Feeling completely unsatisfied after I eat

Options
:grumble: OK, so I'm whining here a little bit......I think I just figured out the reason why I've been so unsuccessful in the past losing weight......I have been so completely and totally unsatisified after I get done eating any of my meals. My brain is telling me that my stomach is full...I can feel it...LOL :) But my mouth is still hungry! I want to keep eating and eating. I'm eating so much healthier than I ever have in the past and MFP is making it very easy for me to watch what I'm eating and everything that I eat tastes good, nothing that I'm having "tastes diet" but I'm still getting that unsatisifed feeling :grumble:

The longer that I stay eating healthy will this feeling go away? I certainly hope so!

Please help!

I hope everyone is having a good day!

Emily :wink:

Replies

• jmpsgirl
    Options
    :grumble: OK, so I'm whining here a little bit......I think I just figured out the reason why I've been so unsuccessful in the past losing weight......I have been so completely and totally unsatisified after I get done eating any of my meals. My brain is telling me that my stomach is full...I can feel it...LOL :) But my mouth is still hungry! I want to keep eating and eating. I'm eating so much healthier than I ever have in the past and MFP is making it very easy for me to watch what I'm eating and everything that I eat tastes good, nothing that I'm having "tastes diet" but I'm still getting that unsatisifed feeling :grumble:

The longer that I stay eating healthy will this feeling go away? I certainly hope so!

Please help!

• SteffCooley
    Options
    For starters, how many calories are you consuming in a day? If it is 1200 or less, that might be your problem.

Are you eating lots of fiber-rich foods, whole wheat, etc? Those types of things will help you stay fuller longer.

Also, after so long your stomach will *SHRINK* when you are eating sensible portions - and you will have that FULL feeling. It took me about a week of having that hungry/munchy feeling before I started really feeling satisfied.

Have you tried eating smaller meals, more frequently throughout the day? I eat breakfast, lunch, and dinner, as well as a morning snack, afternoon snack, and depending on how many calories I have ate by dinner time, sometimes an evening snack too! If you eat every 2-3 hours, just in smaller portions, you will find you never feel hungry.

Good luck! 4 lbs. lost is a great start!!!
  • jdelisle
    jdelisle Posts: 1,050 Member
    Options
    You know, to be completely honest I had a horrible time at the beginning with hunger. I started out logging my food, and some days I would be eating up to 2500 calories!!! I felt like such a failure for eating so much, but now... less than a month into it I'm finding it really hard to eat my 1200 calories! You can do it, 4 lbs so far is a great start and your mouth will catch up to your brain in no time!!! :)
  • SteffCooley
    Options
    Oh, one more thing! Are you drinking LOTS of water? Alot of times your body is just craving that water, and it can be misinterpreted as hunger. I have been trying to be better about my water - I have a horrible iced tea w/lemon addiction :smile: so I have been trying to cut back on that. Anyways, have been drinking ice water w/lemon and there has been several times that I thought I was hungry, took a big gulp of water, and the hunger feeling was gone! Might give that a try also. :smile:
  • allaboutme
    allaboutme Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    I used to be that way too. I found even though i was full and I liked the food i ate, still needed that "something" usually it was something sweet. I have found for me, since I have cut way back on the added sugar, bread, white flour etc. Those cravings don't happen anymore. Your body is craving this stuff, it takes a while for it to get used to not having it (my opinion of course) The less you eat of it, the less you will crave it. I find if i have a bad day and consume a lot of cookies or that type of food, my body will crave it the next day too. Once you get used to staying away from it, (mostly, we all have bad days) it gets easier and easier to pass it by and you no longer crave it.
  • Anna_Banana
    Anna_Banana Posts: 2,939 Member
    Options
    Chew some really sweet desert flavored gum, I had some chocolate mint stuff that really helped me with this.
  • meg0112
    meg0112 Posts: 344
    Options
    are you eating really similar things everyday? Maybe thats part of the problem. If your living on steamed veggies, boneless skinless chicken breast, and oatmeal (all very healthy and great) and not mixing it up much, that may be reason you aren't satisfied. Try some out of the box recipies like turkey or black bean burger w/ sweet potato fries, marinated mushrooms and onions (use italian dressing to marinate and sautee), or tuna chili. Your tongue may just be looking for variety. There are tons of tastey recipies on hungrygirl.com and look through old postings in the "food and nutrtion" section for delicous recipies shared by other mfp members.

hope that helps! You can do this!:drinker:
  • cherapple
    cherapple Posts: 670 Member
    Options
    Protein, protein, protein. Eat it at every meal, along with complex carbs and good fats, and avoid refined carbs, sugars, starches, and processed and "snack" foods, which can make you feel hungrier.
  • allaboutme
    Options
    Protein, protein, protein. Eat it at every meal, along with complex carbs and good fats, and avoid refined carbs, sugars, starches, and processed and "snack" foods, which can make you feel hungrier.

Yes, I would have to agree. Makes a big difference the types of food you are eating for satisfaction.
  • tizzykay
    Options
    Whenever I am hungry and I know that its not my time to eat or I should be eating I eat a piece of sugarless gum and get up and walk around and that seems to make my cravings go away. And if I am having a really bad craving I change into my bikini. That makes me not want to eat any junk food too! Good luck I know that you can do it!:flowerforyou:
    124569.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Calorie Counter
  • allaboutme
    Options
    And if I am having a really bad craving I change into my bikini. 124569.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Calorie Counter

hahaha I had to look where you lived, thinking at -20 degrees celcius, my dh would think I was insane (of course he does most of the time anyway) if he walked in and saw me dressed in my bikini, but I see you are pretty much in the same boat!
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Phoenix_Rising Posts: 11,417 Member
    Options

Please help!

