Body Fat % Calculators

Beezil
Beezil Posts: 1,677 Member
Okay, so I realize the most accurate way (according to google) to calculate body fat % is by doing a water displacement test. But I was just wondering - do the online calculators have much accuracy? I've tried quite a few today after doing my measurements, and I got a lot of different numbers. Averaging them out, I got 24.18% This was using 7 different results.

Using just this site: http://www.healthstatus.com/cgi-bin/calc/calculator.cgi
I got this
Using your measurements of a 28 inches waist and weight of 135 pounds your body fat percentage is estimated to be 25.06 % using the U.S. Army body fat algorithm, or 22.25 % using the U.S. Marine body fat algorithm, or 19.73 % using the U.S. Navy body fat algorithm, or 30.24 % using the formula developed by the YMCA.

So I'm kind of confused. :|

Replies

• sixpacking
    sixpacking Posts: 148 Member
    calipers are cheap too; they're 2nd most accurate. I think the online calculators would be somewhat inaccurate because, me and you can weigh the same, but our body mass can be totally different., that's where skinfold calipers come in handy.
  • I did the water test last yr. My BMI was exactly the same as the online test.
  • risefromruin
    risefromruin Posts: 483 Member
    Do you go to a gym?? They should be able to do it for you accurately.
  • Beezil
    I did the water test last yr. My BMI was exactly the same as the online test.

Which one did you use online?

And no, I don't go to a gym unfortunately, can't afford it.

I may be able to afford some calipers though. :) Thanks guys! <3
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Was reasonable for me. Had me at 12.97% at the lowest, two other readings were between 13 and 14, and the army method was like 18%.
  • hajjcomb
    hajjcomb Posts: 118 Member
    Averaging those out will probably give you a ballpark, but I would try and find someone to do a caliper test for you. That is more accurate than the bioelectrical impedance. I wouldn't put too much faith in the online calculators personally.

Skin fold testing has a margin of error of approx. 4% when done correctly, bioelectrical impedance runs ~ 4-7% error. Hydrostatic is 2-3%.

Waist to hip ratios and the likes are better indicators of fat distribution which may be a helpful predictor of disease risk.
  • You guys look awesome! LOL, very inspiring (first two girls :smile: , I read your stories...) I hope to look like you guys by spring! :flowerforyou:
  • chele76
    chele76 Posts: 28 Member
    I get my body fat tested monthly by my Personal Trainer - he uses those evil torture devices called calipers.

For laughs I tried the site you link above. I would not rely on its accuracy at all.

Per the website I am "50.56 % using the U.S. Army body fat algorithm, or 47.88 % using the U.S. Marine body fat algorithm, or 44.06 % using the U.S. Navy body fat algorithm, or 44.18 % using the formula developed by the YMCA. "

Per my last measurement using calipers I was 24% - what a HUGE difference.

Also I do not recommend using the type built into scales these days. The technology they use (sending a small electrical pulse through your body and seeing how fast / slow the signal returns) is not accurate when you are not laying down... kinda hard to step on a scale while you are laying down ;-). Also I had invested in one of those scales a few years ago, and even this morning it read 37% and I know that is completely inaccurate.

If you belong to a gym - see if they have anyone who will do a caliper test for you.
  • Beezil
    Thank you all - you've been very helpful! :) Much appreciated! <3
  • shamr0ck
    shamr0ck Posts: 296 Member
    DEXA is the method that i use, and it's rapidly becoming the gold standard for body composition measurement. My trainer had my bodyfat at 24% with calipers, and i was fairly certain that was not correct. DEXA put me at 40% - high, and it pissed me off, but it's more accurate. It was surprisingly in line with what my Withings scale says, as well.

I'm having a second DEXA done in a week, since it's been three months since my first one. i'm hoping to see significant improvement. The online evaluators linked put me at 24%, btw
  • Beezil
    DEXA is the method that i use, and it's rapidly becoming the gold standard for body composition measurement. My trainer had my bodyfat at 24% with calipers, and i was fairly certain that was not correct. DEXA put me at 40% - high, and it pissed me off, but it's more accurate. It was surprisingly in line with what my Withings scale says, as well.

I'm having a second DEXA done in a week, since it's been three months since my first one. i'm hoping to see significant improvement. The online evaluators linked put me at 24%, btw

How does the "DEXA" method work?
  • easfahl
    easfahl Posts: 567 Member
    Thanks for sharing. I'll be interested to try it when I get home to my tape measure.
  • shamr0ck
    shamr0ck Posts: 296 Member
    Info on DEXA body composition scan:

http://blue.regence.com/trgmedpol/radiology/rad41.html
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dual-energy_X-ray_absorptiometry
    http://www.bodycompositioncenter.com/what.html

Basically, you lie on a table, as still as possible, while the xray scanner passes over your body. It takes 3 measurements, calculating your bone mineral density (its original use was to pinpoint osteoporosis), muscle mass and fat mass. I get mine done at the University of Texas, and they provide a 4 page printout which shows a full body mass breakdown, the proportions in each section that is measured, and how much fat mass you need to lose to reach "normal" for your age/gender/height. They also provide nutritional counseling to help reach those goals. The printout is extremely informative and helpful, imo.