Posterior Shin Splints

I jogged outdoors for the first time in years yesterday. I did about 50/50 walking jogging(with my pup) for almost 3 miles. Well later that day the inner part of my calves were tender. It felt sooo good running and my heart rate went way up. I really really want to run today, especially before my friend's bday weekend where we will be wine tasting, bbq, etc. I have been doing 5miles with Leslie Sansone so I thought that was enough to prepare me for jogging just a bit..but i still got an injury :( Maybe I started off with too much jogging?? Anyway any advice would be appreciated!

Replies

• Jolenebib
    Jolenebib Posts: 142 Member
    Get better shoes. The right shoes will help minimize/reduce shin splints. There are also exercises that you can do to stretch and strengthen the muscles so that you avoid shin splints. Make sure you ice after running and take some ibuprofen to reduce inflammation and help with the pain. If they get too bad the ONLY thing that will make them better is not running and letting them heal.
  • wjkfloyd
    wjkfloyd Posts: 125
    If your shoes bend in, you may have pronation. Stop at a New Balance or other sneaker/running store where they sell shoes that support the side arches of your feet. This should help with the splints.
  • hello77kitty
    hello77kitty Posts: 260 Member
    If your shoes bend in, you may have pronation. Stop at a New Balance or other sneaker/running store where they sell shoes that support the side arches of your feet. This should help with the splints.

What do you mean bend in?? I jogged in New Balance Toning shoes. I thought they were pretty comfortable when jogging in em. I know they are made for walking..but I tried jogging anyways. I do have flat feet so I read that could be a factor in posterior splints. How much do fitted running shoes cost? I've been spending a lot of $$ fiitness things lately :/
  • conchita962
    conchita962 Posts: 327 Member

What do you mean bend in?? I jogged in New Balance Toning shoes. I thought they were pretty comfortable when jogging in em. I know they are made for walking..but I tried jogging anyways. I do have flat feet so I read that could be a factor in posterior splints. How much do fitted running shoes cost? I've been spending a lot of $$ fiitness things lately :/

A little tip: Do NOT run in walking shoes!!!! If you like New Balance you can go to joesnewbalanceoutlet.com I got 740's for $49 bucks!!! They are way cheaper than anywhere else I've checked and they have a no questions asked return policy. I would definitely go to a local running store and have them look at your gate if needed. I would most definitely not run until you get running shoes. I've been dealing with shin splints for awhile now and they suck!!

Good luck to ya!
  • l8bl00mer
    l8bl00mer Posts: 3 Member
    Hi, I used to use Nike Shox for walking/running, cardio, strength training but had these nasty pain on my shins which prevented me from going forward. I didn't know what they were back then until I spoke to a trainer. She told me they were shin splints and to check out ASICS. The ASICS website guided me to see what type of shoes I should be getting with the wet feet test. After getting the ASICS Gel Kayano, I've NEVER experienced those nasty shin splints---I now have gone through 3 pairs!!!