Moofyisms

Options
13»

Replies

• RyonsLions2
    RyonsLions2 Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    Can you go back on the thread where they were dissing her and report them for harassment?

I guess not. :frown:
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options
    I'm very sorry to hear that your friend left. People sometimes don't realize how painful their words really are or unfortunately they don't care.
    :flowerforyou:
  • branflake5
    Options
    wow just read the thread that started this whole thing, poor kids they really did give her a hard way to go. hope she gets back on here shouldn't let the opinions of others push her out of her ya bunch of bullies. leave the girl alone. i vent about my fiance my kids and my mom sometimes it doesn't mean i don't love them with all my heart; that is why you vent is to get it off your chest. sheesh
  • Hearts_2015
    Options
    bullying makes me sad, it happens so often on MFP anymore... I wish it was the site it used to be. :brokenheart:
  • Artemis_Acorn
    Artemis_Acorn Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    bullying makes me sad, it happens so often on MFP anymore... I wish it was the site it used to be. :brokenheart:

Well, some people's definition of 'adult' behavior is sadly distant from mature and kind. Some people appear to believe that it's okay to bully and attack and say raunchy things to each other because 'we're all grownups, right?' These people need to get a clue - many of the people who have turned to MFP are dealing with serious self-esteem issues, loneliness and depression. We should, as a community of adults with a shared goal of trying to improve ourselves, be building each other up, not calling names, calling each other out, or belittling someone to the point where they are forced to retreat or be emotionally scarred. I joined this site because I want to get healthy. I honestly wonder about other people's motivations when I read some of these threads.

The environment in these MFP forums has seriously degraded in just the four months that I've been here. There seem to be a handful of participants who find it amusing to gang up and provoke, insult and taunt the target(s) of the day. For what? Entertainment? Power trip? What? I haven't seen behavior this bad since Jr. High! The mods are doing a good job of putting out the fires, but seriously, I really do wish that the behaviors matched the age on the profiles. Bullying is not cool when you're a kid, but it happens because kids are immature and stupid. Bullying here is really inexcusable. "Do unto others..." you know the rest.

Rant over.
  • mommared53
    mommared53 Posts: 9,543 Member
    Options

Well, some people's definition of 'adult' behavior is sadly distant from mature and kind. Some people appear to believe that it's okay to bully and attack and say raunchy things to each other because 'we're all grownups, right?' These people need to get a clue - many of the people who have turned to MFP are dealing with serious self-esteem issues, loneliness and depression. We should, as a community of adults with a shared goal of trying to improve ourselves, be building each other up, not calling names, calling each other out, or belittling someone to the point where they are forced to retreat or be emotionally scarred. I joined this site because I want to get healthy. I honestly wonder about other people's motivations when I read some of these threads.

The environment in these MFP forums has seriously degraded in just the four months that I've been here. There seem to be a handful of participants who find it amusing to gang up and provoke, insult and taunt the target(s) of the day. For what? Entertainment? Power trip? What? I haven't seen behavior this bad since Jr. High! The mods are doing a good job of putting out the fires, but seriously, I really do wish that the behaviors matched the age on the profiles. Bullying is not cool when you're a kid, but it happens because kids are immature and stupid. Bullying here is really inexcusable. "Do unto others..." you know the rest.

Rant over.

I agree. It didn't used to be like this. Now it's like there's a pack mentality among a lot of the posters. I was explaining it to my son the other night and I used the phrase "pack of wolves" and he said it sounded like sharks going after blood. That's a very good description too. I made the comment once that I felt like I was back in high school but junior high school is more like it. My daughter came to this site because of me but she no longer goes to any of the threads anymore because of how they've become.
  • Hearts_2015
    Options

Rant over.

I agree. It didn't used to be like this. Now it's like there's a pack mentality among a lot of the posters. I was explaining it to my son the other night and I used the phrase "pack of wolves" and he said it sounded like sharks going after blood. That's a very good description too. I made the comment once that I felt like I was back in high school but junior high school is more like it. My daughter came to this site because of me but she no longer goes to any of the threads anymore because of how they've become.
    I so agree with both of you, such ugly changes the boards have taken. It's lost so much and makes so many leave and choose to no longer use the boards. The boards are such a valuable part of MFP but if they remain this way so many will either leave completely or simple no longer visit the boards. At that point I can only imagine how ugly the boards would become.

