KG, LBS....what the heck!

Options
I see so many people using KG- more then i see LBS. so I thought "HEY! I should probably learn how to convert LBS to KG and visa versa because I get tired of running to google to figure out what people are talking about. "I lost 3kg"....uhh ok?
Anyways.....am i the only one that finds this confusing as all get up?

I guess i find it confusing because for us 1 pounds is just a pound. It's a whole number. but to convert it to kg, to where others would know what youre talking about, it's .45kg...and 1kg is 2.2lbs...stupid fraction of a number

typing it all out i just feel like an idiot. but it really does confuse me! haha

Replies

• meex
    meex Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    im the same with your lbs i usually just half it to figure out approximate kgs. Lbs are probably more accurate cause half a pound would be like .25 kgs for us, we wouldn't notice that but you probs would in lbs
  • Nikki582
    Nikki582 Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    Metric FTW :D

I know that 2.2 lb = 1kg, but I still have to spend a bit of brain power (and eventually google) to figure it out :)
  • jocordes
    jocordes Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    haha Im the same but the other way around. I use kg (australia).. 1 kg is just 1 kg.. and Im always trying to convert pounds to kg so I know what people are on about. I guess its just what you were brought up with and where you live :d
  • bjfmade
    bjfmade Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    I don't even try!
  • sherry_ann_mt
    sherry_ann_mt Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I work as a nurse and we convert lbs to kg all the time....but when I was learning it was confusing!!!!
  • Jorra
    Jorra Posts: 3,338 Member
    Options
    If they were both integers when converted, they would hardly be different units of measure.
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    It is only confusing when you are trying to convert it to another unit of measurement. Step out of your bubble! :happy:
  • Gigi_licious
    Gigi_licious Posts: 1,185 Member
    Options
    I don't know what a kg is in lbs either, but I don't really care. If a friends status says he/she lost 1kg that means they lost SOMETHING so who gives a crap what the conversion is?
  • It is only confusing when you are trying to convert it to another unit of measurement. Step out of your bubble! :happy:
    I'm trying, im trying!!! haha
  • glittermouse
    glittermouse Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    I'm used to thinking in pounds, but the scale I bought is in kg (I'm living in a different country). It really trips me out sometimes, but I keep http://www.metric-conversions.org/weight/kilograms-to-pounds.htm as one of my favorites so I can convert either way pretty quickly. It's actually rather fun weighing myself in kg, then waiting to see what that means in pounds. It's often more than I think.

Also, being American, I'm used to oz and pounds and cups and tablespoons and teaspoons when cooking, but I get mL and grams and all the rest thrown in there. Between converting from one measuring system to another AND THEN not being able to read the local language, shopping for and then making a new recipe is always an adventure!
  • I don't know what a kg is in lbs either, but I don't really care. If a friends status says he/she lost 1kg that means they lost SOMETHING so who gives a crap what the conversion is?
    sure. they LOST and thats great. but if someone posted they lost 5kg, while that is great, TO ME, 5kg doesnt seem like a lot. but n reality its 11pounds. THAT IS AWESOME! its just nice to know what exactly they lost...it's funner if you can understand and feel the same excitement for them, that they feel for themselves!! if that makes sense.
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    I don't know what a kg is in lbs either, but I don't really care. If a friends status says he/she lost 1kg that means they lost SOMETHING so who gives a crap what the conversion is?
    sure. they LOST and thats great. but if someone posted they lost 5kg, while that is great, TO ME, 5kg doesnt seem like a lot. but n reality its 11pounds. THAT IS AWESOME! its just nice to know what exactly they lost...it's funner if you can understand and feel the same excitement for them, that they feel for themselves!! if that makes sense.

See? You can do the conversion! Good for you!
  • Jessamin
    Jessamin Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    Seriously? I'm used to kilograms but can work pounds without much trouble. A kg is approximately two pounds. Double it or half it, easy peasy.
  • Crystal817
    Crystal817 Posts: 2,021 Member
    Options
    Step out of your bubble! :happy:

Noooo! You can't make me! :mad:
  • I don't know what a kg is in lbs either, but I don't really care. If a friends status says he/she lost 1kg that means they lost SOMETHING so who gives a crap what the conversion is?

See? You can do the conversion! Good for you!
    Google is my friend! haha. im getting the hang of it now though. took me a while to realize to basically double it to get pounds and half to get kg. i think im just tired and my brain is making things seem harder then what they really are
  • sheshe32
    sheshe32 Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    Yup I'm in NZ and we are kg here. I just google converter and do it that way.
  • Same with the UK. We mostly use stones. 1 stone = 14lbs, luckily my scales do kg, lbs and stones. I've started to use lbs now as It's easier for on here but also have a conversion chart I found on Google.
  • fitness4meAU
    fitness4meAU Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Yes it gets all the more fun when you try to figure out ST, KG and LBs! WhenI moved to Australia in 99 I didn't even know they were on the metric scale. Imagine trying to figure out how to bake! Then to try to figure ST and KG?! SO challenging. I rely a lot on my scales for grams!

It does get easier over time though:)
  • seal57
    seal57 Posts: 1,259 Member
    Options
    This is the site I use when I want to convert kgs to lbs or lbs to kgs.......

http://www.poundstokilos.com/
  • PlaySchool
    PlaySchool Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I'm in Australia, we use KG's, i use the online conversion calculators to see what KG's into pounds translates as. Google is your friend.