What is the HCG diet?

Options
BeautyFromPain
BeautyFromPain Posts: 4,952 Member
Everyone always complains about it but I have no idea what it is?

Don't worry... NO WAY am i trying any diet myself just curious as to what all the fuss is about?

Replies

• thankyou4thevenom
    thankyou4thevenom Posts: 1,581 Member
    Options
    It's the belief that pee from pregnant women can make you lose weight (not the 500 cal a day diet they put you on).
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    Its not a belief, its a fact.
    You can get the cheep stuff that has no HGC in it, or get the good stuff that has genuine knocked up lady pee.

You need to eat 500 calories, or or your fat cells will open up and just go crazy absorbing everything like in that movie. Akira.
  • kmbrooks15
    kmbrooks15 Posts: 941 Member
    Options
    Here we go again...everybody grab your popcorn!

Sorry, I don't mean to be snarky...it's just that every time this topic comes up, it becomes a very, shall we say, HEATED discussion.

HCG stands for human chorionic gonadotropin (Think I spelled that right). This is the hormone secreted by pregnant women (the same hormone detected by home pregnancy tests). The HCG diet uses synthesized HCG, administered by either drops under the tongue or injections by a doctor. The person then eats only selected foods to the tune of 500 calories a day. People who have done this swear that the HCG helps them not be hungry and have lots of energy.

The reasons the majority of us are against this diet are:
    1. Very low calorie diets are dangerous. The body needs a minimum of 1200 calories per day (more for men) just to function.
    2. It's unsustainable. Even someone who manages to pull this off for the 3 weeks that you do it can't stay on it forever.
    3. The FDA has NOT approved this as a weight loss tool. Studies have also shown that HCG has no impact on your weight; it's the 500 calories a day that causes you to lose.
    4. Some people have had VERY bad side effects from doing it. There have been reports of people losing hair (to the point of looking like a cancer patient on chemo), messing their digestive systems, etc.
    5. There are very few reports of people who do this diet and KEEP THE WEIGHT OFF.

I'm glad you're not considering it. If you know anyone who is, warn them. It's so much safer to do what MFP suggests and make lifestyle changes in the way you eat and get some exercise.

Be prepared...you may get some really ugly comments...just ignore them. At least you were just asking out of curiosity, but some will just see that you asked and go on the attack!
  • BSero1982
    Options
    Are you fricking serious?!
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    Why do you hate?
  • SueGremlin
    SueGremlin Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    That sounds incredibly stupid.
  • Thomasm198
    Thomasm198 Posts: 3,189 Member
    Options
    :huh:

If this is a genuine question.

It's snake oil made from urine of pregnant women. The cult followers are convinced it's the piss that helps them lose weight and not the fact that they're barely eating enough to keep a mouse alive.
  • terihcg
    Options
    It really does work.. I have lost 50 lbs on hcg and have maintained my new body for going on a year.. even the good old Dr.Oz is now doing his own clinical trials on the hcg protocol..no one can do a 500 calorie diet without hcg..you will go into starvation mode..I really love how people that have done no research on this diet , are so quick to run it through the mud..if someone really wants info,then research it.. there are hcg clinics opening everywhere , and YouTube and Facebook has a whole YouTube community out there..
  • SueGremlin
    SueGremlin Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    It really does work.. I have lost 50 lbs on hcg and have maintained my new body for going on a year.. even the good old Dr.Oz is now doing his own clinical trials on the hcg protocol..no one can do a 500 calorie diet without hcg..you will go into starvation mode..I really love how people that have done no research on this diet , are so quick to run it through the mud..if someone really wants info,then research it.. there are hcg clinics opening everywhere , and YouTube and Facebook has a whole YouTube community out there..
    Sounds like you were suckered into spending money on something that you would have had the same success without. It's your prerogative, your body and your money.
    You said the magic word: Dr. Oz. That makes it even less credible.
  • mmuzzatti
    mmuzzatti Posts: 706 Member
    Options

Is that why your eyes are so buggy? Then why are you here? To promote it for your doctor friend so money can be spent on this piss! Give it a rest! The OP asked a good question but yes you trolls come out and want to promote it! Getthe****outahere!
  • deathstarclock
    deathstarclock Posts: 512 Member
    Options

LMFAO!!!!!!!!!! You're so fake, you're sole purpose for being on this website is to promote it.
  • Thomasm198
    Thomasm198 Posts: 3,189 Member
    Options

Very reliable sources of information: Youtube and Facebook. :flowerforyou:
  • kmbrooks15
    Options
    While I know we all disagree with the use of the HCG diet, let's remember that it is Terihcg's right to use it if she chooses. We may not agree with it, but it's her body. I'd love to see just one thread not disintegrate into personal attacks.