I eat like I have a bottomless pit for a stomach right before my TOM. Could that be your issue? I have no idea how to stop that, btw. Mine happens, and I try to curb it where I can but whatever. It happens once a month, like clockwork.

Also, I know I'm an emotional eater. When I'm upset, I eat well past feeling full. (I did it last night. Overate by soooo much even after knowing I was full.) Check to make sure you aren't eating an emotion -- scared, lonely, angry, BORED. (Boredom use to get me all the time, and is probably the easiest of those emotions to combat.)
  • jmpsgirl
    Options
    Thank you so much ladies for your awesome replies and support!!!! I don't know why it feels so different this time but I really feel like I'm going to be able to lose all the weight that I want to this time!!!! I know I'm only a week and a half into it and still in my honeymoon period, but this time I haven't put a time frame as to when to have all the weight gone, because if I do that I know I'll fail. I'll just keep on, keeping on!

What can you sugges for protein? I know that I've been doing alot of the processed easy stuff and I'm sure that's where alot of my frustration is coming into play, but I just don't have the time to prepare meals. I work full time (my commute alone is one hour each way) and then I have a 5 year old and an 8 month old that I have to meet the needs of, so unfortunately I fall into the 4th in line in the needs to be met catagory!!! LOL...I know that I'm not unlike other working moms out there, but if someone has something that's easy to prep that's high in protein, I'm all ears!!!

LOL, about changing into your bikini......I would just love at this point to be albe to wear my bathing suit with out having to put a pair of shorts over it to hide my fat *kitten*...LOL :tongue: But that is an awesome motivator!

I have also figured out that I eat out of boredom......that has def. been my biggest pit fall....UGH! But I'm trying to keep myself very busy here at work and then when I get home at night after the kids are fed and ready for bed, I've been working out! Last night was my second workout and my bod is hurting like hell, but I was so tired afterward, that I went straight to bed and didn't give myself the opportunity to get bored!

So, thanks again so much ladies for the suggestions and support and listening to me whine!! :smile:

Have a great, successful day!

• lgmsilva
    Options
    Thank you so much ladies for your awesome replies and support!!!! I don't know why it feels so different this time but I really feel like I'm going to be able to lose all the weight that I want to this time!!!! I know I'm only a week and a half into it and still in my honeymoon period, but this time I haven't put a time frame as to when to have all the weight gone, because if I do that I know I'll fail. I'll just keep on, keeping on!

What can you sugges for protein? I know that I've been doing alot of the processed easy stuff and I'm sure that's where alot of my frustration is coming into play, but I just don't have the time to prepare meals. I work full time (my commute alone is one hour each way) and then I have a 5 year old and an 8 month old that I have to meet the needs of, so unfortunately I fall into the 4th in line in the needs to be met catagory!!! LOL...I know that I'm not unlike other working moms out there, but if someone has something that's easy to prep that's high in protein, I'm all ears!!!

LOL, about changing into your bikini......I would just love at this point to be albe to wear my bathing suit with out having to put a pair of shorts over it to hide my fat *kitten*...LOL :tongue: But that is an awesome motivator!

I have also figured out that I eat out of boredom......that has def. been my biggest pit fall....UGH! But I'm trying to keep myself very busy here at work and then when I get home at night after the kids are fed and ready for bed, I've been working out! Last night was my second workout and my bod is hurting like hell, but I was so tired afterward, that I went straight to bed and didn't give myself the opportunity to get bored!

So, thanks again so much ladies for the suggestions and support and listening to me whine!! :smile:

Have a great, successful day!

I am only a couple weeks into my MFP program as well. I am learning to use different seasoning on my chicken breasts. I cooked quite a bit over the weekend and then separated out individual servings so I could grab it on the way to work for lunch. I make a tossed salad or other side dish the night before as well. This has really helped out. Use your slow cooker if you have one. Mine has become my favorite kitchen gadget. Throw in any kind of meat with vegetables, brown rice (noodles). And whala - quick meal. There was a posting under the MFP receipe board where a member has a whole bunch of slow cooker recipes. They are great. I've tried several recipies from the board and they are really good. We're all in this together so use whatever is out there from other members.
  • allaboutme
    Options
    interestingly enough on this subject I was watching Oprah last night, an unusual event, and they were talking about overweight kids and why they eat so much Dr. Oz said when people eat non nutritive calories, your brain knows it has not gotten the vitamins and nutrients it needs and continues to tell your body it wants more and and more until that vitamins and nutrient level has been reached. So people end up continuing to eat, even though they have consumed plenty of calories. I thought it made a lot of sense, as now I eat quite well and I rarely crave anything, I get hungry but don't feel the "need for just something" else to satisfy me. I think it takes a while for your brain to realize you are feeding it properly. Just thought it was an interesting perspective. .
  • chimpoco
    chimpoco Posts: 193
    Options
    I try to have giant (yet simple) salad with dinner. When my "real" food is gone, I still have salad. I sit and pick at this salad until the feeling passes. It seems to help.