Amazing Green Tea+Lemon Benefits!

Options
So most of you probably heard how green tea can help speed up your metabolism, but there are so many other AMAZING benefits you might have not known about. Adding lemon to green tea boost its antioxidant properties, since lemon and green tea antioxidants complement each other. Read further of green tea and lemon benefits, and the fantastic benefits of combining the two together! If you don't have time to read it all read the sections called "BENEFITS IN SHORT".

***GREEN TEA BENEFITS***
What makes green tea special apart from other teas is the way it's processed, it's steamed. It has a valuable compound EGCG, EGCG is a powerful anti-oxidant: besides inhibiting the growth of cancer cells, it kills cancer cells without harming healthy tissue.

BENEFITS IN SHORT:

-EGCG compound helps inhibit growth of cancer cells
-Inhibits the abnormal formation of blood clots: lowers your chances of heart attach, stroke and heart disease
-Helps lower LDL cholesterol levels
-Its bacteria-destroying abilities can help prevent food poisoning and tooth decay!
-Helps rheumatoid arthritis
-Helps fight infections
-Helps to speed up your metabolism
-Green tea can also aid in digestion, and it has astringent properties that help cleanse the body.

FURTHER EXPLAINED:
Green tea is the best food source of a group called catechins. Catechins are more powerful than vitamins C and E in halting oxidative damage to cells and appear to have other disease-fighting properties. Studies have found an association between consuming green tea and a reduced risk for several cancers, including, skin, breast, lung, colon, esophageal, and bladder.

The antioxidants in green, black, and oolong teas can help block the oxidation of LDL (bad) cholesterol, increase HDL (good) cholesterol and improve artery function.

The usual amount is three cups per day. Allow tea to steep for three to five minutes to bring out its catechins. The best way to get the catechins and other flavonoids in tea is to drink it freshly brewed. Decaffeinated, bottled ready-to-drink tea preparations, and instant teas have less of these compounds.
Tea can prevent the absorption of iron from fruits and vegetables. Adding lemon or drinking tea between meals will counteract this problem. Do not add milk like some sites may say, it reduces and destroys the antioxidants.

***ADDING LEMON TO GREEN TEA BENEFITS***
But a new study indicates that adding citrus juice or vitamin C can significantly boost the bioavailability of those compounds, which have been linked to lowered cancer risk as well as improved heart and brain health. You can make your own lemon green tea by brewing green tea and squeezing one-quarter of a lemon.

BENEFITS IN SHORT:

-Lemon is also rich in antioxidants, including flavonoids, which have been shown to aid in the prevention of cancer.
-Lemon juice is rich in ascorbic acid. Ascorbic acid has cleansing properties, which is beneficial to the body.
-Helps to slow down symptoms of arthritis.
-Helps strengthen the immune system
-Lemon juice can also act as a stimulant that can help increase your energy level

FURTHER EXPLAINED:
Lemons are a rich source of ascorbic acid – or vitamin C – and researchers from Purdue University demonstrated that catechins can be absorbed up to three times as fast by human intestinal cells and get to the bloodstream in the presence of the vitamin.

Sources:
http://www.health.harvard.edu/press_releases/benefit_of_drinking_green_tea
http://www.webmd.com/food-recipes/features/health-benefits-of-green-tea
http://chinesefood.about.com/library/weekly/aa011400a.htm
http://www.drweil.com/drw/u/ART02914/How-to-Boost-Green-Tea-Benefits.html
http://www.ehow.com/about_5415438_benefits-lemon-green-tea.html

Replies

• amelia_atlantic
    amelia_atlantic Posts: 926 Member
    Options
    Thanks for posting and doing the research!

Does green tea ever upset anyone else's stomach if you haven't eaten much prior to drinking it?

Any tips (besides eating) to make that stop?! I like to start my day with some green tea/yerba mate but if I don't have breakfast I'm super nauseous.
  • fitjunk
    fitjunk Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Green tea drinker for years!! Lipton makes the best flavor..Lemon Ginseng Green Tea. SSOO good and smells awesome to,really fresh!:drinker:
  • Silverkittycat
    Silverkittycat Posts: 1,997 Member
    Options
    Does green tea ever upset anyone else's stomach if you haven't eaten much prior to drinking it? Does green tea ever upset anyone else's stomach if you haven't eaten much prior to drinking it?

Yes, I'm the same way. Have you tried white teas? I like plain white or white very lightly flavored with pear. You can also try green tea blended with white, it's a bit smoother. :smile:
  • MadeOfMagic
    MadeOfMagic Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    You welcome!

Actually my co-worker just told me it upsets her stomach too. It could be because tea is very high on the high acid/alkaline scale, so the acidity may have cause this reaction for you. It's also has a lot caffeine (much much less than coffe) which can totally make your tummy upset. It's actually weird cause tea is used to relieve stomach aches. Makre sure the tea your drink is as fresh as possible.

