Pregnancy: (for someone used to INTENSE workouts) what worko

Options
My husband and I are wanting to start a family! We are both very excited about getting to do this! My questions is, I currently 'lift heavy' 2 - 3 times per week and do HIIT training and cross training; I also use Turbo Fire, P90X, Insanity, ChaLean Extreme and Brazil Butt Lift.

For those who have been pregnant, or have a wife/ lady friend who has been pregnant.. what did the workout routine look like during this time? From a safety standpoint, I know it is advised that a no-impact routine is kept during a pregnancy.

Curious what everyone else has done, especially those who normally keep to a pretty intense workout routine.

Thanks!

Replies

• cocolo89
    cocolo89 Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    bump- curious about this too cause i workout a lot at high intensity levels and we're wanting another baby soon!
  • BGabbart
    BGabbart Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Ask your Dr. only you and he/she should make a choice about what YOU need to do. Good luck and God bless starting a family.:
    :smile:
  • godblessourhome
    godblessourhome Posts: 3,892 Member
    Options
    my sister-in-law did crossfit throughout her entire pregnancy with the exception of sit-ups/tummy work. she also ran a half-marathon two weeks before her due date and walked a 5k on her due date. :) if you are used to it, you can continue pretty much anything unless complications arise.
  • brimir
    brimir Posts: 72
    Options
    My husband and I are wanting to start a family! We are both very excited about getting to do this! My questions is, I currently 'lift heavy' 2 - 3 times per week and do HIIT training and cross training; I also use Turbo Fire, P90X, Insanity, ChaLean Extreme and Brazil Butt Lift.

For those who have been pregnant, or have a wife/ lady friend who has been pregnant.. what did the workout routine look like during this time? From a safety standpoint, I know it is advised that a no-impact routine is kept during a pregnancy.

Curious what everyone else has done, especially those who normally keep to a pretty intense workout routine.

Thanks!

everyone is different, only your doctor can tell you what you should be doing, but I would say if you were super active before your pregnancy, unless you have high risk issues or seriously complications then you should be ok to keep lifting weights (maybe at a decreased amount depending on what you lifted before) most OB-GYN's recommend you staying active right until you deliver because it makes labor and delivery much easier for you!! good luck!
  • schmenly
    schmenly Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    When I was pregnant with my two kids, the Dr said to do what i normally do, but step dowl a level, so for you I would think that holds true, but as another poster said, you two need to talk. Also I read an article about a women in Chicago that did a full marathon (with DR permission) and then headed to the hospital to have her child that same day. Good luck!
  • lyddsmom
    Options
    My husband is an ob/gyn and I've heard him tell his patients that they can continue with their regular workouts. If your body is used to running 10 miles a day, keep it up...especially early on. In the last trimester you'll probably need to slow down because your body will be tired and you'll be so top heavy your balance may be off. Your body will tell you when you need to slow down, but, of course, consult your doctor.

I chose to slow down somewhat toward the end and just walked and did yoga.
  • tpycha126
    tpycha126 Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    I'm curious about this too. I'm doing the same programs as you and we are thinking about trying to start in Jan. I know I have heard if you did it before your pregnancy you could do it throughout. But I agree with the others, it's probably best to check with your doctor.
  • Aviendha_RJ
    Aviendha_RJ Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    My sister stuck to water aerobics, & that worked for her.

But honestly? Your baby WANTS you to put on weight, & actually NEEDS you to. If you don't have a high enough body fat content you CAN'T GET pregnant.

My sister put on 60lbs with her first... didn't lose it... 17 months later she'd put on 50lbs with her second.

That 110lbs? Yeah... took her a year to lose it. But you know what?

Her boys are both HEALTHY... & that's WAY better than skinny. Skinny you can get back. Your kids health, you can't. Do what's best for your BABY... & catch up on what's best for you LATER. You can always fix your weight, if you put the work in.
  • 12skipafew99100
    12skipafew99100 Posts: 1,669 Member
    Options
    I don't mean to be a stick in the mud but the only pregnancy I lost out of 5 was the one where I worked out. Maybe nothing to do with it but.........just sayin.........be careful. Its so not worth it, to be risky that is. Best wishes.
  • amicklin
    amicklin Posts: 452
    Options
    The health of the baby is the utmost priority. I don't think that means I should stop everything. I want to continue being active as a healthy step for both the baby and I NOT as a means to losing/maintaining weight. I fully expect to gain 25 - 35 pounds during the pregnancy.

The activity is simply a means for overall health/well being.
    My sister stuck to water aerobics, & that worked for her.

But honestly? Your baby WANTS you to put on weight, & actually NEEDS you to. If you don't have a high enough body fat content you CAN'T GET pregnant.

My sister put on 60lbs with her first... didn't lose it... 17 months later she'd put on 50lbs with her second.

That 110lbs? Yeah... took her a year to lose it. But you know what?

Her boys are both HEALTHY... & that's WAY better than skinny. Skinny you can get back. Your kids health, you can't. Do what's best for your BABY... & catch up on what's best for you LATER. You can always fix your weight, if you put the work in.
  • DebWalsh06
    Options
    Good luck! As long as you feel good and don't overdo it all will be fine. My Dr and all I read said not to start any NEW strenuous exercise. Keep away from tummy crunches, twists, etc but all the leg and arm work is harmless as long as you eat enough. I hope all goes well!
  • elissascotland
    elissascotland Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    Your baby WANTS you to put on weight, & actually NEEDS you to.

Not true.

DoI: Physician.
  • lyddsmom
    Options
    For someone in a normal weight range, 25-35 lbs is what you should probably gain throughout your 40 weeks. If you are overweight or obese, your Dr. may advise you to gain less. If you are underweight, you'll probably be encouraged to gain more. Your Dr. will monitor this carefully at each appointment though. You don't want to gain too much because that is not healthy for you or the baby. Exercise during pregnancy is helpful in so many ways. To name just a couple is to help you during labor with endurance and strength and your recovery.
  • M_lifts
    M_lifts Posts: 2,224 Member
    Options
    i think the general advise is that you should continue what you feel comfortable with, maybe reduce the intensity a bit. Pregnancy is not the time to be taking up new exercises. It actually better for the baby that you are fit and active. Also speak to your doctor/ midwife.
  • 4thehardman
    4thehardman Posts: 731 Member
    Options
    My friend is a fitness instructor. She won so many awards i the uk and was even Robbie Williams' prsonal trainer. She continued to work out her whole pregnanyc because the doc said it was ok and carried a perfectly healthy baby to term. Then her waters broke and the tangle that Edward had gotten himself into in the womb due to all of the ways she contorted and stretched her body during the pregnancy had caused a true knot. When her waters broke, the knot tightened and Edward died.
    They used to tell us that we HAD to put our babies on their tummies to sleep. Now they say never do that. Except all my triplets were put on their tummies by the hospital because they were premature. They used to say never do anything strenuous during pregnancy, now they say you can continue as normal but my friend was told it was her jigging about that probably caused the knot. Truth is, its still unknown. Take your doctors advice and if you want to continue exercising then do but I urge you to listen to your body and stop when you need to.