Stretching

Options
The question has been raised ....

Stretching cold muscles good or not....I’m sure there will be many opinions...

I have done both stretch cold muscles and warmed up muscles either i was stretching wrong but i did not feel the difference.

My stretching routines usually last about 30-45 minutes of repetitiveness and each time I try to stretch a little farther and longer...

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,622 Member
    Options

I have done both stretch cold muscles and warmed up muscles either i was stretching wrong but i did not feel the difference.

My stretching routines usually last about 30-45 minutes of repetitiveness and each time I try to stretch a little farther and longer...
    Not good unless you're doing dynamic stretching. You don't want to do static stretching as a warm up. It's like trying to pull a cold rubberband compared to one that's been warmed up. You may not feel it, but you will when something pulls or strains.
  • purplebabe2025
    purplebabe2025 Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    Please give ME advice on this as I always pull my calf muscles. I'm nursing one now. Yes I have researched it, always looking for other answers.

Bump.
  • RunJasonRun
    RunJasonRun Posts: 82 Member
    Options

Not good unless you're doing dynamic stretching. You don't want to do static stretching as a warm up. It's like trying to pull a cold rubberband compared to one that's been warmed up. You may not feel it, but you will when something pulls or strains.

So what are some good dynamics and some statics?
  • Lozze
    Lozze Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    The best way to warm up cold muscles is by moving your body. A jog, star jumps, jumping will all do what is needed.

Static stretching is great for flexibility but will not get you warm.
  • Sweet13_Princess
    Sweet13_Princess Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    I like to stretch afterwards. It just feels uncomfortable to do it before I'm totally warmed up.

My gym instructors have told me that muscles work less efficiently if you stretch before working out.

However, I just read an article in Fitness magazine that said to continue whatever stretching regimin you have. Changing it can cause an injury.

Shannon
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    Please give ME advice on this as I always pull my calf muscles. I'm nursing one now. Yes I have researched it, always looking for other answers.

Bump.
    If you're pulling calf muscles then they either aren't conditioned enough for the task or your flexibility in them is limited.
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    So what are some good dynamics and some statics?
    Here's a quick video of some that I do.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZplXyO-q4eo