Regarding locked threads.

Options
Tiffanydepiano
Tiffanydepiano Posts: 169 Member
What bad things do you suppose the moderators believe will happen if people argue or discuss differences of opinion in the threads?

I am not trying to be sarcastic honestly, although I do find it curious. I don't know why we can't discuss what we want. It seems that if there is a chit chat category.....I think you know where I am going with this.

Replies

• bry_all01
    bry_all01 Posts: 3,100 Member
    Options
    was it your intent to get a thread you created locked and possibly deleted?
  • Iamfit4life
    Iamfit4life Posts: 3,095 Member
    Options
    I've often wondered the same.

But people here get very sensitive. A TON of different types on here. I do wish we could have discussions as adults, and have fun as adults.

But sometimes it's taken to a juvenile level?
  • PBJunky
    PBJunky Posts: 737 Member
    Options
    I've learned to post my opinion and leave...it is up to the OP whether he wants to take it or not.
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    I think they afraid there will be tears. :sad:

People can discuss things, but when it starts getting heated and the name-calling begins, the mods intervene. I think a better question is why people feel the need to resort to schoolyard tactics.
  • TNAJackson
    TNAJackson Posts: 686 Member
    Options

People can discuss things, but when it starts getting heated and the name-calling begins, the mods intervene. I think a better question is why people feel the need to resort to schoolyard tactics.

I agree. I graduated quite a long time ago...
  • FearAnLoathing
    FearAnLoathing Posts: 4,852 Member
    Options

I know you are,but what am I :wink:
  • Contrarian
    Options

I'm telling!
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    shhhh...I don't think we're allowed to discuss or question anything the moderators do.
  • amymeenieminymo
    amymeenieminymo Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options
    The locking threads thing is relatively new. I can only assume Mike received too many reports about people being mean. I've been here for 4 years now and in the past I might see a particularly heated thread (usually about politics) get locked maybe a couple times....but just in the last half hour there were two threads locked.

I'm torn, I think too many people mistake honest, blunt opinions to be offensive which is a shame. We're all adults and people should be mature enough to accept someone else's opinion without getting offended. However I post on another board where the snark is just completely out of hand and people spew really nasty things back and forth. So I definitely see the value of mods, however lately I think they've been a little too strict.
  • Clever_Girl
    Options

I'm telling!

FearandLoathing and Contrarian sitting in a tree a-r-g-u-i-n-g
  • macpatti
    macpatti Posts: 4,280 Member
    Options
    I think they only lock threads once a site rule is broken. I've seen them be pretty cool about allowing debates as long as no rules were being broken. I've also seen them give warnings before locking.
  • Shannon023
    Shannon023 Posts: 14,529 Member
    Options
    Mike is not running this site out of the kindness of his heart, it's his bread and butter. Since he's looking to increase revenue and not referee a bloodbath 24/7 I can see why he has the restrictions he does. :laugh:

Once the groups start, there is a better chance of more diverse topics. :drinker:
  • Tiffanydepiano
    Tiffanydepiano Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    @bry: No.
    I do however think it is rather odd to have a site in which the expectations of the people involved are to not behave like actual people at all.

The world is full of different opinions. The world is full of angry, sarcastic, sensitive, easy going and difficult people. I am curious what others think will happen if it does get childish.
  • Contrarian
    Options
    Mike is not running this site out of the kindness of his heart, it's his bread and butter. Since he's looking to increase revenue and not referee a bloodbath 24/7 I can see why he has the restrictions he does. :laugh:

Once the groups start, there is a better chance of more diverse topics. :drinker:

This is the reason.
  • FearAnLoathing
    Options

I'm telling!

your mamma wears combat boots :tongue:
  • ZebraHead
    ZebraHead Posts: 15,207 Member
    Options
    I'm telling!

REfrickingPORTED!! :angry:
  • CaWaterBug8
    CaWaterBug8 Posts: 1,040 Member
    Options
    I'm telling!

That's offensive.
  • Contrarian
    Options
    I'm telling!

Hahaha! Fear got in trouble! Fear got in trouble!
  • FearAnLoathing
    Options
    I'm telling!

you made me cry...you big meanie:sad:
  • Shannon023
    Shannon023 Posts: 14,529 Member
    Options
    1773_1273558184030.jpg

Smug dog approves of this hijack!
This discussion has been closed.