Elliptical vs Tredmill...also running tips?

Options
Okay so I find that a burn more calories on the elliptical usually around 10 a min.. but I feel that running is much more of a workout.. what are you opions is one better than the other as far as toning goes? I really had an awesome run tonight sure I only ran 4.5 miles in a hour lol but it felt so good.. im getting started and hope to improve my time and miles!! any tips??

Replies

• Jdr8023
    Jdr8023 Posts: 11
    Options
    Get insanity its the best workout out there and alot more fun then running on the treadmill. ITs way better on your joints knees to be exact and its a short workout. I used to run on the treadmill, its tough on your knees. But the treadmill is way better then elliptical and its a way tougher workout.

Hope it helps
    JDR

PS
    Get insanity I back it 100 percent, its the best thing out there !!!!!
  • PetitePerfection
    PetitePerfection Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    With a treadmill, you definitely feel it more but I think that its because its higher impact. But you do have to keep up the same pace on a treadmill, whereas on an elliptical you can slow down significantly without even realizing it! I've found though that I can stay on an elliptical for much longer than a treadmill mainly because it doesn't hurt my knees as much....and to think I used to run cross country!!:laugh:
  • k9hrd
    k9hrd Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    Do whichever one you like better. Or switch it up from time to time just like you're doing. Neither is "better" than the other. They are both excellent cardio.
  • maryloo2011
    Options
    Why not just switch it up (which you should anyway!)? I love running but I also lovelove the bike. But I also know if I just do those two for cardio, it will be easier for my body to adapt so I throw in the elliptical and stairs as well.

I sooo echo how amazing running feels.... :D
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options
    I personally hate the elliptical because you have to make it an effort to stay at the same pace...and I often fall off that pace, lol. With a treadmill I can keep the intensity high by setting a certain pace and staying there until I push buttons on the machine to slow me down.

But when it all comes down to it, I agree with the others about switching it up and using both. I do a different cardio workout every time I do cardio, whether it's treadmill, cardio kickboxing classes, interval training, or the step mill. My body doesn't get used to the same thing all the time and it keeps progressing on everything...including overall health and fat loss.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    Get insanity its the best workout out there and alot more fun then running on the treadmill. ITs way better on your joints knees to be exact and its a short workout. I used to run on the treadmill, its tough on your knees. But the treadmill is way better then elliptical and its a way tougher workout.

Hope it helps
    JDR

PS
    Get insanity I back it 100 percent, its the best thing out there !!!!!

Being overweight is far worse on your knees than running is. And more than one study has found that the runners' knees were no more or less healthy than the nonrunners' knees

Read more: http://www.time.com/time/health/article/0,8599,1948208,00.html#ixzz1c3AdEIx9