If nothing eat a small snack which will help tremedously, but here are some other ways to prevent tummy ache:

*Drink green tea tea when it's cooled a bit. Scalding tea can damage your digestive system. Conversely, compounds in tea like Catechins, Theanine, and vitamins C and B diminish over time through oxidation, so the health benefits are strongest with FRESH tea. Old tea can also harbor bacteria.

*Avoid tea that's excessively concentrated. Too-strong tea contains huge amounts of caffeine and polyphenols. The excess of caffeine and polyphenols can cause indigestion.

*Drink tea an hour before or after meals.
    Thanks for posting and doing the research!

Does green tea ever upset anyone else's stomach if you haven't eaten much prior to drinking it?

Any tips (besides eating) to make that stop?! I like to start my day with some green tea/yerba mate but if I don't have breakfast I'm super nauseous.
  • redfroggie
    redfroggie Posts: 591 Member
    Options
    Sainsburys has a nice Green Tea with Lemon (bags), I make a quart container, chill it and drink it over ice, YUM!
  • MadeOfMagic
    Options
    Just found another awesome benefit of green tea:

Green tea inhibits fat absorption and helps glucose regulation - the catechins in green tea help inhibit the movement of glucose into fat cells. Green tea may also function as a glucose regulator, preventing insulin spikes and making it perfect for diabetics.
  • MadeOfMagic
    Options
    Sainsburys has a nice Green Tea with Lemon (bags), I make a quart container, chill it and drink it over ice, YUM!

OMG sounds ymmy! I am going to get tea today so I think I may try that one!
  • schmenly
    schmenly Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the info, I am terrible about getting liquids into me, so I think I might try a few cups a day...
  • scruz2521
    Options
    :bigsmile: love this!!! I'm definitely reposting lol it was very informational which leads me to a follow up question...I've heard various myths about "diet" products being worse for the body as opposed to beneficial, so what is there to say about *lipton's diet green tea*
  • callmejon
    Options
    I'll give green tea another go.

I never drink tea-tea, only mint tea and the fruity stuff but never really liked the one green tea I tried.
  • MadeOfMagic
    Options
    So glad you liked the post! I now go around telling everyone to drink green tea, the benefits are just fantastic.
    And as far diet lipton tea goes-one thing I know for sure it's has nothing beneficial for you other than H2O. Plus all the things that go into it to make it "diet" can't be good for the body :P
    :bigsmile: love this!!! I'm definitely reposting lol it was very informational which leads me to a follow up question...I've heard various myths about "diet" products being worse for the body as opposed to beneficial, so what is there to say about *lipton's diet green tea*
  • MadeOfMagic
    Options
    I feel ya! I pretty much never drank "real tea" just tea sweet drinks, in fact I love Peach Snapple Iced Tea so much, it's to die for-yummmmmmmyyyneesss but it has too many calories, and the diet one is sooo gross :P
    I suggest pick a green tea that has fruit flavor, I got peach one and it tastes yummy with the lemon :)
    I'll give green tea another go.

I never drink tea-tea, only mint tea and the fruity stuff but never really liked the one green tea I tried.
  • JulesAssimacopoulou
    Options
    Thank you for the information! I have been trying to find something that will boost my digestion as it is very slow. I found that exercising in the morning would boost it but would make me feel hungry all day and I would end up eating the wrong things. I don't really enjoy drinking anything without milk. But since you suggest all these benefits I will definitely give it a try and drink 3 cups a day.
  • MadeOfMagic
    Options
    Thank you for the information! I have been trying to find something that will boost my digestion as it is very slow. I found that exercising in the morning would boost it but would make me feel hungry all day and I would end up eating the wrong things. I don't really enjoy drinking anything without milk. But since you suggest all these benefits I will definitely give it a try and drink 3 cups a day.

More than happy to share, it's amazing how many benefits the two combined have!
  • zoh7
    zoh7 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Thanks! I tried that before i saw this post.. it really tastes so good:)
  • jadedhippo
    jadedhippo Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Yup, ever since I started drinking lemon & ginger green tea a year or two ago I haven't had any cavities etc! Is great
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    Shame those no actual Science backing any of these claims up. If you like it drink it but don't expect any miracles
  • ammymickens
    Options
    Green tea and heart disease: Green tea helps prevent heart disease and stroke by lowering the level of cholesterol. Even after the heart attack it prevents cell deaths and speeds up the recovery of heart cells.

Green tea and Anti-aging: Green tea contains an antioxidant known as polyphenols which fight against free radicals. What this means it helps you fight against aging and promotes longevity.

Green tea and weight loss: Green tea helps with your body weight loss. Green tea burns fat and boosts your metabolism rate naturally. It can help you burn up to 70 calories in just one day. That translates to 7 pounds in one year.

Know more here http://forum.internationaldrugmart.com/general-discussion-f67/medicinal-benefits-green-tea-t5898.html
  • alizaman58910049
    Options
    Thank you i am drinking green tea with lemon as i type :)
  • shanemartin1291421
    Options
    The part of green tea that causes stomach irritation especially when the stomach is empty is the caffiene. There are many brands of green tea with no caffiene (Kirkland brand for you costco members). Just find a decaf brand you like and sip away.