Pulled Calf Muscle

Options
Has anyone ever pulled a calf muscle and what did you do to alleviate the pain? This morning I turned the wrong way walking out of the kitchen and immediately could barely walk. That was at 7am its now about 6pm and I still can barely walk. Wearing high heels helps a little but thats it. Any help would be appreciated!!!

Replies

• aflane
    aflane Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    First, STOP WEARING THE HEELS! You're shortening the calf muscle and promoting atrophy.

A pulled muscle needs to heal. There's nothing that can be done to accelerate the healing process, since your body will heal at it's own pace. However, you can do some mild things that will help alleviate the pain/discomfort. When I seriously pull a muscle, I use ice packs (20 mins on/20 mins off) for the first 24 hours. After that, gentle heat. All the while take some ibuprofen as a muscle relaxer. Once the pain starts to ease a little, do some gentle stretching exercises. You want the tight calf muscle to stretch and ease up. But do it gently.

And finally.... STOP WEARING HEELS!
  • ATT949
    ATT949 Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    Pulled a calf muscle about a month ago. Strangest thing. I went to a high school track to calibrate my footpod attachment for my HRM and got a shot of pain in my left calf. It got worse and persisted 'til I stopped at the end of the lap.

Hm, OK. What do I do now?

When I Google "treatment for a pulled calf muscle" there are mucho hits.

This one caught my eye.

http://sportsmedicine.about.com/od/legpainandinjuries/a/calf-strain.htm

Dunno if it talks about ibuprofen but that will help. Also, elevate and apply a heating pad during the first 24 hours and cold packs after that.

Hope you feel better soon!
  • idauria
    idauria Posts: 1,037 Member
    Options
    I did something to my calf the other day. It was killing me. I elevated my leg and put a heating pad underneath. I also massaged and gently stretched. The heat helped a lot. I was fine the next morning.
  • Sharon009
    Sharon009 Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I will try all. I'm keeping it elevated but it hurts like heck when I go to stand on it.
  • azzacca
    azzacca Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Actually, "they" say Ice for the first 24 hours, then heat...
  • Sharon009
    Sharon009 Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    I did ice it and its 50% better today. Thanks for all your tips.
  • acegerard
    acegerard Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Just pulled my right calf muscle and frustrated, knowing that the healing process takes awhile. AND I need to adjust my calorie intake since I won't burn the normal number of calories since my exercise routine is severly impacted!
  • acegerard
    acegerard Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    After nearly 8 weeks, finally feel 99% healed on the pulled calf muscle - now need to lose the extra 10 pounds I gained due to less exercise/mobility!