inch dice
    2 medium tomatoes, diced
    1/8 teaspoon salt
    1/8 teaspoon coarsely ground pepper
    1/4 cup reduced-fat grated Parmesan cheese (optional)
    1/2 small lemon, sliced
    Directions

Place the squash halves, cut sides down, in a glass baking dish. Add 1/8 cup water and cover with plastic wrap. Microwave on high for 8-10 minutes until tender; cool slightly.
    Meanwhile, in a large skillet, heat 1 tablespoon of the oil. Add the onion and cook over medium-high heat for 3 minutes until the onion is translucent. Add the zucchini and cook for 4-5 minutes until the zucchini begins to brown. Add the tomatoes, salt, and pepper. Reduce the heat; simmer gently for 10 minutes.
    Using a fork, scrape the squash strands into a bowl. Toss with the remaining tablespoon of oil. Mound the squash in the center of 4 pasta bowls and spoon the vegetable mixture around the squash. Drizzle with more oil, if desired, and garnish with Parmesan cheese, if using. Add the lemon slices.

Love this.
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options
    bump
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    I made it for the first time the other night. I love it. I cut it in half and roasted it in the oven for 1 hr. I scraped it out with a fork and used it instead of pasta. It was great! I want to get a bunch of them and freeze them. I was told to cook it half way and put it in freezer bags. I will try it and use it all the time. Shame you can only get it for a short time.
  • Armygirl67
    Armygirl67 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    Bump.
  • havalinaaa
    havalinaaa Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    Please continue sharing! I was surprised to see how much I loved it. Does anyone know if acorn squash is just as good?
    Acorn squash is delicious in a completely different way. It's taste is pretty similar to sweet potatoes, like butternut squash. It doesn't make noodle like strands the way spaghetti squash does, as far as I know spaghetti squash is the only squash that does that, or at least the only readily available one.

I use spaghetti squash for just about anything I would use spaghetti for. My favorite way to eat it is with just a little butter and fresh parsley with a little freshly grated parmesan on top.

To quick cook a spaghetti squash, prick it all over with a sharp knife - this is important, it keeps the squash from exploding in your microwave. Place it in the microwave and cook for 3 minute intervals, turning between each 3 minutes, until the squash gives slightly when pressed (usually 4 times, or 12 minutes, for a medium sized squash). Let cool for about 5 minutes and cut in half, the seeds are slightly harder to scrape out after you cook it but not too bad, and the time you save over baking is totally worth it IMO.
  • hikeout470
    hikeout470 Posts: 628 Member
    Options
    a quicker way to cook it is in the microwave. cut the squash in half, remove seeds, place rind up in about 1 inch of water in a glass baking pan, cover with saran. cook until done, about 10 minutes. my favorite is just with a pad of butter, salt and pepper. YUM!
  • TriciaAnn81
    Options
    I love to use spagetti squash instead of noodles when making spagetti. My husband and kids love it too!
  • azeria
    Options
    Thanks everyone!

I didn't realize that we could only get spaghetti squash for a short while! Yikes! My fiance is getting tired of it, but I'm still craving it like crazy! I keep wanting to try so many things!!!

Maybe I need to stock up too... haha Too bad I don't really have much of a freezer.
  • longoverdue
    longoverdue Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    bump