Has anyone else noticed

I've noticed that if I am under in calories but over in just my fat macro, then I don't lose or gain. I weigh daily so I can monitor what foods affect my body in what ways. This is something that I have noticed in the last 6 months. Just curious if anyone else has noticed it or if anyone has any information they can share.

Replies

• melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    I am regularly over in fat but still lose weight keeping within my calorie goals. I think the macros affect us all differently, as some people are carb sensitive, some not, etc.
  • jak111
    jak111 Posts: 36
    Interesting! I am going to watch this for the next week or so and see how these affect my weight loss. Thanks for bringing this up!
  • ScarletFyre
    ScarletFyre Posts: 754 Member
    I only recently noticed that I will be a TON underin my calories and a bit over in fat - I noticed too recently to have seen if it affects my weight loss (or not) and had been alreaday debating experimenting with seeing if i lose quicker if i keep it under...now that you posted this, i am DEF going to try that experiment. It would make sense - shows its not just how much but WHAT you eat.

We'll see! if i can find this post again, I'll reply with my findings :smile:
  • Just1forMe
    Just1forMe Posts: 624 Member
    I've noticed that if I am under in calories but over in just my fat macro, then I don't lose or gain. I weigh daily so I can monitor what foods affect my body in what ways. This is something that I have noticed in the last 6 months. Just curious if anyone else has noticed it or if anyone has any information they can share.

Your weight is going to fluctuate daily regardless of your macros so I don't know that it is accurate to attribute the not losing or gaining to be slightly over in fat. It could be the variation in sodium or bloating or any number of other variables.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,294 Member

I think those are just coincidences not cause and affect. your daily weight can fluctuate for a number of reasons and the number 1 is water retention differences. Maybe the days you happen to be over in fat you are also over on sodium, this would be a more likely cause.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,228 Member

Your weight is going to fluctuate daily regardless of your macros so I don't know that it is accurate to attribute the not losing or gaining to be slightly over in fat. It could be the variation in sodium or bloating or any number of other variables.

Again, I've been weighing daily for six months. This is something I have noticed.
  • UsedToBeHusky

I think those are just coincidences not cause and affect. your daily weight can fluctuate for a number of reasons and the number 1 is water retention differences. Maybe the days you happen to be over in fat you are also over on sodium, this would be a more likely cause.

No. It is just fat.
  • erickirb
    fat in and of itself does not make you gain weight or lose less weight, it is calories that do. What you are seeing is a coincidence. This is another reason why weighing in every day is not a good idea.

If you really want to test what macros do for you try exceeding your fat goal everyday for 3-4 weeks, then do the same with carbs, and protein for 3-4 weeks each, then compare the average 3-4 week loss under each scenario all while keeping your net calories and water intake constant.

Going over on something one day will not necessary show up the next day, it may be the same day, next day or day after that and so on. So the gain you see the day after going over in fat, may be due to what you did the day before you went over on fat.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    fat in and of itself does not make you gain weight or lose less weight, it is calories that do. What you are seeing is a coincidence. This is another reason why weighing in every day is not a good idea.

If you really want to test what macros do for you try exceeding your fat goal everyday for 3-4 weeks, then do the same with carbs, and protein for 3-4 weeks each, then compare the average 3-4 week loss under each scenario.

Going over on something one day will not necessary show up the next day, it may be the same day, next day or day after that and so on. So the gain you see the day after going over in fat, may be due to what you did the day before you went over on fat.

I didn't say that I gained. I said that I did not gain and I did not lose. You know, your prescribed methods are not the only ones that work. I just wanted to know if anyone else was doing the same thing that I was and had made a similar observation. If you do not fall into this category, then there was no need for you to reply.
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    If you really want to test what macros do for you try exceeding your fat goal everyday for 3-4 weeks, then do the same with carbs, and protein for 3-4 weeks each, then compare the average 3-4 week loss under each scenario.
    Absolutely. This is the only way to test it. Weighing daily and saying "gee I ate a lot of fat yesterday and gained a pound from it" is not scientific whatsoever.
  • erickirb

I didn't say that I gained. I said that I did not gain and I did not lose. You know, your prescribed methods are not the only ones that work. I just wanted to know if anyone else was doing the same thing that I was and had made a similar observation. If you do not fall into this category, then there was no need for you to reply.

Fine, I was just pointing out that that observation is not cause and affect but rather a coincidence. If you want cause and affect you need to set up a controlled study.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    Absolutely. This is the only way to test it. Weighing daily and saying "gee I ate a lot of fat yesterday and gained a pound from it" is not scientific whatsoever.

Again, I did not say that I gained! Why does everyone have to think they are an authority on everything? I asked if anyone had made a similar observation. I did not ask anyone if you think I am wrong!!
  • Uerzer
    Uerzer Posts: 273

that and that!

And I've been weighting myself 5 times a day for 3 months. (my story here: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/Uerzer/view/am-i-the-only-one-to-be-in-love-with-my-scales-163047 my weight loss statistics on my signature)

1kcal of fat is the same thing than 1kcal of sugar :bigsmile: (there are 4 kcal in each gram of protein or carbs, and fat has 9kcal/g... still you are counting kcals, not grams here!)

:flowerforyou:
  • UsedToBeHusky

that and that!

And I've been weighting myself 5 times a day for 3 months. (my story here: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/Uerzer/view/am-i-the-only-one-to-be-in-love-with-my-scales-163047 my weight loss statistics on my signature)

1kcal of fat is the same thing than 1kcal of sugar :bigsmile: (there are 4 kcal in each gram of protein or carbs, and fat has 9kcal/g... still you are counting kcals, not grams here!)

:flowerforyou:

Quoting your blog:

"Seeing the weight repercussion of my intake makes me see short term results... And that helps getting motivated!."

^This is why I weigh every day. Sorry if you don't like my style.
  • Gigi_licious
    Gigi_licious Posts: 1,185 Member
    How bout not posting in the forums if you don't want opinions?
  • UsedToBeHusky
    How bout not posting in the forums if you don't want opinions?

Wow! Really? I never said that I didn't want an opinion, but I asked for an opinion from people who have noticed how certain macros can affect their weight loss. Opinions of a nature other than that aren't helpful and don't relate to my specific question. Fluctuation might be your opinion. All I asked was if someone had an opinion other than that. But instead I get attacked, by another poster, a particular poster who seems to be targeting me on different threads for weeks now. So NO, I don't want HIS opinion!
  • Just1forMe
    Just1forMe Posts: 624 Member
    Where did all the posts go??

If what you are noticing is not working for you, then try doing something different and see what happens (ie, eat less fat)...
  • UsedToBeHusky
    Where did all the posts go??

If what you are noticing is not working for you, then try doing something different and see what happens (ie, eat less fat)...

That is what I was thinking. Thanks for the suggestion. Other macros don't seem to affect me.
  • Uerzer
    Uerzer Posts: 273
    1kcal of fat is the same thing than 1kcal of sugar :bigsmile:

Quoting your blog:

"Seeing the weight repercussion of my intake makes me see short term results... And that helps getting motivated!."

I'm not against you weighting every day!
    I'm just saying that it doesn't allow you to achieve the conclusion than 1kcal of fat is more than 1kcal of anything else.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    1kcal of fat is the same thing than 1kcal of sugar :bigsmile:

Quoting your blog:

I'm not against you weighting every day!
    I'm just saying that it doesn't allow you to achieve the conclusion than 1kcal of fat is more than 1kcal of anything else.

I'm not saying that it does either. I just wanted to know if anyone had made a similar observation.