Dog owners

Replies

• 3ricaAnn
    3ricaAnn Posts: 288
    I have a female min pin that has seperation anxiety. She chewed a huge hole in our guest bathroom wall because we put her in there when we leave. We got a kennel to put her in now so she doesnt tear anything else up while we are away.
  • Part of the cost of dog ownership is training. I suggest you contact a highly qualified trainer with good references.
    Been training him since the day we got him. This is his only problem. As for getting a good trainer we don't have the money for that right now. In the process of buying a house

Perhaps you should realize that your training methods are not working. I agree that part of the cost you incur when taking on the responsibility of a dog IS proper training. You chose to bring this dog in as a part of your family, it is your responsibility to make it a priority and see it through 100%.
  • drog2323
    drog2323 Posts: 1,343 Member
    I also heard - (which is very hard to do) is not make a big deal when you leave the house OR come home. So when he./she comes flying up to you wanting pets etc, when you come home. if you start petting him/her you are rewarding that excited behaviour.

same with leaving. try to not make it a big deal when you leave.

I'd start with trying the short intervals. Leave for 10 minutes. come back. leave for 30 minutes. come back. leave for an hour. come back. try this in one day...might help.
  • Part of the cost of dog ownership is training. I suggest you contact a highly qualified trainer with good references.
    Been training him since the day we got him. This is his only problem. As for getting a good trainer we don't have the money for that right now. In the process of buying a house

Perhaps you should realize that your training methods are not working. I agree that part of the cost you incur when taking on the responsibility of a dog IS proper training. You chose to bring this dog in as a part of your family, it is your responsibility to make it a priority and see it through 100%.
    He listens to everything he was taught, except for this. And as for taking responsibility for him. We do 100% he's treated like a child. He has lots of toys, dog treats, we buy him grain free food (orijen is our current choice 80 bucks a bag) we never yell at him when he does something bad. we're civil and calm about it as to we dont' want to scare him. We dont' hit him or anything like that. I'm actually quite offended that you would say we weren't good owners and our training doesn't work.
  • I also heard - (which is very hard to do) is not make a big deal when you leave the house OR come home. So when he./she comes flying up to you wanting pets etc, when you come home. if you start petting him/her you are rewarding that excited behaviour.

I'd start with trying the short intervals. Leave for 10 minutes. come back. leave for 30 minutes. come back. leave for an hour. come back. try this in one day...might help.
    That is something we haven't tried. But it is super hard to ignore an 80lb dog jumping at you when you come home lol
  • quixoticmantis
    quixoticmantis Posts: 297 Member
    A lot of dog's "issues" aren't their own, the issues actually come from the energy of their owners.

FACT.

Absolutely. A lot of separation anxiety is deeply rooted in the way the dog was treated/raised as a puppy....this isn't saying you did ANYTHING wrong. Plus, GSDs are a VERY high energy dog - are you giving him enough exercise?

If at all possible, seek the help of a professional - a reputable trainer or even better, an animal behaviorist (sounds like he's also dog agressive, which leads me to believe he may have several more issues that need to be dealt with) . Don't lean of medication to help with anxiety - it's a bandaid for a more serious problem.....I'm a licensed veterinary technician with 14 years experience and I tell people this ALL the time.

Good luck!
  • A lot of dog's "issues" aren't their own, the issues actually come from the energy of their owners.

FACT.

Absolutely. A lot of separation anxiety is deeply rooted in the way the dog was treated/raised as a puppy....this isn't saying you did ANYTHING wrong. Plus, GSDs are a VERY high energy dog - are you giving him enough exercise?

If at all possible, seek the help of a professional - a reputable trainer or even better, an animal behaviorist (sounds like he's also dog agressive, which leads me to believe he may have several more issues that need to be dealt with) . Don't lean of medication to help with anxiety - it's a bandaid for a more serious problem.....I'm a licensed veterinary technician with 14 years experience and I tell people this ALL the time.

