New runner....need some opinions please!

Options
I had just started doing C25K- and was on week 3 when I was struck down with a HORRIBLE chest cold. The cough has cleared up now and I'd like to get back into my running. Should I pick up where I left off, or should I backtrack a week? I had one run left of week 3 before advancing to week 4 and I'm worried that I won't be ready to move on.

Question 2- I live in Alberta...where fall is cold, and winter is really cold. What sort of gear do you all reccomend for outdoor winter running? Or is better to move indoors to a treadmill?

Thanks so much for your help!

Replies

• gleechick609
    Options
    I would try to continue where you left off at and see if you can do it. If not, start back at Week 2.

As for the cold, compression shirts, compression pants, mittens, a beanie cap and a fleece jacket. Once you start running, you may want to strip your jacket so make sure it can tie around your waist!

Good luck!
  • suzi67
    suzi67 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I'm in BC, just to start...
    I was sick part way through my C25K training, and decided to start completely over, which I probably could have just gone back a week. I have also decided to go to my local indoor track during the cold months here, and maybe longer, because I prefer the surface better than Hwy. 1.
    Good running to you, I haven't done a run in a month (life stuff) but I'm almost at the full 5k of running. My last one was just short of 4k.
  • feydruss
    feydruss Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    I would go back a week or two, if I were you. Just a head cold doesn't make much difference, but with a chest cold you might find it harder to breathe as you recover. And the air is much colder now (yay, right?).

As for running here in the winter, I did my first RR clinic in January one year during major blizzards. Yuck. I would wear leggings/tights under polar fleece pants (with a wind pant if needed), then a wicking long sleeve shirt under more polar fleece and a running jacket. Lululemon hat, fleece mittens, and yaktrax on the shoes.

Let me know if you want company sometime. I'm just getting back into running after a long hiatus and will be SLOW but motivated!