fruit or no fruit?

Options
I love fruit and know it has wonderful vitamins in it but I also know it has a lot of sugar in it...
I have recently been told to limit my intake of sugar to 30 grams which I can NOT do by eating fruit...
does it really make a difference? I miss my fruit :(

Replies

• jellybaby84
    jellybaby84 Posts: 583 Member
    Options
    Eat fruit! It won't stop you losing weight.
  • sjtreely
    sjtreely Posts: 1,014 Member
    Options
    Eat it.
  • kimber_av
    Options
    fruit is a healthier form of sugar that candies and baked goods. It's still important to watch your sugar intake. However, if you want some fruit- find the ones lowest in sugars and enjoy them! They are good for you and ultimately better than if you had candy.
  • darlalu00
    darlalu00 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    Eat fruit it's good for you!!!
  • thankyou4thevenom
    thankyou4thevenom Posts: 1,581 Member
    Options
    You're better off cutting off your other sources of sugar rather than the fruit.
  • H_Factor
    H_Factor Posts: 1,722 Member
    Options
    for the most part, I'm on board with eating fruit and the idea that natural sugar from fruit is fine. My only reservation is that I don't know who told you to limit sugar to under 30 grams per day. If your doctor told you this, then you should ask your doctor about eating fruit. Don't rely on a random group of folks to override any medical advice you were given.
  • BeautyFromPain
    BeautyFromPain Posts: 4,952 Member
    Options
    for the most part, I'm on board with eating fruit and the idea that natural sugar from fruit is fine. My only reservation is that I don't know who told you to limit sugar to under 30 grams per day. If your doctor told you this, then you should ask your doctor about eating fruit. Don't rely on a random group of folks to override any medical advice you were given.

No it was by a person on MFP.
  • cubanasusana
    cubanasusana Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    fruit is an all natural sweet yummy snack that is not processed with preservatives and filled with junk, like so many "low cal low sugar options" If it grows and you have to pick it then chances are it's good for you, in moderation like with any food :)
  • CherylM2015
    CherylM2015 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    You don't have to cut it - it's good for you!

However, if you're concerned about sugar intake, you do have to be aware of portions and the time of day that you eat it. Best in the morning, mid-morning, and early afternoon. 1/2 a banana = 1 serving of fruit 1/3 cup blueberries = 1 serving, etc.

After seeing a nutritionist, I was also told to avoid watermelon...(my favourite) because of the high sugar content.

That being said.....I don't know if anyone has ever gotten OR remained fat from eating fruit :)
  • arosmith79
    arosmith79 Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    The limit that they are probably referring to is added sugar not naturally occuring in fruits and veggies. I cant find a site anywhere that says we need to limit natural sugar intake but to just eat it in moderation
  • MrsSWW
    MrsSWW Posts: 1,590 Member
    Options

Then ignore them and get back to eating fruit - it's good for you!
  • jazzalea
    jazzalea Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    not all fruits are created equal, do a little research and find out what fruits have more less or better sugars ... and listen to your body...when it wants something, give it a healthier choice but give it what it wants....you control the craving instead of the craving controlling you!
  • Mmmary212
    Mmmary212 Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    I eat fruit a couple of times a week....either an apple or a plum/apricot. I treat fruit as the average person treats a cupcake.
  • Liss416
    Liss416 Posts: 209 Member
    Options

I completely agree with the above. If a medical professional told you to watch your sugar intake, then do so. If you enjoy fruit, find the fruit with the least amount of sugar - and limit sugar from other resources.
  • SusanneWhittington
    SusanneWhittington Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    my doctor told me to watch it with too many fruits since I started juicing, but she said that it is a good thing, just not overdoing it, which would be like eating an insane amount of fruit. And there are fruits with more sugar and some with less, just find a healthy balance, I reduce my grapes and cherries to a small amount.
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    Liste, You see all those fatties munching on strawberries and oranges.
    No thank you, I will stick to my fried french fries dipped in splendia.

no_fruit_150.jpg
  • Kelly_Wilson1990
    Kelly_Wilson1990 Posts: 3,245 Member
    Options
    I would cut out all white sugar from you diet. Eat you 30 grams in fruit and whole grains. Use Stevia as a sweetener instead of forms of white processed sugar.
  • Mommawarrior
    Mommawarrior Posts: 897 Member
    Options
    Don't eat 20 servings a day, but eat your fruit. Fresh fruit is all natural, no additives, preservatives etc. People will chose to eat processed garbage that has fake sweeteners in them to limit their sugar intake instead of fresh fruit and that is not good. It makes no sense. The fresher you eat the healthier you will be. Eat your fresh fruit!
  • MrsNoir
    MrsNoir Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    Fruit, of course, but choose ones that don't have a high amount of sugars, find out which ones have more sugar than others, I know grapes and bananas tend to be quite high in sugars, so you might have to reduce their intake to twice a week, and increase the intake of not so sweet ones like strawberries, apples or melon :)
  • Liss416
    Liss416 Posts: 209 Member
    Options

Then ignore them and get back to eating fruit - it's good for you!

Why would the person on MFP suggest cutting sugar? Are you in a plateau? or was it general advice - have x% sugar, x%protein, x% fat, etc.?

You have to do what's best for you. If you enjoy fruit, then eat a balanced amount.

For me, I eat several servings of fruit a day. I love fruit and it satisfies my sweet tooth. I avoid the other sugars... and I don't drink juice. I'm a couple of pounds away from goal weight - and my way of eating works for me.

Maybe ask your doctor at your next physical or contact a nutritionist, if you really want to know how much sugar you personally should consume.