High Protein intake

Options
So I'm inputting everything I eat and almost every day I go over my protein goal. usually 15-30g over.
Is this going to inhibit my ability to lose weight?
I eat a breakfast bar that has 6-8g in it, then usually a sandwich for lunch and dinner always has meat in it. I never thought I would be eating too many g of protein.

Replies

• NPetrakis
    NPetrakis Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    no, you're fine. If nothing else the extra protein will help you not catabolize lean muscle as you lose weight.
  • kristarablue
    Options
    If you are using the MFP settings for protein, they are only at 15% and that is low so not to worry you protein may actually be low for what you need if you are working out a lot
  • LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo
    Options
    The MFP default settings for protein is too low so its normal that you go over. 15% actually is too low. We need to take in at least .8 grams of protein for every pound of weight. I had adjusted my settings because I was adviced to take 40% (carbs), 30% (protein) & 30% (fat) in my diet.
  • BSero1982
    Options
    Protein is good for ya, adds ya some muscles :)
  • MercenaryNoetic26
    MercenaryNoetic26 Posts: 2,747 Member
    Options
    no, you're fine. If nothing else the extra protein will help you not catabolize lean muscle as you lose weight.

I agree! Always better to go over than under!!! Good job!!
  • Kelly_Wilson1990
    Kelly_Wilson1990 Posts: 3,245 Member
    Options
    You can manually adjust your protein levels in your settings. I upped mine to 35% per my nutritionist who said the settings here were way to low. I also lowered my carb intake to 35. She said the carb settings were too high so I lowered it to 35% too.
  • kimber_av
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I'm new to the whole counting thing so I'm learning!
    I did go in and change the amounts to what I"ve always heard was good for my body. =]
  • NPetrakis
    NPetrakis Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    all good advice. I like the support people give each other on this site. very positive.
    I'm new myself this week, I'm impressed.