Omelettes

Options
I've started eating egg-white omelettes for breakfast. They are great because they are high in protein and low in fat.
I've been having 3 egg whites with mushrooms, tomato and onion. I love it but I'm scared ill get sick of it quickly like most things.

Do you guys have some other suggestions for what I can put into an omelette? I don't want cheese or anything high in fat. Just some vegetables suggestions please!

Replies

• chef970
    chef970 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Spinach & peppers
  • Scoobies87
    Options
    There's nothing wrong with having a little low fat cheese in them, I cannot have omelette without cheese I would find it so boring! But other then cheese I have spinach in mine and cherry tomatos sometimes.
  • destanicheri
    destanicheri Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    spinach, peppers...salsa is good too!
  • grrrlface
    grrrlface Posts: 1,204 Member
    Options
    If you used low fat cheese you could do a cheese and broccoli omelette... Bit boring without the cheese though. :)
  • ExYoYoGirl
    Options
    You can saute nearly any vegetable in your pan before adding your egg whites; you can also try adding different fresh herbs (basil, chives, etc). Also, try having some fresh salsa or hummus over it.
  • Jeneba
    Jeneba Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    Potato & spinach!
  • hannahjane91
    Options
    Thanks for the suggestions.
    I think ill definitely try putting some spinach in it as so many of you suggested it.
    And adding salsa sound lovely!
    Thankyou
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,011 Member
    Options
    Yeah, add the yolk, that where most of the nutrition, taste and goodness is. Personally I don't know how anyone can convince themselves cooked egg whites tastes any good. No cheese and no yolks....you must be getting a lot fat somewhere else to give those up. Anyway, saying that, sorry had to. Just about anything works with an omelette, personally I like smoked salmon and spinach.
  • jannah22
    Options
    5g of Parmesan will add 22 calories and TONNES of flavour! Corn kernels are yummy too, and so is zucchini! Top with cracked black pepper! :)
  • Ant_M76
    Ant_M76 Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    I am glad somebody started this thread. I have had omelette for dinner, for the past 3 nights! Need some inspiration because so far all I have added is ham. I have 3 large eggs (with yolk) salt & pepper and a splash of skimmed milk. Going to chuck sliced chicken and tomato into the next one :)

Oh, and Today I purchased a new frying pan with non stick and a copper base... hurrah!
  • FireMama_24
    FireMama_24 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    I would help but I can't get one to turn out for me.....so mine end up being an egg scrambled surprise as I call it.
  • kir911
    kir911 Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    one of my favs is zuchinni and mild green chiles with salsa on top! I agree though...I use a little 2% cheese...won't kill ya!
  • KaySera
    KaySera Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Yeah, add the yolk, that where most of the nutrition, taste and goodness is. Personally I don't know how anyone can convince themselves cooked egg whites tastes any good. No cheese and no yolks....you must be getting a lot fat somewhere else to give those up. Anyway, saying that, sorry had to. Just about anything works with an omelette, personally I like smoked salmon and spinach.

Here in the UK, we're not used to having just "egg whites" so I've always wondered.....You mean you get an egg and throw away the yolk (healthy maybe, but such a waste). The only time I would consider using only the egg white is for when I make these:

http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/2445/ultimate-meringue

:laugh:

LOL
  • bethdris
    bethdris Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    I make mine with green peppers, red onion, spinach, broccoli, 1 slice 2% cheddar cheese(45 cals), and 1 slice deli ham(8 cals). You can put literally almost anything in an omelette! :) I eat them almost every day!
  • wilkyway
    wilkyway Posts: 151
    Options
    Goat cheese & baby spinach
    Olives, tomatoes, onions and arugula
    lean cuts of turkey/ham
    Chicken, curry & tomatoes
    you're favourite style skinny pizza
    mexican: black beans, sweet corn, salsa....

oh my, ANYTHING!

To me eggwhite omelettes are like oatmeal....they are SO simple, but highly nutritous, and the toppings/stuffings have NO end!

cheers
  • Laurelje
    Laurelje Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    Omelettes are great because you can put anything into them. When my husband and I first got married, he suggested I do a chili omelette for breakfast. I thought he was crazy, until I tried it! He makes a great chili with ground turkey and three different kinds of beans. That, with a little 2% shredded cheddar - what a way to start the day! This morning I took some leftover "hash" he had made - diced white and sweet potatoes, ground turkey, and mushrooms - with a little of that shredded cheddar...I love Saturday's! And I agree with others on here - two whole eggs are not going to wreck your diet! I have a hard time flipping it too - I have started using two spatulas! ;-)
  • Ant_M76
    Ant_M76 Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    I have a hard time flipping it too - I have started using two spatulas! ;-)

OMG, are you supposed to cook both sides?? I feel like such a fool :(
    I have had 4 in the past 4 days and no flippage was involved. I turn them out onto the plate, however.
  • calliope_music
    calliope_music Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options
    my favorites: tomato, green pepper, onion

spinach, tomato, feta
  • BeanyFrog13
    BeanyFrog13 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I always have whole eggs, I chuck in some chopped tomatoes, a bit of cheese, and, if I'm feeling decadent, a small amount of crispy bacon lol! Spinich really does sound good thigh, I would never have thought to add that! :) Sometimes they work out really well for me, other times I totally agree, scrambled egg surprise :)
  • curbnoise
    curbnoise Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I like mine with sauteed onion, green and red pepper and diced (fresh) jalepeno's with a little reduced fat shredded cheddar. Actually had this for breakfast this morning.