Terihcg, I may not agree with your choice to use HCG, but I am glad you've had success. You seem to be one of the few that has kept it off. I guess that's my biggest issue is that so many that do it gain the weight back, so they are right back where they started minus several hundred or possibly several thousand dollars.

Good luck with your last few pounds!
  • Scoobies87
    Options
    This is without doubt, the most ridiculous, idiotic thing I have ever heard. When are people going to get it through their skulls that losing weight really is as simple as eating healthier and exercise??!!

I have hardly had to change my eating habits to lose weight. I just cut out the alcohol and crap. WOW shocking I know. No magic pill, no drinking pee etc.

What next, eating the faeces of a sheep?

This is not aimed at anyone in particular by the way, not unless you are silly enough to try this.
  • i_love_vinegar
    i_love_vinegar Posts: 2,092 Member
    Options
    While I know we all disagree with the use of the HCG diet, let's remember that it is Terihcg's right to use it if she chooses. We may not agree with it, but it's her body. I'd love to see just one thread not disintegrate into personal attacks.

Terihcg, I may not agree with your choice to use HCG, but I am glad you've had success. You seem to be one of the few that has kept it off. I guess that's my biggest issue is that so many that do it gain the weight back, so they are right back where they started minus several hundred or possibly several thousand dollars.

Very well and kindly put! I completely agree with this comment :smile:
  • kmbrooks15
    Options

Very well and kindly put! I completely agree with this comment :smile:

Thanks...I just get so tired of people sharing an opinion and getting attacked for it. You can disagree without being nasty. The snarkiness is not going to convince the other person to your opinion, so why go there?
  • Sh1tsRainbows
    Sh1tsRainbows Posts: 1,227 Member
    Options
    OP...just a thought...GOOGLE IT!!!!!
  • cobracars
    cobracars Posts: 949 Member
    Options

There's a small island off the coast of Greece where they've known about this secret to health and fitness for centuries. Its clinically proven and I even saw a guy in a white lab coat who says he's a physician verify the results. The big drug companies don't want you to know and the FDA has been paid off to keep it a secret from the public. Money back guarantee! If you order now we'll DOUBLE your order! That's a $1000 value for only $19.95! If you become a distributor you can get your product free! Just sign up 10 friends..and if each of them sign up 10 friends you can become a REGIONAL distributor. We'll even give you a free sheep-dip colored car to drive around for freeeeeeee !!!!!!
    But hurry, because the world is going to end on 12/12/2012 !!!!
  • skylark94
    skylark94 Posts: 2,036 Member
    Options
    This is without doubt, the most ridiculous, idiotic thing I have ever heard. When are people going to get it through their skulls that losing weight really is as simple as eating healthier and exercise??!!

I have hardly had to change my eating habits to lose weight. I just cut out the alcohol and crap. WOW shocking I know. No magic pill, no drinking pee etc.

This is not aimed at anyone in particular by the way, not unless you are silly enough to try this.

I've got a friend who is doing hcg right now. She's working out when she has the energy, living on tiny portions of meat and a ton of veggies, can not have any alcohol, and is giving herself injections. She's miserable, but losing about 2 pounds a week. She swears that what she is doing will work because it's "doctor prescribed".

I am eating 1500-1700 calories of whatever I want every day, exercising daily, having the occasional drink, and also losing 2 pounds a week, but I simply can not convince her that what she is doing to herself is unnecessary. It's sad.
  • PearlMarie_3gen_11484
    Options
    Human chorionic gonadotropin or human chorionic gonadotrophin (hCG) is a glycoprotein hormone produced during pregnancy that is made by the developing embryo after conception and later by the syncytiotrophoblast (part of the placenta). Some tumors make this hormone, measured elevated levels when the patient is not pregnant can lead to a cancer diagnosis. However, it is not known whether this production is a contributing cause or an effect of tumorigenesis. The pituitary analog of hCG, known as luteinizing hormone (LH), is produced in the pituitary gland of males and females of all ages. Since the mid-20th century, hCG has been promoted as a supplement to combat weight loss, though there has been no proof that it is effective or safe.