Question about calories during dinner.

Options
Hey everyone!
So I've decided to up my cals from 1,200 to about 1,400. Right now, my meals all average about 350-375 calories(dinner is usually a little less, like 300-325. I heard that eating a light dinner is better for weight loss) and two snacks per day. But I was thinking of changing each meal to about 450 calories with no snacks. Including dinner.
So my question to you....:)
1. Is it true that eating a large, possibly carbilicious dinner and going to sleep soon after leads to weight gain? Should I try to eat a light dinner? Or just eat 450 cals like i will be doing for b-fast and lunch?

Thanks to everyone!~

Replies

• SueGremlin
    SueGremlin Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    I usually try to save at least 800 calories for dinner because that's when I am the hungriest. If I am hungry after I eat a measly small dinner, it makes it much harder for me to stick with the calorie limits of the day.
    It has been working great for me as I am 27 lbs down since June and it's been essentially effortless.
  • kmbrooks15
    kmbrooks15 Posts: 941 Member
    Options
    There was a whole thread that had this discussion about whether you should eat after 8 PM. There were as many opinions as there were people.

Personally, I have not found that eating a larger dinner is a problem. I even have a small, 100 calorie snack at bedtime. It helps me not be ravenous the next morning. I'm of the opinion that as long as your total caloric intake is a deficit, you'll lose weight. Your body does not shut down at night...you are still burning calories even while you sleep. Not as many as when you're up and moving about, but still burning nonetheless.

You may need to experiment and find what works for you. Everyone's body is different. Good luck!
  • E_Cee83
    E_Cee83 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    the best way to lose weight in my opinion is to eat 5-6 small meals a day consisting of around 340cal for Breakfast, lunch and tea and around 170 for mid morning, afternoon and even snacks.
    I usually have 20-30gm of carbs AND protein with each main meal (adding 1 cup of some veg to lunch and dinner) and 10gm of carbs and protein for snacks. i also have around 3 litres of water too.
    I also suggest have salmon 3 times a weeks or a tablespoon of avocado everday for essential fats.
    this seems to work wonders for me but usually on a 12 week style plan.

so to answer your question, i wouldnt carb load at dinner time, definately not. i would suggest the lighter meal at night time if you were going to up your calorie intake....

Hope this helps....
  • servilia
    servilia Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    I save most of my calories for dinner and as far as I know it hasn't hindered my weight loss.. but if you can do with a light dinner (I almost never can, I love eating at night), then you might as well try it. It really doesn't matter when you eat your calories throughout the day, it's the overall deficit that counts. So if you have a daily goal of 1200 cals just for example, it doesn't matter if you eat 4 meals of 300 cals or 2 meals at 600 cals. All that stuff about eating light at night is a myth.
  • deathstarclock
    deathstarclock Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    Weight gain = Calories in > Calories out
  • KC4800
    KC4800 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I think you're going to get as many answers as there are people. What ever works for you is my guess. Try the change and see how your body responds. You could always go back.
  • limismith
    limismith Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Ideally you should always eat smaller meals at the end of the day. The reason is you are about to sleep and will be less active, whereas when you wake up you have not eaten for several hours and need to start your gears again - metabolism, blood sugar, everything benefits by a hearty breakfast.

Lots of people struggle with being hungry at the end of the day, or snacky. I am a big believer that you can train your body to change some habits, so just try something and see if it works for you after a few days,

I would never consider an 800 calorie dinner to be a normal healthy routine, but everyone has to make their own decisions. Hope you find your happy balance!
  • MsALMill
    MsALMill Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I don't know what a doctor's or nutritionists answer would be but what I do know is from my own experience. I have constantly been eating small breakfasts (too much then makes me sick), a mid size lunch, a large dinner and then a snack before bed (normally a weight watchers ice cream cup and skinny cow candy) and I've consistently lost. Since May with this type of eating schedule for most days I've lost 57 pounds.
  • russellma
    russellma Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    Do what works best for you.

When I started, I tried the bigger breakfast and smaller lunch and dinner with snacks. I did lose, but I didn't enjoy it.

Now, I save most of my calories for the evening when I can enjoy them with my family. (Some days I eat more than 1000 calories in the evening!) I'm losing weight more consistently and it's something I can sustain forever.
  • strongnotskinny121
    strongnotskinny121 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    Try it for a few weeks and see if it speeds or slows down your weight loss. For me personally, my largest calorie intake is supper. I am a bad nighttime eater. I am slowly breaking that habit, but I've still been losing weight, a little faster than what is considered "healthy." (I've lost 10lbs in 4 weeks, more than the recommended max of 2 lbs/weeks.) But I have noticed, if I eat a larger breakfast, I'm not as hungry ALL day.
    None of this is an exact science, we aren't doctors, scientist, or nutritionist, and unless your willing to pay the money, just try different combos and see what works. Yes, it will be a slower process but YOU are the best gauge of what works and doesn't. Go by how you feel.