Homemade Energy Bars

Options
I bought some luna bars when they were on sale to keep in my desk at work. I really like having them there for me when I get a few minutes in-between my groups of kiddos (elementary school). I went to the store to buy some more and they are so expensive. There's no way I can make it a daily thing.

So I was thinking I could make some. I have oats, nuts, fruit, but no good recipe.

Has anyone had any good results from making their own bars? If so, could you please share your recipes? Thanks!

Replies

• lolakey
    lolakey Posts: 91
    Options
    I bought some luna bars when they were on sale to keep in my desk at work. I really like having them there for me when I get a few minutes in-between my groups of kiddos (elementary school). I went to the store to buy some more and they are so expensive. There's no way I can make it a daily thing.

So I was thinking I could make some. I have oats, nuts, fruit, but no good recipe.

Has anyone had any good results from making their own bars? If so, could you please share your recipes? Thanks!
  • jsonnett02
    Options
    Hey
    I have a good recipe, but I can't access it right now (I'm at school and no access to hotmail). I will try to remember to post it tonight. They are really yummy. They have oats, raisins, spices, very little sugar.
  • Poison5119
    Poison5119 Posts: 1,460 Member
    Options
    Preheat the oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.

Gather your ingredients:

2 cups oats
    3/4 cup wheat germ
    3/4 cup sunflower seeds
    1 cup peanuts, crushed
    2/3 cup brown sugar
    1/2 cup honey
    4 Tbsp butter
    2 tsp vanilla extract
    1/2 tsp Kosher salt
    approximately 8 oz. dried fruit

To crush your peanuts, put them in a plastic bag and smash them with a heavy mallet, measuring cup, or sauce pan.

Then, mix the peanuts, oats, wheat germ, and sunflower seeds in a baking dish with sides. Toast them in the oven for 10-12 minutes, stirring every few minutes so that they don’t get burned.

Meanwhile, prepare a glass baking dish (about 11 x 13 inches) for your granola by lining it with waxed paper lightly sprayed with a nonstick spray.

Put the brown sugar, honey, butter, vanilla, and salt into a saucepan and bring to a simmer, stirring constantly.

By now, your grains and nuts should be toasted, so mix everything together in a large bowl. The grains, the liquid “glue,” and the dried fruit.

Mix everything REALLY WELL because you want to make sure the “glue” gets all over everything. Now, dump your granola mixture into your prepared baking dish.

Spread out the mixture with a wooden spoon or spatula.

Now fold over the sides of the waxed paper or add a sheet on top, and PRESS HARD all over the granola. You want to compact it together so that your bars won’t fall apart when you cut them.

Wait 2-3 hours or until the granola has totally cooled.

Then, open the waxed paper …And carefully turn the granola onto a large cutting board, peeling away the rest of the paper.

Now, firmly pressing down with a big knife (not sawing), cut your granola into whatever size bars you’d like.

I wrapped ours individually in plastic wrap, so that we could just throw one into our bag or lunch box in the morning. If you’d like to save on packaging though, you can store yours in an airtight container, between sheets of waxed paper (so they don’t stick together).

Of course, you can mix up the recipe. I used peanuts because they’re what we had, but next time I’m going to make the granola nutless at first, but during the pressing-down part, I plan to press almonds into the top of the bars.

Another combo that would be fun to try is macadamia nuts, dried pineapple, and coconut flakes.
    Or try dried cranberries, walnuts, and white chocolate chips (just a few).
    I also plan to add flax seed to my granola mix.
  • lolakey
    lolakey Posts: 91
    Options
    Thanks!
  • jsonnett02
    Options
    Similar to the one above but different

GRANOLA BARS III

Part 1 (mix well)
    2C. quick oats
    1 C. flour
    ¾ C. brown sugar
    ½ C. raisins (or diced apple, dates, other)
    ½ C. wheat germ
    ½ tsp. salt
    ½ C. walnuts
    ***blend these all together, may add choc. Chips***

Part 2 (stir well)
    ½ C. vegetable oil
    ½ C. honey
    2 Tbs. corn syrup
    1 egg
    2 tsp. vanilla

Add part 2 into part 1 and mix well. Press into 9x13 dish, lined with foil or parchment paper, greased or sprayed with PAM.
    Bake 25-30 minutes @ 350 degrees. Let cool fully in pan, then cut.
  • Redbug
    Redbug Posts: 41
    Options
    What about nutritional information for the Granola Bars?
  • lolakey
    Options
    I experimented all weekend and I think I have two that will work for me. Thanks for all the ideas.