Breakfast?

Options
I've never been a big fan of breakfast. But I know I need to eat it if I am going to be working out in-between breakfast and lunch. But what I'm wondering, if I want to do an early workout, early as is before my typical breakfast time, do I eat before I workout or after? And how long before or after? Any advice on this would be awesome and appreciated.

Replies

• TheDoctor90
    TheDoctor90 Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't eat a large breakfast before a workout, I always end up feeling sick. Usually it'll be maybe two bananas before a workout, big breakfast after.

Breakfast is widely regarded as being vital, not just for weight loss, but for a healthy life. I am a big fan of breakfast.
  • Amy_B
    Amy_B Posts: 2,323 Member
    Options
    I get up at 4am (usually) to workout, so there's not time to eat before my workout. I don't think there's a right or wrong way to do it, but you do need to eat at some point in the morning to fuel or refuel your body.
  • KatFierce
    KatFierce Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    I would eat a bar of some sort, or make a fruit smoothie with a little protein powder for before your workout, then shortly after eat a real breakfast like some eggs, or oatmeal, greek yogurt with fruit and granola or nuts.
    Your breakfast doesnt have to be big, or even breakfasty-foods just something to "break the fast" that your body goes into over night. Itll really jump start your metabolism. I HIGHLY recommend a smoothie, I do strawberries, baby spinach, 1 banana and either 1/2 cup almond milk/soy milk or Naked brand green machine juice. I saw such an improvement in my weight loss, as well as my overall feeling after starting a smoothie every morning. I need to start them up again actually
  • NKF92879
    NKF92879 Posts: 601 Member
    Options
    I don't eat anything before I workout in the A.M.. I get up at 5, workout, then I either make a smoothie (1% milk, nonfat Greek yogurt, frozen fruit, vanilla protein powder) or eat a bowl of cereal or some eggs and toast. It's been working for me, but everyone's different.
  • joseph9
    joseph9 Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    IMHO, the best thing to do is try it both ways and log how you feel over time. Some people say that you get more intensity if you eat a banana or something before your workout, some people say you get better results if you eat some protein afterward, but the real question is how do you personally do best.

I work out first thing in the morning, then try to get some protein within an hour or so. I tried eating before my workouts, but didn't see any boost.
  • Fieldsy
    Fieldsy Posts: 1,105 Member
    Options
    If its cardio I just eat afterwards, but if I am lifting I usually have a shake before or during my workout

try different ways and see what you like more....everyone is different and you are going to get mixed answers