depression and weight loss - specific question

Options
hi everyone. i know there have been a thousands topics about this but i have a specific question.

for some background, i have suffered from depression for about 5 years now. currently on medication (Pristiq 100mg) that has really seemed to help. i also exercise 4-5 times a week and that helps TONS. however, since it's been getting colder, grayer, rainier here (boo Ohio) i have felt completely unmotivated and exhausted - it hit me like a brick last weekend. things are always worse in the winter for me....i love the sunshine!

with that being said, my therapist has recommended that i try a light box to help. has anyone tried this and noticed that it's made a difference? i don't want the winter to stall my weight loss efforts due to my lack of motivation. exercising has done wonders for my mood and i don't want to just come home and crawl under the blankets when i get home from work daily.

Replies

• carebear7951
    carebear7951 Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    I would definitely say it's worth a try! I think it sounds a little like SAD (Seasonal Affective Disorder) added to your depression. I actually suffer from it in the summer where I live (South Texas) because the heat and sun are so incessant! Go for the light box and keep up your exercise! You can do it!!! Depression is so hard, but you can power through this with some help. :) (btw I am on meds too, for true depression-post-partum)
  • kimber_av
    Options
    I personally have not tried it (live in the sunny south..)
    Butttt I have MANY friends up north. my professor used it when she lived in NH. She hasn't been diagnosed with depression but suspects she has seasonal depression.
    Give it a shot! can't hurt to try!

Best of luck.

and remember- the weather only bothers you if YOU let it. Keep a smile on that face.
  • Larius
    Larius Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    Have you heard of SAD? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seasonal_affective_disorder

Vitamin D3 2000 i.u. daily helps me. Without sunlight your body cannot make Vitamin D.
  • rosied915
    rosied915 Posts: 799 Member
    Options
    Light therapy has gotten some pretty positive reviews~ why not give it a try and see if it helps? Remember to follow any safety rules to protect your eyes and skin.

Do you, by any chance, have access to a Yoga class? A nice, gentle Yoga class can also lift your spirits and help you to feel better and more accepting about your body as well as calm your mind.

And GREAT JOB on your effort so far!!
  • deathstarclock
    deathstarclock Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    What's a lightbox? Wikipedia did a fantastic job of explaining it to me.
  • susanofscottsdale
    Options
    You have learned important things - exercise is helpful. Join a gym. I resisted for years, but am now hooked. Find one that suits your style, personality, budget and values. For me it is a local Y. I was shocked by how much I enjoy it. Like you, I feel myself sliding down into a hole when I lack exercise.

Lightboxes can be very helpful to those who need them. I have a friend who has used natural and lightbox light very effectively for years to manage her depression.

Good luck!
  • calliope_music
    calliope_music Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options
    yes, i probably have a touch of SAD on top of my depression. i honestly don't know if it's a separate disorder since i've already been diagnosed with depression (and i should know this, i'm a therapist...haha)

and Vitamin D is a great idea too, i forgot about that. thank you!
  • calliope_music
    Options
    What's a lightbox? Wikipedia did a fantastic job of explaining it to me.

a light box basically mimics the sun - here's a good link.

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/light-therapy/MY00195
  • calliope_music
    Options
    yep, i generally work out at the gym. it's also a very positive environment (everyone is friendly, willing to help, etc) so that is also helpful for me.
  • icemaiden17_uk
    icemaiden17_uk Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    I dont know if this helps but there is a real condition called the winter blues. It is something to do with the way the lack of light affects us emotionally. Try looking this up on the web. www.nhs.uk has some good info on it, or they did last year anyway! There should be some info about the light box on there as well!

Sorry! SAD is the official name of the winter blues!!
  • calliope_music
    Options
    yes! my gym offers yoga a few times a week. i have found one that i really like - it's called Yoga for Stress Relief and it's very gentle and soothing. there's also a few more intense ones, which i do enjoy, but this is my favorite (and it's on Sunday...perfect way to start off the work week!)
  • RunningMyButtOff
    RunningMyButtOff Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I use a light box/alarm clock. Instead of a loud annoying nice, it slowly brightens to mimic the sunrise. It is a totally different way of waking up in the winter, it gets me out of bed, and ready to workout for the day. I've used it for a few years, and i love it. It's not as effective in the summer months because the regular sunrise wakes me...but I too get in a funk in the winter, and this seems to have helped a lot.

My other tip to you, is that once you are awake, turn on all the lights in your house.

Here's a link to the alarm clock, but they have the light boxes on there as well.

