HEALTHY FAST FOOD???

Options
Is there such a thing as healthy fast food. I was just comparing jimmy johns to kfc....tsk......

Replies

• neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,021 Member
    Options
    Depends on your definition of healthy.
  • Lozze
    Lozze Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    Don't know what Jimmy Johns is but no, there is no healthy fast food.

Now you can have healthier fast food (such as Subway) but its still not the best for you.

There's nothing wrong with having fast food, as long as its in moderation and you're aware you're eating junk.
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    Depends on your definition of healthy.

^ that.
  • smudger_24
    smudger_24 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    The best and lowest I have found is a large chicken shish kebab, including salad and pitta it is approx 415 cals, yum! x
  • DarkAngel525
    Options
    Yeah, not very healthy stuff. Subway is good in a pinch but has ALOT of sodium, so be aware of that.

I will grab a Chick Fil A grilled (or fried if I have extra cals left) chicken salad. It has some romaine, tomatos, a little shredded cheese, broccoli, and carrots in it. It comes with sunflower seed and croutons, which I don't put on mine, but overall it's quite filling.

Without the croutons and seeds, and with the ranch dressing, I believe it comes to roughly 400 cals and 30g of fat.
  • SPheonix22
    SPheonix22 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Yeah.... Everything has bad choices but you canusually get healthy ones to0. Ex: Wendys apple pecan chicken salad. Subway lean regular sandwhiches 6 inch. You just have to search before hand. It helps that most fastfood joints post nutrion info now.
  • meemo88
    meemo88 Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    i go to kfc all the time..........get the grilled chicken breast, mashed potato and green beans its like under 400 cals

jimmy johns i get the totally turkey with no mayo but get avacado instead

;) dont listen to those peeps........i lost almost 70 lbs
  • mdbs2004
    mdbs2004 Posts: 220
    Options
    Its not the calories its the amount of sodium and fat. Supper high in everything. Subway is just as bad as Jimmy Johns. I was suprised to see a Jimmy Johns #5 Vito was almost as bad as a KFC Famous Bowl.
  • Lozze
    Lozze Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    Meemo which is why I said you can have healthier options. I still eat fast food occasionally but I know it's not healthy for me. Even the better options aren't going to be as healthy as something done at home.
  • Missjulesdid
    Missjulesdid Posts: 1,444 Member
    Options
    Chipotle is pretty healthy because you can choose what you want and their meats are actually meat and not weird processed stuff.
  • AlwaysWanderer
    AlwaysWanderer Posts: 641 Member
    Options
    i go to kfc all the time..........get the grilled chicken breast, mashed potato and green beans its like under 400 cals

jimmy johns i get the totally turkey with no mayo but get avacado instead

;) dont listen to those peeps........i lost almost 70 lbs
    Low calorie =/= healthy...
  • TaraMKL
    TaraMKL Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    My best advice is to go check out the websites of places you're thinking about and check out the nutrition facts for their menus. If I have to, here's what I do:

Wendy's, Sonic or McDonald's - Grilled chicken sandwich with no mayo, sometimes I don't eat the bun or just half of it. Side salad with lowfat dressing, no way do I use all of that huge packet either! My splurge is a diet coke sometimes. :)

Chipotle or Qdoba -- burrito bowl, no rice or brown rice, chicken and add the fajita vegetables. No cheese, no sour cream, add lettuce. Sometimes my splurge there is the guacamole -- healthy fat. :)

If you know you're going to get fast food one day, just plan ahead for your other meals. Sometimes eating a snack before I go helps me make sure I won't overindulge.

The other day I had a big water and chewed gum until our meals arrived. First time EVER I can say that I didn't have ANY of the chips and salsa. Things like that help me a ton!
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    I like Chick Fil A's Grilled Chicken Salad. No seperate toppings and only 1/2 of the low fat dressing. It's high in sodium but I don't think there is any fast food that has low sodium unless your just eating Veggies with nothing else.

From Chick Fil A's website

Salad
    180 Calories
    6g Fat
    4g Fiber 6g
    650mg Sodium

Low fat Italian dressing
    15 Calories
    0.5g Fat
    510mg Sodium
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    How about Wendy's chili? I haven't looked it up... probably high in sodium.
  • MD1978
    MD1978 Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    I check the website before going. They usally have nutritional informtion. In a pinch I get the southwest chicken salad at mcdonalds...i only use half the dressing.
  • allie864
    allie864 Posts: 298
    Options
    Meemo which is why I said you can have healthier options. I still eat fast food occasionally but I know it's not healthy for me. Even the better options aren't going to be as healthy as something done at home.
    Exactly.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,021 Member
    Options
    Looks like people here equate healthy with lower calories.......
  • Jolenebib
    Jolenebib Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    subway. veggie sandwich. no cheese. no oil. bread and veggies. sodium?
    sodium in the bread.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    Looks like people here equate healthy with lower calories.......
    Yep, because many of them are trying to lose weight while completely ignoring body composition.