1200? Yes or No

Options
The magic number 1200 calories a day - does that apply to everyone? I cant see how 6'2" bodybuilder weighing 250lbs, and someone 4'10" weighing 100lbs will be ok eating the same number of calories (by ok I mean not go into so called "starvation mode" and get "adequate" nutrition). Can someone explain that to me please?

Replies

• ReginasHorror
    ReginasHorror Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    bump
  • cee134
    cee134 Posts: 33,711 Member
    Options
    You need to talk to your doctor to see if it is right for you. It all depends on your body type and other factors your doctor can measure. DO NOT take advice on this subject, get your doctor's opinion so you know what is right for you. Your doctor will know, based on your physical and other tests, what your body needs and what you can do.
  • Uerzer
    Uerzer Posts: 273
    Options
    You need to talk to your doctor to see if it is right for you. It all depends on your body type and other factors your doctor can measure. DO NOT take advice on this subject, get your doctors opinion so you know what is right for you. Your doctor will know, based on your physical and other tests, what your body needs and what you can do.

^^ That

It is hard to get all essential macro/micro nutrients if you don't eat enough food, I guess "they decided" to put the limit at 1200kcal to separate healthy diets to those that aren't

Quoting & Translating fisterra.com (a website for GPs): "A diet is quantitatively accurate when providing the appropriate energy, (maintaining or achieving ideal weight) and provides all the vitamins and minerals in at least 2 / 3 of the Recommended Daily Needs. Diets under 1500 calories do not guarantee that"
  • killerqueen17
    killerqueen17 Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    The magic number 1200 calories a day - does that apply to everyone? I cant see how 6'2" bodybuilder weighing 250lbs, and someone 4'10" weighing 100lbs will be ok eating the same number of calories (by ok I mean not go into so called "starvation mode" and get "adequate" nutrition). Can someone explain that to me please?

It's not a magic number, it's a guideline. For me personally, I can stick to about 1100 and be fine, as long as it's good quality calories with enough protein. Many people need more than 1200, and yes, some are fine with less. You just have to see what works for your body... 1200 is a good starting place, though.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    American College of Sports Medicine (ACSM) recommends that calorie levels never drop below 1200 calories per day. It is a guidline, but yes a 110 lb person 4'9" may be able to safely go to 1000 cals whereas for males the number they should not go below is 1500 but of course if he is 5'2" 125 lbs, he could probably safely do 1200 cals. It is just a guideline and for the majority of people 1200 cals is too low.
  • gennybunny1
    Options
    For the average person 1200 cals is the bare minimum. For someone like me who is obese, I can go as low as 800 cals a day with no excercise and lose weight because my body has so much energy to use. I stick to 1400- 1600 cals a day however because it keeps me sane and I will not feel deprived and I am losing weight,
    It does depend on many factors however and I have found that it is a bit of trial and error to get it right.

Good luck and have a great day.
  • Saruman_w
    Saruman_w Posts: 1,531 Member
    Options
    Does't apply to EVERYONE but it worked for me for awhile before having to bump it up some to shed off some of the last few stubborn lbs.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    As others have said... it is a rule of thumb geared towards "the average" american, so take it for what it's worth.

A little research and a little common sense will go a long way in helping you decide what is right for you.
  • scorpio516
    scorpio516 Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    I have also read that while 1200 is the low point for females, males should not go below 1600 for an extended period of time. I'd have to look around to see where I found that though.
  • HannahMarieMcDougald
    Options
    Bump