BodyPump - Yay or Nay?

Options
For the past couple of weeks I've been trying to decide whether to join my local YMCA so that I can take advantage of their group exercise classes. The classes that would fit into my schedule each week are BodyPump and Zumba.

Has anyone tried BodyPump? I'm looking for something that can replace the strength training I get from the Jillian Michael's DVD's I currently do, while keeping up my heart rate. What's your opinion of this class as a strength training workout?

Replies

• jenlayport
    jenlayport Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    i take body pump 3 times a week and by far-- my favorite class! I love it.
  • jenlayport
    jenlayport Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    i take body pump 3 times a week and by far-- my favorite class! I love it.
  • geco22
    geco22 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Never done BodyPump, but I LOVE ZUMBA!!
  • geco22
    geco22 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Never done BodyPump, but I LOVE ZUMBA!!
  • LilMissFoodie
    LilMissFoodie Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    Body pump is a great class for all over strength training and when I've done it regularly I've definitely seen results quite quickly. It does get your heart rate up a bit but not in quite the same way as a circuit style workout though (which I'm guessing your Jillian Michaels workout is e.g. 30 day shred style).
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    I'm a massive fan - I try to get to at least 2 classes a week, and always push myself to lift heavy,

I believe it has been a real asset to my weight loss and in improving my shape. Try it and see!
  • robyng1986
    robyng1986 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    YAY! body pump rocks!
  • maryd523
    maryd523 Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    I LOVE Bodypump! I do a bunch of classes at my gym, but Bodypump is definitely one of my favorites. I do it 2-3 times per week, for several months now and just like it more and more each week.

I probably would not lift weights if it wasn't for BP. And Zumba is really fun, too!
  • maryd523
    maryd523 Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    Does your Y offer a 1 or 2 week trial? That would be a good way to test the waters.
  • drsteph01
    Options
    I haven't tried BodyPump, but I have heard that an at home version is coming out within the next several months.
  • kirsty0911
    kirsty0911 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    A definite YAY!

I went to my first bodypump class last week and absolutely loved it! Got my 2nd class tomorrow and I cannot wait! I read up a lot about it on the internet and found a lot of people recommended it for 'tightening' up their shape and such like. I'm looking orward to (hopefully) seeing results but in the meantime it's a good, fun workout.
  • Leanne3552000
    Leanne3552000 Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    I have done body pump a couple of times. I hate it while I'm doing it because my arms are so weak I can barely finish some of the exercises but afterwards I definately feel good, shakey.. but good. If you have already been doing strength training you are probably alot stronger than me though.
  • jess213tx
    jess213tx Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I might call and ask if I can do a free trial. Their website just says that I can pay $8 to use the facilities for a day.
  • CarolineSuzanneSmith
    Options
    Two most frequented classes by me at my gym: ZUMBA AND BODY PUMP!! LOVE THEM!
  • CarolineSuzanneSmith
    Options
    I was able to get a free week's pass at my YMCA to try out .... maybe you can to?
  • carloP90X
    carloP90X Posts: 109
    Options
    I'm looking for something that can replace the strength training I get from the Jillian Michael's DVD's I currently do, while keeping up my heart rate. What's your opinion of this class as a strength training workout?

BodyPump definitely!
  • jensenta3
    jensenta3 Posts: 179
    Options
    I absolutely love Body Pump - it is my all time favorite strength training class!
  • jensenta3
    jensenta3 Posts: 179
    Options
    I absolutely love Body Pump - it is my all time favorite strength training class!
  • sharper43
    sharper43 Posts: 109
    Options
    Beachbody is joining up with Les Mills and you can do Body Pump at home!!! There will be several class DVDs with barbel and plates in a set. Available for order in December. It will be called "PUMP" but it's the same classes! I saw the commercial not too long ago. I'm soooo excited!!
  • I love love body pump! Its def a challange but you can do it!