sick and STARVING

Options
I've had flu-like symptoms for the last couple of days and have noticed a marked increase in appetite. Today was the day I felt the worst and I did practically nothing but lay in bed and sleep/watch junk tv. I wasn't eating out of boredom, but out of hunger! I figured I wouldn't worry about it too much as I didn't even hit maintenance but it just doesn't seem fair!

I did notice however that I'm eating the same number of calories as I normally do, just not exercising to earn the ones over my deficit. Could it be that my body has just gotten used to this amount of food regardless of energy output? Is that any sort of a problem - apart from being sick?

Replies

• Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    Could it be that my body has just gotten used to this amount of food regardless of energy output? Is that any sort of a problem - apart from being sick?

I could be wrong on this, but I believe ghrelin is a hormone that regulates hunger, and ghrelin production will adjust to your meal habits, so in short, some of this hunger would likely be habitual based on previous feedings. I could totally be full of crap on this particular point.

As far as it being a problem, no. I wouldn't even think twice about it. Secondarily, post-sickness you'll likely be quite hungry and you should eat, IMO.
  • havalinaaa
    havalinaaa Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    Thanks, just checking. I figure if I'm sick I should be more worried about getting better than about losing weight, but was more worried about my body being so set to eat this number of calories all the time.
  • baycat107
    baycat107 Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    Wouldn't worry about it. Flu does a number on your body. Listen to your body, get well and then get back on track. Hope you're feeling better soon.
  • Aviendha_RJ
    Aviendha_RJ Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    I've had flu-like symptoms for the last couple of days and have noticed a marked increase in appetite. ..... I wasn't eating out of boredom, but out of hunger!

You're sick... your body is burning calories fighting it off. If you don't feed your illness, it'll get worse. Just try to get protein & fruit... the more water you toss at sick, the faster it flushes out. Good luck!