Portobello "Philly Cheese Steak" Sandwich

Options
SoupNazi
SoupNazi Posts: 4,229 Member
MV4866.JPG
From Eatingwell.com

Cheese steaks are a Philadelphia tradition: thin slices from a rich and very fatty slab of beef, fried up and topped with a heavy cheese sauce. We’ve cut down on the fat considerably - but not on the taste. All it needs is a cold beer or a glass of pinot noir on the side. Make this vegetarian by using vegetable broth in place of chicken stock.

Makes 4 sandwiches

ACTIVE TIME: 25 minutes

TOTAL TIME: 25 minutes

EASE OF PREPARATION: Easy

2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
1 medium onion, sliced
4 large portobello mushrooms, stems and gills removed (see Tip), sliced
1 large red bell pepper, thinly sliced
2 tablespoons minced fresh oregano or 2 teaspoons dried
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
1/4 cup vegetable broth or reduced-sodium chicken broth
1 tablespoon reduced-sodium soy sauce
3 ounces thinly sliced reduced-fat provolone cheese
4 whole-wheat buns, split and toasted

1. Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion and cook, stirring often, until soft and beginning to brown, 2 to 3 minutes. Add mushrooms, bell pepper, oregano and pepper and cook, stirring often, until the vegetables are wilted and soft, about 7 minutes.
2. Reduce heat to low; sprinkle the vegetables with flour and stir to coat. Stir in broth and soy sauce; bring to a simmer. Remove from the heat, lay cheese slices on top of the vegetables, cover and let stand until melted, 1 to 2 minutes.
3. Divide the mixture into 4 portions with a spatula, leaving the melted cheese layer on top. Scoop a portion onto each toasted bun and serve immediately.

NUTRITION INFORMATION: Per serving: 268 calories; 10 g fat (4 g sat, 4 g mono); 15 mg cholesterol; 35 g carbohydrate; 13 g protein; 7 g fiber; 561 mg sodium; 707 mg potassium.

Nutrition bonus: Vitamin C (140% daily value), Selenium (49% dv), Vitamin A (30% dv), Calcium (25% dv), Potassium (20% dv), Magnesium (16% dv).

2 Carbohydrate Servings

Exchanges: 2 starch, 1 vegetable, 1 high-fat meat

TIP: The dark gills found on the underside of a portobello are edible, but if you like you can scrape them off with a spoon.

Replies

• SoupNazi
    Options
    MV4866.JPG
    From Eatingwell.com

Cheese steaks are a Philadelphia tradition: thin slices from a rich and very fatty slab of beef, fried up and topped with a heavy cheese sauce. We’ve cut down on the fat considerably - but not on the taste. All it needs is a cold beer or a glass of pinot noir on the side. Make this vegetarian by using vegetable broth in place of chicken stock.

Makes 4 sandwiches

ACTIVE TIME: 25 minutes

TOTAL TIME: 25 minutes

EASE OF PREPARATION: Easy

2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
    1 medium onion, sliced
    4 large portobello mushrooms, stems and gills removed (see Tip), sliced
    1 large red bell pepper, thinly sliced
    2 tablespoons minced fresh oregano or 2 teaspoons dried
    1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
    1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
    1/4 cup vegetable broth or reduced-sodium chicken broth
    1 tablespoon reduced-sodium soy sauce
    3 ounces thinly sliced reduced-fat provolone cheese
    4 whole-wheat buns, split and toasted

1. Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion and cook, stirring often, until soft and beginning to brown, 2 to 3 minutes. Add mushrooms, bell pepper, oregano and pepper and cook, stirring often, until the vegetables are wilted and soft, about 7 minutes.
    2. Reduce heat to low; sprinkle the vegetables with flour and stir to coat. Stir in broth and soy sauce; bring to a simmer. Remove from the heat, lay cheese slices on top of the vegetables, cover and let stand until melted, 1 to 2 minutes.
    3. Divide the mixture into 4 portions with a spatula, leaving the melted cheese layer on top. Scoop a portion onto each toasted bun and serve immediately.

NUTRITION INFORMATION: Per serving: 268 calories; 10 g fat (4 g sat, 4 g mono); 15 mg cholesterol; 35 g carbohydrate; 13 g protein; 7 g fiber; 561 mg sodium; 707 mg potassium.

Nutrition bonus: Vitamin C (140% daily value), Selenium (49% dv), Vitamin A (30% dv), Calcium (25% dv), Potassium (20% dv), Magnesium (16% dv).

2 Carbohydrate Servings

Exchanges: 2 starch, 1 vegetable, 1 high-fat meat

TIP: The dark gills found on the underside of a portobello are edible, but if you like you can scrape them off with a spoon.
  • Anna_Banana
    Anna_Banana Posts: 2,939 Member
    Options
    Okay, this sounds sooooo good. I wish I could by Portobello mushrooms at our grocery store. I need to start a list for when I go to the city. Thanks for the recipe Soup.
  • SoupNazi
    Options
    You are very welcome Anna Banana!!:flowerforyou:
  • Losing_It
    Losing_It Posts: 3,271 Member
    Options
    ~bumpity bump~:flowerforyou:
  • msarro
    msarro Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    Made this tonight. Very yummy!!!! :)
  • Momma2four
    Momma2four Posts: 1,534
    Options
    This looks really good, Thanks for the recipe
  • FitnessGeek
    FitnessGeek Posts: 487
    Options
    Wow that looks yummy! TY for posting a vegetarian recipe. I am bookmarking this for later. :bigsmile:
  • msarro
    msarro Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    After making it, I can't help but feel that the only way you could really improve on this recipe would be a tiny splash of cooking wine. Its awesome! Also, unless they used really small portabellas in the recipe, there is NO WAY this is just 4 servings. It makes a LOT of sandwich filling. So far we've made about 6 sandwiches (4 crusty whole wheat rolls from wegmans, and 2 Pandesol Filipino rolls), and I still have a small bowl of mushroom stuff left.
  • cquick
    cquick Posts: 220
    Options
    provolone? mushrooms?

oh my gosh, my eyes twitching, i think i'm gonna hyperventilate....

(great recipe! gimme another! :grumble: :laugh: )
  • Mom_To_5
    Mom_To_5 Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    this sounds so good!!

going to make this next time i go grocery shopping, need the portabello mushrooms and i just went yesterday, so won't be going again for a few days
  • SmileyJ23
    SmileyJ23 Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    I cannot wait to try this
  • AshAndrews
    Options
    Sounds tasty!
  • csnealey
    csnealey Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    bump:flowerforyou:
  • SmileyJ23
    SmileyJ23 Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    So I tried this on Tuesday night for dinner. It takes just like a Philly except the meat. Since I absolutely love mushrooms and eat mushroom pizza. It was very, very delicious. I cannot wait to try it again.
  • FitnessGeek
    FitnessGeek Posts: 487
    Options
    I made this tonight and it was delicious. I substituted green peppers instead of red peppers though (cooked red peppers kinda gross me out).

Thanks for posting, it's really simple and yummy! :smile:
  • SoupNazi
    Options
    I'm glad you all enjoyed it!:flowerforyou:

I'm gonna make this tomorrow. YUM!:love:
  • Losing_It
    Losing_It Posts: 3,271 Member
    Options
    I'm glad you all enjoyed it!:flowerforyou:

I'm gonna make this tomorrow. YUM!:love:

Can I come over?:love:
  • SoupNazi
    Options
    Anytime Beck!:drinker:
  • mel_istheshit
    Options
    Bump. Just want to mark this recipe for later.
  • jmdolan
    jmdolan Posts: 128
    Options
    yum