Good luck!
    He's not aggressive at all. Yeah sure he'll bark at you a ton but once you get close to him and let him smell you he'll start licking you and wanting you to pet him. He's a big baby
  • quixoticmantis
    I've had this issue before, with a rescue that I adopted. Unfortunately, the only way I could stop her from tearing my house apart (she literally tore the carpet up from the floor) was to put her in her crate when I wasn't home. It worked, she seemed to calm down and that was like her safe place, but I tried to be home as much as I could so she wasn't stuck in there. Good luck! It can be really stressful, but it's worth finding a way to make the dog comfortable.
    We've tried crate training, thought it was working and went to the store...and when we came home our neighbor (who we asked to listen and see if he still whined super loud) said he did the whole time we were gone. Mind you this was after at least 4 months of crate training him.

The fact the dog whined shouldn't deter you from crate training. Crate training is a very good training tool. Stick with it!! :)

You can't let the fact that a dog whines deter you from training him correctly or let it hit your soft spot - it means your heart is definately in the right place, but dogs NEED order and a gentle guiding hand :) They'll be better off for it!
  • quixoticmantis
    A lot of dog's "issues" aren't their own, the issues actually come from the energy of their owners.

FACT.

Good luck!
    He's not aggressive at all. Yeah sure he'll bark at you a ton but once you get close to him and let him smell you he'll start licking you and wanting you to pet him. He's a big baby

Very cool! GSDs are so awesome - my dad raised them and I grew up with them!!

Seriously though - the seperation anxiety should really be dealt with by a trainer/behaviorist....they are SUPER helpful because not only do they treat the dog, they train owners! They will help you guys know how to handle/train/communicate with him. They are an awesome resource.
  • drog2323
    I also heard - (which is very hard to do) is not make a big deal when you leave the house OR come home. So when he./she comes flying up to you wanting pets etc, when you come home. if you start petting him/her you are rewarding that excited behaviour.

That is something we haven't tried. But it is super hard to ignore an 80lb dog jumping at you when you come home lol

i hear ya. my dog is 90 lbs. you just gotta try and ignore it. the thing I like about cesar milan is he thinks from the dog perspective, not human. so if he runs up and tries to tackle you when you are home (which is definitely cute and funny) and you accept this and pet him and cuddle him...then he thinks its the right thing to do. because in his mind you are rewarding that behaviour.

it's like a kid...you cannot give in. hold your ground....as hard as it might be.

once he calms down, then give him all the love!
  • I figured since we were all chatting about my dog that I would let you all see my baby :)
  • drog2323
    I figured since we were all chatting about my dog that I would let you all see my baby :)

he's a cutie.
  • AZTrailRunner
    AZTrailRunner Posts: 1,199 Member
    Part of the cost of dog ownership is training. I suggest you contact a highly qualified trainer with good references.

He listens to everything he was taught, except for this. And as for taking responsibility for him. We do 100% he's treated like a child. He has lots of toys, dog treats, we buy him grain free food (orijen is our current choice 80 bucks a bag) we never yell at him when he does something bad. we're civil and calm about it as to we dont' want to scare him. We dont' hit him or anything like that. I'm actually quite offended that you would say we weren't good owners and our training doesn't work.

I try to avoid the dog topics since it is my profession, and having trained over 1500 dogs myself, have dealt with every problem you can imagine (killer dogs, shy dogs, fearful dogs, and so on). I don't have to the time to be the free "online trainer" for the MFP site, but I couldn't let this one slip by.

Your problem could very well stem from the statement above. Dogs need Leaders, not buddies. Many dogs with separation anxiety (notice I didn't say ALL) are dealing with panic from a lack of Leadership and security from their owners. Just as kids need protection from the big bad world by their parents, dogs need protection via Leaders. Treating a dog like your BFF is a sure ticket to all forms of Anxiety.

Separation Anxiety is a lot like an iceberg.... what little you see on the surface is usually hiding a much bigger issue. I promise you one thing.... you will not find a "quick tip" on a fitness site to fix the problem. The solution is usually found through a variety of angles- exercise, mental stimulation, Leadership, boundaries, discipline. When you can say with absolute certainty that you have tackled ALL of those areas, then you can start working on any remaining symptoms more directly.

