sororities/fraternities?

Options
calliope_music
calliope_music Posts: 1,242 Member
just wondering, who here joined a sorority or fraternity in college?

Kappa Kappa Gamma here :)

Replies

• anhaab
    anhaab Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Alpha Chi Omega here!
  • SkateboardFi
    SkateboardFi Posts: 1,322 Member
    Options
    Alpha Phi Omega here :)
  • Alpha Xi Delta here!!
  • dmpizza
    dmpizza Posts: 3,321 Member
    Options
    I turned it down, only to discover later that they had copies of old tests. You would of thought my older brother would have told me that.
  • pain_is_weakness
    pain_is_weakness Posts: 798 Member
    Options
    Lamda Alpha Epsilon-Criminal justice fraternity

and

Phi Theta Kappa
  • court182
    court182 Posts: 307
    Options
    Phi Mu Proud!!!!
  • SkateboardFi
    Options
    i hate to see this topic neglected. what made you guys pledge in general? and what made you choose your organization in particular? what was your process like?
  • godblessourhome
    godblessourhome Posts: 3,892 Member
    Options
    chi omega!
  • calliope_music
    calliope_music Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options
    i hate to see this topic neglected. what made you guys pledge in general? and what made you choose your organization in particular? what was your process like?

i was totally anti-Greek life my freshman year of college, but after being on campus and seeing how many friendships the other girls my age were making and how...well, fun it seemed, i decided to give it a try. i also TA'd with a girl in the chapter i ended up joining and loved her and she had such positive things to say about the organization. i didn't go through formal recruitment but went to the events that the chapter i ended up joining put on...i immediately felt comfortable with all of them and decided that was it, i was going to pledge them if they wanted me (and they did, yay!). the Kappas on my campus were known as classy, smart, fun, and philanthropic, which is what i wanted.

now i'm an adviser for the Kappa chapter near my house and am active in the alumnae association. i love my sisters!
  • SkateboardFi
    Options
    i've never been anti-greek. i've been anti-hazing, but never anti-greek. my first semester at lsu was august 2005...literally a week before katrina struck. i didn't know anyone, and had just transferred from tuskegee so i'd already heard of alpha phi omega. although at tuskegee the alpha phi omega chapter was all male (a phi o is a co-ed fraternity), lsu had a co-ed chapter. i did my research on the frat, saw all of the service projects they did on my campus and ended up going to an orientation. because of katrina, a lot of new orleans students ended up at our school, and that's how i ended up with my line brothers. we had to go through a 10 week pledging process in addition to the political unrest at lsu at the time, as WELL as the chaos known as katrina, and although BOTH of my line brothers went back to new orleans after they opened up the colleges again, we are all still close to this day because we went through the fraternity process together, as well as counted on one another during a time of disaster and racism. i wouldn't trade my experience for the world, and have served as vice president for the frat as well as still keeping up with my chapter to this day even though i'm 7 hours away. i've met some of my closest friends through this frat and am very proud of the woman it has made me today and how active my chapter still is at lsu.
  • rc630
    rc630 Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    Sigma Delta Tau!
  • juliecat1
    juliecat1 Posts: 3,455 Member
    Options
    Delta Zeta!
  • MFPAddict
    MFPAddict Posts: 2,303 Member
    Options
    Lamda Lamda Lamda

nerds.gif
  • CeloTX
    CeloTX Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Sigma Tau Gamma
  • SkateboardFi
    Options
    Lamda Lamda Lamda

nerds.gif

Lamda lamda lamda annnnnd omega muuuuu
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options
    After watching old school I began the process of creating my own fraternity, Omega Theta Theta Tau (WOOT). I got about half-way through and then the school started asking for money and I decided I couldn't afford the joke. I did make some tshirts though.
  • htimpaired
    htimpaired Posts: 1,404 Member
    Options
    I was in a sorority in college-pledged my sophomore year. Don't really keep up with them now that I'm 11 years post-grad, but we do occasionally touch base on facebook. I know others got really close with their sorority sisters, I do miss some of it...good stories, that's for sure!
  • nothingisred
    Options
    I'm British and we don't have sororities/fraternites over here. I always hear them mentioned on TV shows and obviously I realise it's something you guys do when you go to uni, but I have absolutely no idea what they actually are. Could someone please enlighten me? I have always wondered.
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options
    I'm British and we don't have sororities/fraternites over here. I always hear them mentioned on TV shows and obviously I realise it's something you guys do when you go to uni, but I have absolutely no idea what they actually are. Could someone please enlighten me? I have always wondered.

It varies wildly, but the core concept is an organized community (or brotherhood/sisterhood) of people. At it's best, it's an environment that fosters a growth of character and gives its members opportunities after college via networking that they might not otherwise have had. Beyond career opportunities it gives you a connection after college, something that you represent, some common ground that you hold between all of your other fraternity brothers or sorority sisters.

At it's worst it's a bunch of wild parties, drug use, and casual sex. Some would argue that I should swap 'best' and 'worst' in those two definitions.
  • _Timmeh_
    _Timmeh_ Posts: 2,096 Member
    Options
    Nope. I just showed up to drink the free beer.