Thanksgiving Day- What are you doing?

Options
I want to know what others are planning to do Thanksgiving day?? Are you going to go all out and eat all you want or will you enjoy thanksgiving by eating everything BUT in small portions?? I'm curious.

Replies

• ASPhantom
    ASPhantom Posts: 637 Member
    Options
    First, I am running a 5K with my family.

Then I am cooking and we will keep it moderate with small portions.
  • barkin43
    barkin43 Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    I plan to keep it moderate with larger portions of low cal veggies than turkey and stuffing. I will be making a gluten free stuffing and my cranberry sauce will be cranberry/orange relish from fresh cranberries and orange sections and pecans with stevia to sweeten it up. The yams will be sauteed in a small amount of coconut oil and seasoned with cinnamon. I'm gonna try to stick with fruit salad for dessert, but I'm making no promises on that. I may have to have a small slice of pecan pie!
  • stevwil41
    stevwil41 Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    Thanksgiving, Christmas and Easter will be free for all days for me. I always go to my dad's or aunt's house so I won't bring a bunch of stuff home with me but while I'm there I'm eating. I figure if I'm going to see a spread like that 3 times a year then I'm going to enjoy myself.
  • Victoriav99
    Victoriav99 Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    I still don't know what I want to do.... I will definitely enjoy myself and havea little bit of everything on my plate, but I will eat slowly and stop when my stomach feels full. Eh...We'll see. If I do go over in calories I will definitely log it so I do well the days after.
  • BellaVegas
    BellaVegas Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I'm running a 5k Turkey Trot too! The race is very family oriented and will give me room to eat good all day :)
  • silkysly
    silkysly Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    I will be recovery from donating my kidney to my friend’s mother. Hope someone else will cook for me!
  • sandy2006
    sandy2006 Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    Im headed north to Skaneateles, NY to visit family and I plan to eat smart and control my portion size.
  • jessicaxochitl
    Options
    Cooking! I love to cook. The good thing about it is that it gives me control. I'm going to buy turkey slices, canned cranberries, mashed potatoes and gravy, make my famous stuffing and lots of veggies. Pumpking pie with no crust and wipped cream. Maybe some wine. This is only for my family, I will be having small portions of meat and the veggies. I'm avoiding all alcohol because it's just empty calories. We're going to make something really small, maybe just my mom, dad and me as my brother is away in college and Thanksgiving isn't a holiday in Mexico.
  • Kath712
    Kath712 Posts: 1,263 Member
    Options
    5K in the morning! I don't cook, but my husband and best friend do. I usually like to have a little bit of everything that I like.
  • NiciS72
    NiciS72 Posts: 1,043 Member
    Options
    Up early like 5 am to put in the turkey and GF stuffing. 5k race at 8 am then back home to make a simple meal of:

Roasted turkey
    Gluten Free Stuffing
    Gluten Free gravy (made with corn starch)
    mashed potatoes
    sweet potatoes (maybe)
    gluten free green bean casserole
    cranberry jello mold
    pickle tray
    buns for everyone else

That's about it, oh I forgot WINE!

Last year I did very well and only ate one plate and did normal sized portions. Because I'd already started down my road of healthier eating I was used to smaller portions and was full before my plate was empty!
  • zenchild
    zenchild Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    I'm going to my parents' house with all 4 of my siblings, all the assorted spouses, plus a few extras. I will plan to behave myself but I have a feeling that Mom will pour me a glass of champagne as soon as I get there (she only drinks 2-3 times a year) and it will be all downhill from there. And I will climb back on the wagon the next day. I figure I can eat myself stupid very occasionally without doing too much damage.

My goal from November 24 - January 2 is to just not gain weight. With any luck my tailbone will be healed (currently broken) by Thanksgiving so I can start rollerblading during lunch again. I really miss my rollerblading calories and I know I'll need them.
  • cthoma70
    cthoma70 Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    I cook for about 20 people, last year everyone got one plate and everything was gone. This year I'm cooking again!!! getting everything done then going to a drive lol. :laugh: :happy:
  • BrewerGeorge
    BrewerGeorge Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    I'll be cooking, so I'll tweak the food a little bit, but just enough so that nobody notices there is anything "diet" about it. Then I'm going to eat what I want, pretty much. My stomach has shrunk enough that I won't be able to eat 2000 Cal at a sitting like I once would have, so that should help.

Wine and beer will be flowing freely, though, so it will still be a 3-4000 Cal day, probably. I figure I can handle one or three of those a year.
  • caseydimples
    caseydimples Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I'm running a 4 mile turkey trot that morning. Thankfully I'm not hosting Thanksgiving this year, which means no left-overs. So I'm going to enjoy myself, eat and drink what I want, but keep it all in moderation. And log all my calories... that ought to be interesting.
  • KimertRuns13_1
    Options
    Either running an 8k or 10k and then eating small portions of whatever food is on the table. Then my regular "up all night to shop til I drop" Black Friday shopping!
  • MarlaChandlerBarton
    MarlaChandlerBarton Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    Don't plan on going all out, but I think I'll go off my Raw / Sprouts for that day. :bigsmile:
  • bookdame
    Options
    I'm going to show up right before dinner so that I don't snack all day long... And then I'll try to get down on some of those healthy appetizers (usually raw veggies and dip).

Pumpkin pie! The ONLY REASON to do thanksgiving.

I'll bring a vegetarian option: maybe something off the wall like spaghetti or eggplant parmesan. If I am going to have a feast, it might as well be my favorite special ocassion dishes...

I make a killer maple-pecan glazed yam dish that will floor my meat-eating relatives....
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    I want to know what others are planning to do Thanksgiving day?? Are you going to go all out and eat all you want or will you enjoy thanksgiving by eating everything BUT in small portions?? I'm curious.

Nope. I'm eating anything and everything I want and in LARGE portions and I'm not tracking a damn thing. I will wake up the next day with no guilt.
  • lclarkjr
    lclarkjr Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    I plan on eating anything and everything I want and loving every moment of it. Rather than trying to add every little thing I eat, I am thinking if I quick add about 2500 calories for thanksgiving dinner, that should about cover it. Of course I am in the middle of training for the Honolulu Marathon and have my longest training run (20 miles) 4 days before Thanksgiving, so I will be giving thanks with zero guilt. Pass the sweet potatoes!
  • MzGrinch9250
    MzGrinch9250 Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    I plan on eating everything, but in moderation. I'm not hosting, however, i will make several "good for you" dishes.