At this point I no longer feel comfortable recommending MFP to others for the very reason your daughter no longer comes to the boards because of the ugliness and it's way too unpredictable what will be said.

Thank you both for sharing.:flowerforyou: & Mommared I'm so sorry your daughter no longer feels comfortable on here, but I do understand her feelings. :brokenheart:
  • Iamfit4life
    Iamfit4life Posts: 3,095 Member
    Options
    You act like a child, and you are probably going to be treated as such.
  • Jorra
    Jorra Posts: 3,338 Member
    Options

Ditto.
  • p0pr0cksnc0ke
    p0pr0cksnc0ke Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    Sorry she felt the need to deactivate.

but I have been on more than a few websites with forums. Everyone does the "I AM DELETING" thing only to come back under a different name later on. I think the term attention *kitten* comes to mind.
  • Iamfit4life
    Options
    Sorry she felt the need to deactivate.

but I have been on more than a few websites with forums. Everyone does the "I AM DELETING" thing only to come back under a different name later on. I think the term attention *kitten* comes to mind.

I agree.

Because after the whole scuffle about the mom thread she got more obnoxious. Most(Adults) would have let it go and layed low.
  • macpatti
    macpatti Posts: 4,280 Member
    Options

Rant over.

I commented on the "Moofey thread" she addressed to her mom. I've received a PM telling me that I joined the group that bullied her. It was not my intent to bully her at all. I was hoping she would see my reply from the perspective of her mother (since I'm old enough to be her mother). I replied in the same snarky way she did in hers, so I was hoping she'd get it and take pause to think about what she was complaining about. I guess it didn't come across that way. For that, I apologize.

I agree with everything you've stated above. I'm usually one of the people the "herd" comes after. There is definitely a herd mentaltiy on here. I'm older than Moofey and probably have thicker skin, so I just stay on and debate instead of deactivating and going away (they win when you do that). I can't stand bullying. I think Moofey is young, naive, and immature~ which is obvious in many of her posts, but it was never my intent to make her feel bad about herself.

It's actually refreshing to see people in this thread speaking up about things I'm usually being attacked for saying. There is a lot of bullying here, as well as vile topics/discussions. One poster yesterday created a thread on voting to ban people here. In my opinion, banning should be done by the mods and Mike for breaking site rules, not voted on by a pack of people who target anyone who sees things differently than they do. That's just being a coward.
  • stampede55
    Options
    Not trying to attack, or defend, or offend, but wouldn't those same rules apply to the posters that incessantly turn threads in to 7th grade level conversations? I really would rather not read about how bad 30 something married lady wants to see 30 something married man's junk. I've never seen you stoop to that level, but it seems that this "mob" tends to favor these tactics. It's kind of sad actually.
  • mommared53
    Options

Rant over.

I so agree with both of you, such ugly changes the boards have taken. It's lost so much and makes so many leave and choose to no longer use the boards. The boards are such a valuable part of MFP but if they remain this way so many will either leave completely or simple no longer visit the boards. At that point I can only imagine how ugly the boards would become.

At this point I no longer feel comfortable recommending MFP to others for the very reason your daughter no longer comes to the boards because of the ugliness and it's way too unpredictable what will be said.

Thank you both for sharing.:flowerforyou: & Mommared I'm so sorry your daughter no longer feels comfortable on here, but I do understand her feelings. :brokenheart:

I'm not knocking MFP, I love this site and there are a not of good people on here and that's why I stay but I don't feel comfortable recommending MFP to family and friends either, especially Christian friends. That's sad.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,080 Member
    Options
    It appears that "memorial threads" are started so the deactivated person can find their old friends ....at least in the past they have served this function. When the deactivated person comes back with a new name, their friends have posted to the memorial thread, therefore are easy to contact.

