How do you have your weet bix?

Options
I've never been a fan.... I think I remember looking at the weetbix mum put in front of my as a child and wanting only to vomit.

15 years later I can identify the health benefits of such a breakfast and want to broaden my breakfast options so I'm not tempted to go back to my fav sugary cereals.

Please help?! :-)

Replies

• cassondraragan
    cassondraragan Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    Is there a US equivalent of weet bix??? Is it like oatmeal? or cream of wheat??
  • carrie340
    Options
    I know your pain, that was the ONLY thing my Mum would give us, I stopped eating breakfast as a child because of it, my brother will throw up just looking at the box! But I have started to eat them over the past few years, and I actually like them. Give it a try, you never know. :-)
  • oldy76
    oldy76 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    I love weetbix - always have! I put the jug on to boil, then break up x2 weetbix into my bowl. When the water's boiling I put on just enough for it to soak up, then pour on 50ml or so of milk. Then I pile on stewed apple, strawberries or banana and a tablespoon of yoghurt. I LOVE IT this way, but learned it from my dad who's been eating weetbix everyday for most of his 85 years!!
  • shovav91
    shovav91 Posts: 2,335 Member
    Options
    I've never tried it actually, but I live in the US and saw it in a store here! I might have to pick some up :D
  • lcoreo5
    lcoreo5 Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    i just bought a box, my hubby loves it. so im excited to try it!
  • inatay7
    inatay7 Posts: 141
    Options
    Is there a US equivalent of weet bix??? Is it like oatmeal? or cream of wheat??

Is there a US equilvalent? Hmm I don't know..... I don't even know how I would explain them to you.... They're "Wheat Biscuits"
  • inatay7
    Options
    I've never tried it actually, but I live in the US and saw it in a store here! I might have to pick some up :D

Pick some up and let me know what you think :-)

And how you have them...... cos some people like them hot, cold, with fruit etc

I just want suggestions of the nicest way to have them so I can eat them and enjoy them
  • LesleeAH
    Options
    I have weetbix for breakfast EVERY day. They're the healthiest cereal I know of (maybe apart from oats) because they have next to no sugar and plenty of fibre. I have mine just with milk and fruit on top - usually a banana, strawberries, or kiwi fruit. I used to have sugar on them but since I'm trying to get rid of a lot of sugar, the fruit is a good replacement and helps with the kind of bland taste weetbix have.
  • inatay7
    Options
    I have weetbix for breakfast EVERY day. They're the healthiest cereal I know of (maybe apart from oats) because they have next to no sugar and plenty of fibre. I have mine just with milk and fruit on top - usually a banana, strawberries, or kiwi fruit. I used to have sugar on them but since I'm trying to get rid of a lot of sugar, the fruit is a good replacement and helps with the kind of bland taste weetbix have.

Thanks heaps....... is there anything other than fruit I could have with it??
  • LesleeAH
    Options
    Anything I guess...usually its better with soft fruit, just for the ease of eating, so probably not apples or anything like that (I don't like apples anyway so I've never tried it). Use your imagination! Whatever fruit you like would work and make it taste better to you!
  • D446
    D446 Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    Yoghurt is great. Or a little bit of honey. I like to put two week box in the microwave with a small amount of milk so they get warm and soggy (yummmm) then put more milk and a bit of yoghurt. U can't go wrong with strawberries or bananas though!
  • Bluestar083
    Options
    I prefer vita brits-cos that's what i was given growing up :D
    Me-flooded with skim milk and 1 tsp LSA (linseed soy and almond ground)
    Brother-plain with semi-skimmed milk. he has been known to eat 10 in one go
    Sister-with 1/2 banana and skim milk
    Dad-with full fat milk and sometimes pouring cream as a treat (!?)
    Mum-with sultanas and skim milk
    Boyfriend-with 1 tsp raw sugar or a banana or puree fruit

Mmmm. Love them!
    As a child a treat was a vita brits (dry) sliced open with honey and margarine. Yes. A treat. My parents (well Mum especiallay- where health freaks.
  • cassondraragan
    Options
    I wonder if its like the Shredded Wheat we have in the US. They look like little pillows made of...uh.. wheat. We eat them with cold milk. I think I'm going to google weet bix b/c you UK gals have gotten me curious!
  • cassondraragan
    Options
    rlknwp.jpg

Okay, so this is NOT like shredded wheat. Very interesting! I'd like to try it. Would be fun to see if I could find it here. The I'd have to come back to this thread to see how you girls cook this stuff :)
  • LeisureRunner
    Options
    I'm in the US & if its the same thing its called weet a bix here. I just put soy milk on mine.

Ok, just saw the pic posted above & yes its the same thing. Sold in America as weet a bix.