Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

All Calories the Same?

I've been wondering if all calories are the same when it comes to weight loss. I've heard a lot of people talk about how they lost weight on low carb and/or low sugar diets. I was always under the impression that to lose weight, all you had to do was eat fewer calories than you were burning. So in theory, you could have a diet of chips and sweets and still lose weight as long as you stayed under a certain number of calories. Not a good idea, just an example.

So is this true, or will low carb low sugar diets help you lose more weight faster? I try to eat a balanced diet but I don't really pay attention to my carbs or sugars.

Replies

• taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    You got it right.
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Google the Twinkie diet....

I do believe you can lose on a deficit no matter the make up. However some people find deficits easier to handle if they go low, to low-ish carbs. Some find it easier if they eat normally and workout to create their deficit. Some care about maintaining muscle mass so they lift weights and eat protein. Some people like to lose weight quickly and be a little hungrier. Some like to eat more and lose weight slower. Some people feel better when they eat "clean". Some people eat Kraft Mac and Cheese (yum!)

Ya just gotta find what works for you.
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    So in theory, you could have a diet of chips and sweets and still lose weight as long as you stayed under a certain number of calories. Not a good idea, just an example.

You could, but ignoring macronutrient sufficiency can lead to excessive LBM loss. In other words, you wouldn't just lose fat.
    Additionally, micronutrient deficiencies could lead to health issues.

So can you lose weight due to calorie deficit by eating junk? Yes. But it would be foolish to do so for a long period of time.
  • Sublog
    Sublog Posts: 1,296 Member
    The amount of weight you lose is determined by your calorie intake. The type of weright you lose is determined by your macro-nutrient split, workout routein, genetics, and micro-nutrient intake.
  • shovav91
    shovav91 Posts: 2,335 Member
    That depends, do you want to be thin or do you want to be healthy and thin?
  • ashbergum
    ashbergum Posts: 30 Member
    The reasoning behind the low carb diet is because your body burns carbs for energy first, then fat, then protein. So if you are eating low to no carbs, in theory your body will use all fat for energy and you will lose more fat. :)