Raw Almonds

Options
Can anyone tell me why one (1) Cup of Raw Almonds can have from 640 calories up 780 calories in the MFP Database?

Replies

• Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    Can anyone tell me why one (1) Cup of Raw Almonds can have from 640 calories up 780 calories in the MFP Database?

I think the likely issue is that most of the entires in MFP are user-entries, and consequently there are plenty that are just wrong. For example, you may see food items with a calorie count and no macronutrient data/etc.
  • andrea198721
    andrea198721 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Look at the label and make your own entry. I've had to do that a couple of times...
  • dolphin9803
    Options
    Like Andrea said either make your own or just correct one that is alreay there. I have had to do this several times and if I make my own I normally keep it just for me so there aren't so many in the database.
  • daves160
    daves160 Posts: 600
    Options
    1 cup is a lot of almonds to eat at one time. 1 oz is equal to 164 cals and 14g fat.

http://www.thecaloriecounter.com/

1 cup equals;
    Calories 827
    Calories from Fat 606

Total Fat 72.4g

Saturated Fat 5.5g

Polyunsaturated Fat 17.5g
    Monounsaturated Fat 46g
    Cholesterol 0mg

Sodium1.4mg

Potassium 1041mg

Total Carbohydrate 28.2g

Dietary Fiber 16.9g

Sugars 6.9g

Protein 30.4g
  • MissFit0101
    MissFit0101 Posts: 2,382
    Options
    Sounds pretty accurate to me. Almonds are VERY high in cals.

ETA::: My almonds are 180 calories for about 12-14 of them...
  • fitzie63
    fitzie63 Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    I keep my bags of nuts in the freezer in zip lock freezer bags; inside, I keep the nutritional label. When I measure out my one or even HALF portion, I weigh the nuts in GRAMS rather than ounces for a closer measurement. You're looking at a full, 8 ounce (cup) measurement rather than a one person "serving". Almost all nuts are high calorie due to the high natural fat content, however, walnuts, for example,

"Skip to content

Type in "My Notes" to add personal or doctor discussion notes before printing.
    Article Link: http://www.webmd.com/food-recipes/news/20110328/walnut-may-be-top-nut-for-heart-health
    Walnut May Be Top Nut for Heart Health
    Walnuts Have More, Better Antioxidants Than Peanuts, Pistachios, Other Nuts, Researcher Says
    By Kathleen Doheny
    WebMD Health News Reviewed by Louise Chang, MD

March 28, 2011 (Anaheim, Calif.) -- Walnuts are the No. 1 nut for heart health, says a researcher who presented his findings Sunday at the American Chemical Society annual meeting.

That’s because walnuts were found to have more antioxidants -- and better-quality antioxidants -- than other popular nuts tested, says Joe Vinson, PhD, a researcher at the University of Scranton in Pennsylvania.

Antioxidants protect cells against damage caused by harmful molecules known as free radicals. The damage can play a role in heart disease and other health conditions.

''Nuts are good for your heart," Vinson says. They can lower cholesterol, reduce the oxidative stress caused by the free radicals, and decrease unhealthy inflammation, he says.

When Vinson analyzed the amount of antioxidants found in walnuts and a variety of other nuts, walnuts came out on top.

"Twenty-eight grams of walnuts (an ounce) have more antioxidants than the sum of what the average person gets from fruits and vegetables," he says. "That is not to say they are a replacement for fruits and vegetables, but they are very antioxidant dense."

The research was internally funded by the university.

Nuts & Health: Back Story
    "Nuts have had a negative connotation,'' Vinson says. Many people shy away from eating them, he finds, worried the fat content and calories will lead to weight gain.

An ounce of English walnuts has 185 calories, according to the U.S. Department of Agriculture. That ounce also has 4 grams of protein, nearly 2 grams of fiber, and more than 18 grams of fat -- but lots of ''heart-healthy'' fat.

Studies have shown that people who incorporate a handful or so of nuts in their diet daily either maintain weight or lose weight, Vinson says.

Now, evidence is emerging that nuts can also help brain health, he says.

Vinson encourages nuts as snacks. "One of the reasons nuts are such a good snack is, it's not empty calories for certain, and you feel full," he says. That makes it likely you won't overeat at the next meal.

A Closer Look at Nuts
    Besides walnuts, Vinson analyzed the antioxidant content of other popular nuts, including:

Almonds
    Peanuts
    Pistachios
    Hazelnuts
    Brazil nuts
    Cashews
    Macadamia nuts
    Pecans
    Brazil nuts were the runner-up for antioxidant content. Peanuts also fell short of walnuts.

Walnuts and Health Benefits: Second Perspective
    "This study tells us something important about the composition of walnuts," says David Katz, MD, MPH, director of the Yale University Prevention Research Center. He reviewed the findings for WebMD.

The walnut industry has funded two studies Katz has done, he says. But it had no say in the study design, analysis, interpretation, or publication.

''Antioxidants are important nutrients, and in principle, a food rich in antioxidants is apt to confer health benefits," Katz says. "In the case of walnuts, that principle is not in doubt." Studies, including some by Katz, show that walnuts improve cardiac risk factors and enhance blood flow, he says.

This study was presented at a medical conference. The findings should be considered preliminary as they have not yet undergone the "peer review" process, in which outside experts scrutinize the data prior to publication in a medical journal.

Top Picks
    Quinoa Side Salad: Get Your Fiber and Protein
    6 Unhealthy Habits, Including Kitchen Blunders
    Lactose Intolerant? See How to Eat Dairy
    Easy, Healthy Meals for Arthritis
    Healthy Menu Plan for Diabetes
    Food-Free Energy Boosters"
    SOURCES:
    Joe Vinson, PhD, researcher, University of Scranton, Scranton, Pa.
    241st National Meeting & Exposition of the American Chemical Society, Anaheim, Calif., March 27-31, 2011.
    David Katz, MD, MPH, director, Yale University Prevention Research Center, Derby, Conn.
    © 2011 WebMD, LLC. All rights reserved.
    ©2005-2007 WebMD, Inc. All rights reserved.
  • karinaes
    karinaes Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    700 calories for a cup of nuts sounds just about right.
    i have about half a cup of a mix almost every day which add up to 300 calories.
  • andrea198721
    andrea198721 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I eat Emerald Cocoa Roast almonds because the plain get kind of boring lol But I can eat about 30 for 150 cals!