Please note: If you are prone to mania/bipolar disorder, DO NOT USE THIS! It can trigger a manic episode. But if you're just depressed, it can elevate your mood.

http://www.biobrite.com/products.php?category_id=1&PHPSESSID=57800b41278f097fbee1ff745173b7e5
  • 1953Judith
    1953Judith Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    I live up north. I bought one several years ago when I worked in a windowless office environment. It was sitting in the basement for a few years. About a month ago, my husband brough it up and asked me to use it at work (possibly I was coming home crabby). I run it for 30 minutes a day when I first get in to work in the morning (I get in early). It's been a month and people still stop to comment, joke and ask about it. I don't know whether it is the extra laughing in the morning or the light, but I can say that I don't notice the days I use it, but I am noticeably crabbier when I get home on the days I don't. Also, note that technically you are supposed to turn it on for 20 minutes to half hour before you even get out of bed in the morning. THAT never worked.
  • ajbeans
    ajbeans Posts: 2,857 Member
    Options
    I have not used a light box, but my sister has and had great results. Personally, I get good enough results by taking a daily vitamin D supplement. I take 2000 IU during the sunny months, and 4000 IU during the winter months. *Most* people can't overdose on vitamin D, but just to be safe, talk to your doctor to see how much you should take.
  • czechsmate
    czechsmate Posts: 556 Member
    Options
    I used to suffer from the same thing when I lived in Maine...winters are so long and most days you went to work in the dark and came home in the dark. I too suffered from depression (still do every now and again) and find when I am getting exercise it helps tremendously! This was years ago and I didn't know about light boxes then but found going to a tanning bed/booth (I know, not the healthiest) at least once or twice a week was helpful. I am sure the lightbox is much healthier!
  • calliope_music
    Options
    I use a light box/alarm clock. Instead of a loud annoying nice, it slowly brightens to mimic the sunrise. It is a totally different way of waking up in the winter, it gets me out of bed, and ready to workout for the day. I've used it for a few years, and i love it. It's not as effective in the summer months because the regular sunrise wakes me...but I too get in a funk in the winter, and this seems to have helped a lot.

My other tip to you, is that once you are awake, turn on all the lights in your house.

Here's a link to the alarm clock, but they have the light boxes on there as well.

Please note: If you are prone to mania/bipolar disorder, DO NOT USE THIS! It can trigger a manic episode. But if you're just depressed, it can elevate your mood.

http://www.biobrite.com/products.php?category_id=1&PHPSESSID=57800b41278f097fbee1ff745173b7e5

thanks for the link! unfortunately i doubt the alarm clock would wake me, it takes an act of god to get me out of bed in the morning, even in the summer...and my husband is bipolar, so i certainly don't want to trigger him. i noticed the link has other categories too though so i will poke around and see what's there!
  • calliope_music
    Options
    I live up north. I bought one several years ago when I worked in a windowless office environment. It was sitting in the basement for a few years. About a month ago, my husband brough it up and asked me to use it at work (possibly I was coming home crabby). I run it for 30 minutes a day when I first get in to work in the morning (I get in early). It's been a month and people still stop to comment, joke and ask about it. I don't know whether it is the extra laughing in the morning or the light, but I can say that I don't notice the days I use it, but I am noticeably crabbier when I get home on the days I don't. Also, note that technically you are supposed to turn it on for 20 minutes to half hour before you even get out of bed in the morning. THAT never worked.

yep, i work in a windowless office as well...bah.
  • calliope_music
    Options
    I used to suffer from the same thing when I lived in Maine...winters are so long and most days you went to work in the dark and came home in the dark. I too suffered from depression (still do every now and again) and find when I am getting exercise it helps tremendously! This was years ago and I didn't know about light boxes then but found going to a tanning bed/booth (I know, not the healthiest) at least once or twice a week was helpful. I am sure the lightbox is much healthier!

i used to live in Maine too! (up in the County...haha). my therapist also said tanning would work too, but suggested the light box since it's healthier...although i'm not opposed to tanning either.
  • Gee45
    Gee45 Posts: 171
    Options
    Until you get your light, try some candles. I light some in the morning and then again in the evening. I love my candles. :)
  • ❤B☩❤
    Options
    I love all these suggestions. I live in NH, where we are expecting our first big snowstorm this afternoon, and I am already dreading how it makes me feel (for the next 7 +/- months!)

Good luck with this, and GREAT JOB on your successes to date! :glasses: