Are skin breakouts normal?

Options
Hi everyone, I've been using MFP for a month now and have never eaten so healthy, however, my skin has recurring blind pimple breakouts that are driving me nuts. It's like being a teen again! Any advice or comments greatly appreciated. Thanks! :)

Replies

• ACowboyKid
    Options
    Hello! I had breakouts pretty bad any time I change my diet so I would say yea it is normal. What you eat is going to effect your skin but keep eating healthy because you should clear up and maybe your skin quality will improve.

My experiences (which you totally dont have to read): So when I started using MFP I broke out like crazy but had always been someone with oily skin and tons of blackheads which never seemed to go away. I tried medicating with drug store stuff and none of it worked til I tried Purpose which is good for sensitive skin and is just a soap which doesn't strip your natural oils. I also switched my moisturizer to jojoba oil since slowly moisturizers began to make my skin burn. I also did egg white masks and baking soda masks as well because I like to try and pamper my skin. After about a month it all it cleared me up. After eating better and exercising for a while I stayed clear and the condition of my skin visibly improved to the point where strangers would compliment me when we were out (also went from oily to a sensitive/normal) but when I went back to junk I could really see a difference in my skin - blotchy, red, blackheads, zits galore. Currently I'm battling some acne now as I'm tying to jump back into the health kick after falling off last September.

Please keep in mind this is just me going off of what I have read randomly and my own experiences.
  • Guinivere
    Guinivere Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    Hiya! I can vouch for the poor skin too, before I got healthy - my skin was just like a teenager - and the spots were sore and angry, then about two weeks after I started to eat better and drink loads of water (the key to great skin), there was a rise in the spots as my body detoxed and then a dramatic improvement. My skin has been clear for a while now - but if I lapse into carbs, chocolates etc all the comfort food my skin flares up again - so my advice from my personal experience would be:

Committ totally to getting clear skin and eat like a caveman, meat, fish and veg for a 4 weeks with at least 2 litres (4 pints) of water a day and I bet you notice a difference. It takes about 4 weeks as I understand the skin renews itself evey 28 days, so the healthy eating and water has an effect on the new cells forming now....

Good luck! :-)
  • TXBlonde81
    TXBlonde81 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I notice that when I up my exercise I'll break out a lot. I try to remember to take my makeup off before working out and then wash my face pretty good after. Not sure about a dietary change. I just notice my hair and nails grow like crazy.
  • sophomorelove
    sophomorelove Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    I am happy to have found this discussion, even though it's 3 years old. I am facing the same problem. My skin is usually pretty clear, so I am not used to having breakouts, not even on my period. I guess I'll just have to wait it out and hope that in a few months the zits will disappear along with the extra lbs :)