Going on holiday to CA

Options
Hi all,

The wife and I are heading off on holiday next week, for three whole weeks (almost) in California, with stops in Phoenix and Vegas. This isn't to show off, but to ask a question. Obviously it means we're going to be eating out every meal of every day, what tips do locals/people who've been there have for some of the more healthier places to go? Can't say I fancy three weeks of McDonalds, KFC and Burger King!

Thanks,

Daniel

Replies

• april_beth
    april_beth Posts: 617 Member
    Options
    you will find TONS of mom and pop places that will definitely have healthy stuff on the menu...find those places and pay attention to what you eat/drink there BUT ENJOY YOUR VACATION!!!!!!! have fun. im so jealous. hide me in your trunk please??!!
  • medgib0823
    Options
    when my husband and i went to Vegas, we found a great chain called Baja Fresh!!! it is awesome! we ate there a lot!
  • LosingTheWeight2014
    Options
    In California for something healthy you can go to El Pollo Loco. The Flame Grill the chicken and you can order just a skinless chicken breast, side of veggies.

You can also go to In & Out Burger and get a protein burger, which is just like a regular burger, but they wrap it in lettuce with no bun. Yummy!
  • leomom72
    leomom72 Posts: 1,797 Member
    Options
    what about the hotels you are staying at..do they have a mini kitchen ?? if so, go grocery shopping, and cook your own meals..other than that, try to find healthy places, and opt for healthy choices..good luck, and have SO much fun:drinker:
  • rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    California is pretty fitness conscious-- you won't have too much trouble. Plenty of veggie wraps, fish tacos & salads just about everywhere you go. Just look for the places with the bikes parked out front!
  • TMLS
    TMLS Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Thanks all, in order:
    you will find TONS of mom and pop places that will definitely have healthy stuff on the menu...find those places and pay attention to what you eat/drink there BUT ENJOY YOUR VACATION!!!!!!! have fun. im so jealous. hide me in your trunk please??!!

I don't think the wife would like it, sorry! My first time in the States too so fun is definitely on my agenda.
    when my husband and i went to Vegas, we found a great chain called Baja Fresh!!! it is awesome! we ate there a lot!

On the list! Thanks!
    In California for something healthy you can go to El Pollo Loco. The Flame Grill the chicken and you can order just a skinless chicken breast, side of veggies.

You can also go to In & Out Burger and get a protein burger, which is just like a regular burger, but they wrap it in lettuce with no bun. Yummy!

Sounds great. In & Out was definitely something I wanted to try (they don't have franchises in the UK I don't think), now something to look for!
    what about the hotels you are staying at..do they have a mini kitchen ?? if so, go grocery shopping, and cook your own meals..other than that, try to find healthy places, and opt for healthy choices..good luck, and have SO much fun:drinker:

Not sure, we're either staying in cheap motels (some nights still not booked, find them on the road!) or a couple of swankier places (on the Queen Mary in Long Beach, bayside Hilton in San Diego for our wedding anniversary) so will see when we get there!
    California is pretty fitness conscious-- you won't have too much trouble. Plenty of veggie wraps, fish tacos & salads just about everywhere you go. Just look for the places with the bikes parked out front!

Good to know, I'm determined not to go too far over but you know what it's like when you're away!

Thanks all! :flowerforyou:
  • TMLS
    TMLS Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I'm back! Sadly, we found Denny's breaksfasts. Not good, but only put 4.4lbs on so I think fairly successful.

Amazing country, thanks for all the tips folks were bared in mind. Just not at breakfast ;)