Because if they were really gone, they wouldn't see it. So what would be the point?
  • Iamfit4life
    Options
    Not trying to attack, or defend, or offend, but wouldn't those same rules apply to the posters that incessantly turn threads in to 7th grade level conversations? I really would rather not read about how bad 30 something married lady wants to see 30 something married man's junk. I've never seen you stoop to that level, but it seems that this "mob" tends to favor these tactics. It's kind of sad actually.

ok
    and this is being honest. A lot of different people we're upset and had similar comments about her mom thread.
    Myself I said something. But I later emailed her and told her to relax.. blah blah.

I think it was her AW behavior(and very immature quite often) after that which prompted the further dogpile(and I'm not saying I agreed with it). This board, as many others can have a pack mentality.
    Sometimes it's awesome to see what a group like this can create if they want as far as good, but theres also the other side of the coin.
    I honestly do think had she just let it be...it would have been fine.
  • mommared53
    Options

ok
    and this is being honest. A lot of different people we're upset and had similar comments about her mom thread.
    Myself I said something. But I later emailed her and told her to relax.. blah blah.

I think it was her AW behavior(and very immature quite often) after that which prompted the further dogpile(and I'm not saying I agreed with it). This board, as many others can have a pack mentality.
    Sometimes it's awesome to see what a group like this can create if they want as far as good, but theres also the other side of the coin.

There were more than just Moofey acting immature. I didn't look at the ages of the others who aren't on my friends list but she was and I saw she's only 21. I know I was very immature at that age too (shoot sometimes I still act pretty immature at age 57. Just ask my kids. :laugh: ) but I saw in one thread she did apologize which, quite frankly, is more than I would have done. But because she didn't let it be and she acted immaturely doesn't mean others had to keep it going and act immature also. They could have just went on to some other thread and left it alone.
  • stampede55
    Options
    I agree with you. Sometimes these interwebs make it hard to keep a level head. When people become anonymous their true selves aren't often revealed....or maybe sometimes they are.
  • myofibril
    myofibril Posts: 4,500 Member
    Options
    I don't think Moofey was an AW. I think it is more she was going through certain issues, probably a manic phase.

There is one thing that really surprises me about MFP although I do like it very much here. So many members put out stories about feeling marginalised or left out due to comments about their weight, ethnicity or sexuality, how they constantly battle anxiety and depression, low feelings of self worth, eating disorders and so. They know what it feels like to hurt and be the odd one out.

What happens when you give these same people the shelter of a "popular" group? They seem to spectacularly forget what it felt like to be excluded or picked on, they miss the signs of suffering they have felt reflected in the personalities of other posters. They then go on to make others feel marginalised or excluded as they have been. How does that work?

This is one of the reasons why I keep my friends list low and sometimes come out swinging for an underdog in a discussion even if it makes me unpopular. People and groups can be a very bad mix.
  • MCDerin
    MCDerin Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    I am locking this thread because the conversation is getting a little out of hand.
    Keep in mind that even if the member is no longer active on the site, it is still against MFP forum guidelines to post comments such as many that have been made in this thread.

(From the guidelines)

4) Do not attack/slam/insult other users. The forums are here so that members can help support one another. Attacks or insults against each other takes away from the supportive atmosphere and will not be tolerated. You can discuss the message or topic, but not the messenger - NO EXCEPTIONS. If you are attacked by another user, and you reciprocate, YOU will also be subject to the same consequences. Defending yourself, defending a friend, etc. are NOT excuses. Violations of this rule are taken very seriously and may result in being banned without warning! If you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all.

5) Topics which are started with the intent to denigrate, belittle, or disparage another MyFitnessPal member, either directly named or through enough descriptive commentary to be possibly identified, are prohibited. Such topics will be instantly deleted and may result in the banning of the original poster. This includes following another poster around in the forums, posting about past events gone sour, divulging personal information, spreading gossip or rumors, posting email exchanges between users, etc. Keep the drama off the forums!

Thanks for your cooperation.
This discussion has been closed.