What's the lowest BMI you'd go to?

Oishii
Oishii Posts: 2,675 Member
Yesterday my mum was shocked and upset to hear that my BMI was 20. She said 22 was ideal, but at 22 I still have double chins, so that's hardly ideal for me :laugh:

I won't go below 20, at least for the moment, because, statistically, that could affect fertility and I'm TTC. If I wasn't TTC I might see if a BMI of 18 was when my stomach finally reduced, but I wouldn't go any lower.

I know BMI isn't perfect, but what is your, personal, bottom limit?

Replies

• Yakisoba
    Yakisoba Posts: 719 Member
    Whatever 135lb. at 5'4'' is.
  • claire_xox
    claire_xox Posts: 282 Member
    mine is currently 18.7
    Physically I'm NOT happy with my body, I want to tone, build muscle . gain weight and lose inches

I wouldn't recommend going below 20
  • quitmakingexcuses
    quitmakingexcuses Posts: 906 Member
    I'm not looking for a specific number, but I'm trying to get right in the middle of the healthy range. :)
  • Oishii

23.1, according to my calculator
  • capriciousmoon
    capriciousmoon Posts: 1,263 Member
    I was down to a BMI of 20 two years ago, but I still looked chubby and people thought I was still overweight so... I will probably aim for 18 and see what works for me. I'm mostly looking at my body fat % though, more than weight and BMI.
  • Right now I'm at about 24.2, my goal would put me at 19.5 and that freaks my mom out. :P
    I don't think there is a real "ideal" bmi, as long as it's in the healthy zone it shouldn't be a problem.
  • wendyannie1976
    wendyannie1976 Posts: 205 Member
    I don't go on BMI as its unpredictable - at the moment I'm 3.5lbs away from goal and that will put me at 21.5 BMI but I have body fat of just 15.4% which BMI doesn't take into account, this site has the lowest healthy BMI of 18.5 which for me is 114.6lbs another 16lbs lower then goal which I know is not a good look especially with lowish body fat so personally I wouldn't use BMI as a goal its how comfortable and happy you are in your body, you can tone and tighten up but still be at a heavier BMI whilst being smaller size.

Hope you find the right size for you x
  • Yakisoba
    Yakisoba Posts: 719 Member

-just realized what your username is- ^.^
  • shakybabe
    shakybabe Posts: 1,578 Member
    My Wii Fit says mine should be 22 and I should be 9st 3 so that's what I'm aiming for. Started at 12st 7 with BMI of 29... down to 11st 3 and BMI 27, hoping to reach goal by my birthday next year (June 2012).
  • Oishii

-just realized what your username is- ^.^

Loving yours too (⌒▽⌒)
  • suzycreamcheese
    suzycreamcheese Posts: 1,766 Member
    i dont think i look good at lower than 19 or 19.5
  • meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,605 Member
    If you're going under 20, and still worrying about double chins or fat bits, you might want to consider very seriously how accurately you're perceiving your own body. Sometimes other people's guidance on this is the best.
  • If you're going under 20, and still worrying about double chins or fat bits, you might want to consider very seriously how accurately you're perceiving your own body. Sometimes other people's guidance on this is the best.

Ditto. We often fail to see our bodies accurately and spiral into danger zone thinking that less weight us the answer. Body recomposition is the real solution.

BMI is far from perfect but that lower limit is there for a reason. I believe that if you had to lose a significant amount of weight to get there then it probably isn't ideal for your body and a bmi of 20-22 is more reasonable.

For me, the lowest I'd go is 18.5-19. I've always been fit/thin so losing bodyfat reduces my bmi...I never had much to lose.
  • cppeace
    cppeace Posts: 764 Member
    well I am trying to actually get down to what is still considered overweight at 25.6 or something being 5'7 and 165 once there I may decide to drop 10 more pound doubt I'll ever go lower... Im pretty big boned and curvy so shall see... Yeah unless you just happen to be really waifish I wouldnt go below 18 myself but thats me :) good luck
  • surveying
    surveying Posts: 25 Member
    They say your bmi should be between 20 and 25. I think the medical people would possibly say that below that is unhealthy.
  • rajivdubey
    rajivdubey Posts: 382 Member
    I would say that depending on your age watever one can manage between 20-25. 22 being ideal.

Mine is 24 and I want to get to 22. My wife has BMI of 19 and she wants to get to 20.

We all have different goals! lol!
  • Oishii
    If you're going under 20, and still worrying about double chins or fat bits, you might want to consider very seriously how accurately you're perceiving your own body. Sometimes other people's guidance on this is the best.

Ditto. We often fail to see our bodies accurately and spiral into danger zone thinking that less weight us the answer. Body recomposition is the real solution.

BMI is far from perfect but that lower limit is there for a reason. I believe that if you had to lose a significant amount of weight to get there then it probably isn't ideal for your body and a bmi of 20-22 is more reasonable.

For me, the lowest I'd go is 18.5-19. I've always been fit/thin so losing bodyfat reduces my bmi...I never had much to lose.

The double chins are still there at 60kg and my waist is a whole two sizes bigger than my hips. Now at 55kg, they are gone and my waist is only one size bigger than my hips. I know I don't have a double chin now. There is perception at work, but also genetics. You can be overweight and not have double chins, or a 'healthy' weight but still have them. Unfortunately the latter applies for me.
  • Lozzy_82
    Lozzy_82 Posts: 324 Member
    I don't know really. I'm at around 24.6 at the moment and I'm still pretty fat, so I think I could get significantly lower without looking too thin or unhealthy. I'm aiming for around 22-23 though, to start with.
  • jillleanne
    jillleanne Posts: 72 Member
    My BMI is at 19.6 right now. And I still want to lose another 15 lbs. Which puts me at "underweight". BMI is kind of nonsense. It doesnt take into account your build, your bone/muscle density and etc. Its just a general tool.
  • allie1904
    allie1904 Posts: 248
    18.5 xx