PACKET OATMEAL.....

Options

Replies

• MD1978
    MD1978 Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    I add a little sugarfree french vanilla coffee creamer. Makes it creamy and a lillte sweet.
  • amandae79
    amandae79 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    as far as the pumpkin goes, I just add about a quarter cup of canned pumpkin and a sprinkle of cinnamon and nutmeg :) you could probably buy the pumpkin pie spice for additional flavor, but I am too cheap because I already have cinnamon and nutmeg...

THAT SOUNDS SOOOO yummy! I am def gonna buy some pumpkin next time I go shopping!
  • ksbelka
    ksbelka Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I love pumpking in my oatmeal. I cook a packet of regular oats, then stir in 1/2 cup canned pumpkin, 1 tsp brown sugar, 1 TBSP chopped walnuts and sprinkle with cinnamon. 220 calories, 6 grams fiber.
  • MissMaryMac33
    MissMaryMac33 Posts: 1,433 Member
    Options
    I often use quinoa flakes instead of oatmeal....but even with oatmeal, i buy the plain stuff and nuke it with almond milk -- then I add things like a tbsp of greek yogurt, pumpkin, applesauce, chica/flax seeds, walnuts, flavored agave (i love the amaretto) ---
  • KriscoOil
    KriscoOil Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    What is the purpose (advantages/disadvantages) whey protein.
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    I LOVE packages of oatmeal. They are taste, fast and I can keep them at work and make them when ever I am hungry. Right now, i just eat what ever looks yummy! Like right now I have the regular Quaker Oatmeal packets that have cin and apple, maple and brown sugar. My question is...i know there is a lot of sugar in them...so what brands do you like? Flavors??

Although there are healthier alternatives like many of the posters have commented making the old fashioned oats and add your own stuff to it. But that being said I eat the flavored packets every morning. It's quick and easy and I just add it into may calories for that day.
  • MissMaryMac33
    MissMaryMac33 Posts: 1,433 Member
    Options
    I love pumpking in my oatmeal. I cook a packet of regular oats, then stir in 1/2 cup canned pumpkin, 1 tsp brown sugar, 1 TBSP chopped walnuts and sprinkle with cinnamon. 220 calories, 6 grams fiber.

This works perfect with a little 6oz container of Fage 0% greek yogurt too -- its my favorite way to sweeten that up too.
  • msh0530
    msh0530 Posts: 1,675 Member
    Options
    I am always in a hurry, so to save time, I make this mix ahead with a few changes:

Spiced Oatmeal Mix from tasteofhome.com:
    18 Servings Prep/Total Time: 15 min.
    Ingredients
    8 cups quick-cooking oats
    1-1/2 cups chopped mixed dried fruit
    1/2 cup sugar
    1/2 cup packed brown sugar
    2-1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
    1 teaspoon salt
    1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
    Directions
    In a large bowl, combine all of the ingredients. Store in an airtight container for up to 1 month.
    To prepare oatmeal: Contents of mix may settle during storage. When preparing recipe, spoon mix into measuring cup. In a deep microwave-safe bowl, combine 1/2 cup oatmeal mix and 1 cup water. Microwave, uncovered, on high for 1-2 minutes or until bubbly, stirring every 30 seconds. Let stand for 1-2 minutes before serving. Yield: 18 servings.
    Editor's Note: This recipe was tested in a 1,100-watt microwave.
    Nutrition Facts: 1 cup prepared oatmeal equals 210 calories, 3 g fat (trace saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 137 mg sodium, 42 g carbohydrate, 4 g fiber, 6 g protein.

My changes: I replace the white sugar with splenda, up the spices because I like them, and leave out the dried fruit. Then in the morning, I can just scoop out 1/2 cup, add peanut butter, raisins, strawberries, dried cranberries, apples or whatever I want that day, pop it in the microwave, and there is breakfast! If I wanted to take it to work like a packet, I can put it in a ziploc and add dried fruit to that. I just leave the dried fruit out of the original recipe so that I can change the flavor from day to day.
  • inotnew
    inotnew Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    bump
  • LosingTheWeight2014
    Options
    I use the Quaker Oatmeal Vareity Pack with 25% less sugar. I find them at walmart and I have 2 of them a day, one for breakfast and one before bed. I have a bad habit of getting up in the middle of night to eat if I don't and since I've been eating it right before bed, I haven't gotten up to snack in the middle of the night in 4 months.
  • jessilyn76
    jessilyn76 Posts: 532 Member
    Options
    Quaker does make the lower sugar option.
  • whit1108
    Options
    The oat fits are really good and only 100 calories per packet!! :)
  • Mynue_Jeens
    Mynue_Jeens Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Adding applesauce to the plain is a good idea. Maybe even pureed banana... Great ideas here guys :)
  • victor73
    victor73 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I've had the Kashi - Heart to Heart Apple Cinnamon Oatmeal, but ever since I've started eating freshly made steel-cut oatmeal, there's no contest. I usually have my oatmeal with bananas.
  • cr0wneddynam0
    Options
    I, like you, enjoy having a quick easy meal I can take on the go, but the Quaker oatmeal is way too sweet for me. I really enjoy Trader Joe's Oatmeal Complete in Maple and Brown Sugar. It has only 9 grams of sugar and 7 grams of protein.

Now that I have checked out the Quaker facts online, it looks like their maple and brown sugar variety has the same amount of sugar. If you don't consume a lot of added sugar in your day then I would think that you're doing alright, especially if it works for you and keeps you satisfied and on track.
  • byHISstrength
    byHISstrength Posts: 984 Member
    Options
    Great post...I really need to start eating more oatmeal.

Thanks for all the great suggestions.
  • dsckrc
    dsckrc Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I get the sugar free maple and brown sugar. 100 calorie packets and i don't have to add anything! quick and yummy!!! I am not a fan of the sugar free apple cinammon though - pretty bland. I love the idea of adding pumpkin to regular oatmeal... will definitely try.
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    What is the purpose (advantages/disadvantages) whey protein.

Whey protein is a supplement used to help you hit your protein intake for the day. It's cheap on a per g basis, it is a very bioavailable form of protein, and it's convenient.

That being said, if you are already hitting your protein targets without whey, it's not a necessity.
  • dargytaylor
    dargytaylor Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    I add a little sugarfree french vanilla coffee creamer. Makes it creamy and a lillte sweet.

good idea!
  • 202685tracy
    202685tracy Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I know the packets of oatmeal are convenient, but you really aren't getting the most bang for your buck because they are processed way more than the old fashioned oats and steel cut. I use the steel cut myself because I like the texture. You can make a big batch on sunday and reheat them as you eat them throughout the week with a little water, almond milk, skim milk or whatever you want and then add all the other yummy stuff. I have been getting away from processed foods, which are high in chemicals that your body simply shouldn't have and added sugar and salt as well, and eating "clean" and I tell you I feel so much better!