Calf Muscles

Options
I just wanted to see what you guys think. I have lost about 22kg (48 pounds) and my legs are starting to get nicely toned up and look ok, but I think that my calf muscles are out of preportion. I think they are too big from having to carry my fat body around for so long and I would like them to be smaller. I feel like my thigh muscles are all ok and in preportion, but the calves just seem to big.

Anyone else feel the same?
Any ideas what I can do about it? I go to the gym a few days a week and do cardio and some weights, although nothing specifically for the calves.....

ta

Replies

• deathstarclock
    deathstarclock Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    To lose lean mass you have to lose weight. You can't target weight loss in a specific area of your body due to genetic predisposition, but you can reduce lean mass through negative calorie balance. I've never heard of anyone wanting to reduce the size of a muscle but if I was presented with that goal I would say just keep doing what you're doing to lose weight since you're not working out your calves specifically. It'll take time.
  • mrdee555
    mrdee555 Posts: 178
    Options
    alota guys would kill for bigger calfs its usually a sign of good muscle building genetics, because i was alway havey when i was younger id have fairly good calves for a guy. it very hard try and loose muscle in a specific area you mite think by burning them out every day on a treadmill with a good incline would burn them away but it could have the opposite affect a stimulate growth its hard to know tbh.
  • sryan8408
    sryan8408 Posts: 244
    Options
    I have the exact same problem. My calves are all muscle, developed them when I played soccer for for 8 years as a kid and now they won't go away! I would look so much thinner if my dang calves weren't so huge lol. Oh well, at least I know they're strong and can take me places!
  • Smelerz
    Smelerz Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I have the same issue, every time I go shopping I would love to buy a pair of high boots but my calf muscles are too big for them. I talked to my trainer about it and he said it all takes time after losing weight for body part to shrink however he had one suggestion for me when I spin, if doing a seated climb use only the pad of your foot (near your toes) to peddle. He said it works the calf muscles in a different direction then regular running and jumping. I have only been doing it for a month so too soon to see results but I will keep at it

good luck!
  • Scoobies87
    Options
    My calves are huge, always have been no matter how curvy/slim I am. It runs in the family. I have learnt to accept them.
  • deathstarclock
    deathstarclock Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    You guys are lucky, I would KILL for bigger calves, but my genetics want me to be a sprinter :(
  • lalilalu
    lalilalu Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Interesting ideas - Thanks.

Seems like I'm stuck with them until the rest of me gets smaller - Oh well, there are many worse things I could have.....
  • lalilalu
    lalilalu Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    oops