Find a good book if you cannot afford a professional trainer. Again, be cautious of the advice you get from amateurs online, and please, please, please do NOT follow advice from TV trainers. They don't answer questions, provide follow-up training, or show you the entire training process.
    I wish you the best for you and your dog. :happy:
  • I figured since we were all chatting about my dog that I would let you all see my baby :)

he's a cutie.
    Thanks :) he may be full grown but he still acts like hes 6 weeks old lol
  • quixoticmantis

it's like a kid...you cannot give in. hold your ground....as hard as it might be.

Good advice here, drog! :drinker:

I try to avoid the dog topics since it is my profession, and having trained over 1500 dogs, have dealt with ever problem you can imagine. I don't have to the time to be the free "online trainer" for the MF site, but I couldn't let this one slip by

Your problem could very well stem from the statement above. Dogs need leaders, not buddies. many dogs with separation anxiety (notice I didn't say ALL) are dealing with panic from a lack of Leadership and security from their owners. Just as kids need protection from the big bad world from their parents, dogs need protection via Leaders. Treating a dog like your BFF is a sure ticket to all forms of Anxiety.

Separation Anxiety is a lot like an iceberg.... what little you see on the surface is usually hiding a much bigger issue. I promise you one thing.... you will not find a "quick tip" on a fitness site to fix the problem. The solution is usually found through a variety of angles- exercise, mental stimulation, Leadership, boundaries, discipline. When you can say with absolute certainty that you have tackled ALL of those areas, then you can start working on any remaining symptoms more directly.

Find a good book if you cannot afford a professional trainer. Again, be cautious of the advice you get from amateurs online, and please, please, please do NOT follow advice from TV trainers. They don't answer questions, provide follow-up training, or show you the entire training process.
    Thanks a bunch, to answer your question about a leader. That would be my bf, buster listens to every thing he tells him. But thanks for posting on this with some advice :) I really appreciate it
  • And yes that is a festive Christmas bandanna on him.
  • Erindipitous
    Erindipitous Posts: 1,234 Member

You're saying your dog is like your child. So if you brought a child into your home and he needed professional intervention, you wouldn't do it because you needed the money to buy a house?
  • drog2323
    Part of the cost of dog ownership is training. I suggest you contact a highly qualified trainer with good references.

I try to avoid the dog topics since it is my profession, and having trained over 1500 dogs myself, have dealt with every problem you can imagine (killer dogs, shy dogs, fearful dogs, and so on). I don't have to the time to be the free "online trainer" for the MFP site, but I couldn't let this one slip by.

Your problem could very well stem from the statement above. Dogs need Leaders, not buddies. Many dogs with separation anxiety (notice I didn't say ALL) are dealing with panic from a lack of Leadership and security from their owners. Just as kids need protection from the big bad world by their parents, dogs need protection via Leaders. Treating a dog like your BFF is a sure ticket to all forms of Anxiety.

nicely said!!
  • He listens to everything he was taught, except for this. And as for taking responsibility for him. We do 100% he's treated like a child. He has lots of toys, dog treats, we buy him grain free food (orijen is our current choice 80 bucks a bag) we never yell at him when he does something bad. we're civil and calm about it as to we dont' want to scare him. We dont' hit him or anything like that. I'm actually quite offended that you would say we weren't good owners and our training doesn't work.

You're saying your dog is like your child. So if you brought a child into your home and he needed professional intervention, you wouldn't do it because you needed the money to buy a house?

If your already having a hard time getting by because the economy of the city you live in is horrible and your buying a house, paying for cell phones, bills and food and you can't even afford to go anywhere besides work and home. Once you have money problems like those and need oh lets say at least 400 dollars for professional help you'll see that it is hard to come by. But if it were an actual child One of us would ask a parent for the money to borrow. Yeah I love my dog and I hate that he gets very upset when we leave but right now we can't afford a trainer.
This discussion has been closed.