Wicked cravings, how to control??

Options
kimad
kimad Posts: 3,010 Member
Hello,

I have never posted on the board before, other than to reply to others... but I need help!

I have been at this just over 6 months and have done very well. I found it quite easy to follow my calories and just eat well & exercise. I had no problem walking away from a snack at work, or the candy at the supermarket but this week has SUCKED!

Things that once didn't phase me, are now calling my name from the kitchen at work. Thank god I don't have any crap at my house to indulge in, so I was able to keep it fairly well in check at home, but I feel like a mad women. And with no junk to indulge in, I started picking -- an extra rice cake, a bite of my kids left over meal, or whatever.... I feel like I could sit down and eat an entire box of cookies. I haven't, and I should be proud of that, but the way I have felt this week, one of loss of control, scares me with Halloween and Christmas around the corner.

I am hoping for some tips or tricks to help me through these..... I just to think the switch had turned on, that this was my life now (and it is!) but this week severe doubt has set in and it feels terrible.

Maybe I just need someone else to tell me they hit a 6 month itch too.

Thank you!!

ps- don't mind my journal for today, it is a bit off... and I had 2 cookies eek! (then I threw the rest of the girl guide cookies in the garbage, seriously I did LOL!!)

Replies

• rockerbabyy
    rockerbabyy Posts: 2,258 Member
    Options
    i keep my cravings down by not cutting anything out of my diet. i eat cookies and candy and ice cream and white rice and potatoes. i find that when i try to cut anything out, i just crave it and i end up binging on it.
  • kimad
    kimad Posts: 3,010 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the reply. You know what? I do too! and I just choose to have that snack becuase I want it at that moment, but this week was different. This week I couldn't control anything. I wanted to devour a box of cookies, I wanted a entire cake, I just couldn't stop thinking about eating terrible. It was really scary for me. Scared of going back to the old me.
  • bregalad5
    bregalad5 Posts: 3,965 Member
    Options
    It's tough, and we all have those days/weeks (I caved today when a big bowl of candy was placed in front of me... ugh). You just have to remind yourself of three things:

1) since you (like me) aren't restricting... MODERATION
    2) Your goal(s)
    3) You'll likely feel like crap the next day

Hope that makes sense. I'm falling asleep here :wink:
  • thor1god1of1awesome
    thor1god1of1awesome Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    i keep my cravings down by not cutting anything out of my diet. i eat cookies and candy and ice cream and white rice and potatoes. i find that when i try to cut anything out, i just crave it and i end up binging on it.
    This
  • rockerbabyy
    rockerbabyy Posts: 2,258 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the reply. You know what? I do too! and I just choose to have that snack becuase I want it at that moment, but this week was different. This week I couldn't control anything. I wanted to devour a box of cookies, I wanted a entire cake, I just couldn't stop thinking about eating terrible. It was really scary for me. Scared of going back to the old me.
    sorry - i didnt mean to make it sound like you were doing anything wrong, its just that is what helps me. i havent had uber cravings like youre describing now, so i wouldnt know how to deal with it.
  • TaraMKL
    TaraMKL Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I try to have stuff that fits the bill but won't totally take my mojo or completely derail me.

I lovvvveeeee ice cream....rainbow sherbet is a great ice cream treat for me.
    I loooovvvveeee chips. Special k cracker chips with red pepper hummus is a good chipsand dip treat for me.

Stuff like that. I also have beenntrying to give myself 10 minutes and a glass of water before I actually eat whatever...sometimes the idea or craving isn't as strong after a bit. Sometimes it's worse, lol.

Today I had a pumpkin chocolate chip cookie...no substitution. I am far from perfect!