Crockpot time question

Options
crdav13
crdav13 Posts: 53 Member
So I got a crockpot for Christmas two years ago (that I asked for mind you!) but have yet still to use! I want to go grocery shopping this weekend and finally make something in it so I've been going through recipes. My question is - I live by myself so would probably cut most portions in half just so I'm not eating the same thing for a whole week...does this change the amount of time I leave something in the crockpot? Thanks in advance for my lack of crockpot knowledge!

Replies

• Hoppymom
    Hoppymom Posts: 1,158 Member
    Options
    I'd make the full batch and freeze the leftovers in portion controlled amounts. Cook once, eat many times. I used mine last night for chili. I often stick two large pot roasts in at bed time and eat one for supper the next night with my family and freeze the rest for lunches or suppers later in the month.
  • SamanthaEMartin
    Options
    I would cook it for the same amount of time. Just make sure it does not boil off all the liquid and burn. I have a large crock pot and often make the full recipie and devide it into servings then freeze the extra for nights when I don't have time to cook. All the best!
  • rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    In most crock pot models, the heating element goes all the way up the sides--not just no the bottom. So if you make half recipes, you run the risk of the empty top part of the crock pot drying out and messing up your recipe.

I actually own three crock pots of different sizes for precisely that reason.