Calories burned and weightlifting

Options
Hey all,

This may seem like a dumb question but do u burn calories when strength training. I lift 3-4 times a week and I used to log it but mfp never gave a value for weightlifting. So I stopped logging it.

I do triceps and chest, lats and biceps, and legs with shoulders.

I reached my goal of 155, but I'm still losing despite eating all my calories and often times going over. I limit cardio to 10 minutes on the stair master and log it as 20 minutes but I'm still losing!! I'm 5'6 btw.

Ne help would be greatly appreciated

Replies

• ukaryote
    ukaryote Posts: 874 Member
    Options
    It is not a dumb question. Weightlifting and strength training uses many calories, but as MFP states, it is difficult to measure the calories therefore they do not even try.

Are you losing muscle mass? If so, then you must change your diet and weight training.
  • TrekkerCynthia
    TrekkerCynthia Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    This is part of maintenance, finding out what you need to do to maintain the weight. You may need to change your base calorie goal. Remember the MFP is based on "average" and you probably aren't average. Up your base calories by a small amount next week and leave it there a couple of weeks. If you are still losing after that time then do it again. Learn what YOU need to do to maintain.
  • alyssamiller77
    alyssamiller77 Posts: 891 Member
    Options
    There is a strength training category in MFP under the cardio activity. You can use that. I don't know how accurate the estimates are but it's what I go by right now.