BMR and calories burned-confused

Options
Hi guys,

I'm just a tad confused about the BMR and the calories burned from normal daily activity in the 'goals' section. Why are they different? I put in a sedimentary lifestyle with little to no exercise each week (I do exercise though) but the calories burned in the goal section is way more than the BMR calculates. I know the BMR is if you were in bed all day but since MFP thinks i'm not doing any exercise, shouldn't they be the same?

There's probably a really simple answer so sorry for clogging up the topic board!

Replies

• rockerbabyy
    rockerbabyy Posts: 2,258 Member
    Options
    the number MFP gave in your goals would be what you need to eat to lose weight (however much you set 0.5-2lbs/week) without any exercise. if you do excerise, you can log it as well, and your daily goal will change then too, allowing you to eat more food to make up for what you burned while exercising
  • joyeaann
    joyeaann Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    even if you are sedentary you do DO things that burn calories... that is where the sedentary calories burned come from - Even if it is getting up to go to the bathroom or typing or talking.
    The BMR is only to exist and breathe with absolutely no activity.
  • MikeSEA
    MikeSEA Posts: 1,074 Member
    Options
    I know the BMR is if you were in bed all day but since MFP thinks i'm not doing any exercise, shouldn't they be the same?

The short answer is no. Sedentary does not equal comatose 24/7. The BMR assumes no activity whatosever. From there it adds a modifier based on activity. Sedentary still includes some activity, just not as much as higher activity levels.