Diet Sodas

Options
Can someone PLEASE get it through my thick head how diet sodas are bad for you?!?! Geez, you would think I would stop drinking it by now especially cause I am working my butt off recently with exercising. Does anyone else struggle like me? It's like I know it in my brain, but I do not change. Can anything be worse than that?

Replies

• Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    'Um, I drink diet sodas. I don't feel bad about it either....
  • Donners185
    Donners185 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    I know i shouldn't drink them either, but i still do. I have managed to cut it down to one or two 500ml bottles a week. Its hard, i really love it.
  • twerps4jesusjo
    twerps4jesusjo Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I hate regular sodas so when I do have a soda, I drink diet. I only have 2 - 3 a week usually. I have completely changed my way of thinking and I look at portion control more than anything.
  • kjaull
    kjaull Posts: 8
    Options
    Keep at it. It took me a long time to change that habit. I feel so much better w/o the soda. It really seemed to spike my appetite. I just could not drink one once in a while. I drank it day and night for years.
  • stillkidsmom4
    Options
    When you figure out how to get it thru to you then plz let me know how you did it because I am addicted to Dt MT Dews
  • 1myfit
    1myfit Posts: 69
    Options
    I have 1-2 week. Not cuz it's bad but I'm not a big soda person. But I switched to 0 cal soda and they are great. I haven't heard anyone say it's bad for you.
  • aimsnz2011
    Options
    Its not the calories you need to worry about as there isn't any in diet sodas however it is the food coloring and fake sweetner that they add to the drink.Read Jillian Michaels Master your metabolism , she explains why these things that don't have calories are bad for your health.

I have stopped drinking diet sodas and feel heaps better for it.Try drinking ice cold water instead its so much better(fyi i hated water when i started)

Hope that helps she sure has helped me loose weight and feel healthier.

Aims
  • azzacca
    azzacca Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    The carbonation also leeches calcium from your bones.
  • LabRat529
    LabRat529 Posts: 1,323 Member
    Options
    I don't really think diet sodas are bad for you either. Ehhh... they have carbonation and many have caffeine which can cause problems if you're prone to acid stomach and/or anxiety.

Some people believe that the aspartame is bad for you. You can get soda's with splenda if you prefer, though some people say that's bad for you too. I'm not convinced there's enough scientific evidence to suggest either of those substances cause a problem.

Then there's the issue of aspartame supposedly causing a spike in insulin. Insulin can trigger fat storage, but again, I'm not convinced there's enough scientific evidence to support this idea.

And lastly, there's this idea that the sweet flavor of diet sodas can cause you to crave more sweet things... to that, I say, 'maybe'.

All and all, I'm of the opinion that diet soda is not a bugaboo for dieting. Drink it if you like it and worry about something worth worrying about.
  • get_fit2009
    get_fit2009 Posts: 827 Member
    Options
    IF you only have one a day - no biggie. Have it and enjoy.:drinker: IF you drink 'em all day long - yeah, try to cut down. They are full of chemicals. In small amounts, they won't do any harm. But common sense says if you pour chemicals into your body ALL DAY LONG, no matter what the company markets, it cannot possibly be good for you over time. :sick: (IMHO)
  • ryvenna
    ryvenna Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    in medical neuroscience, they taught us that the insulin spike does indeed cause you to store more fat-- which is why it undermines your dieting. just let diet sodas go... if you don't drink it for 2 wks, you'll most likely stop craving it. :]
  • DanceForever904
    DanceForever904 Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    'Um, I drink diet sodas. I don't feel bad about it either....

same here n i def dont feel bad about it it doesnt hinder my weight loss at all....
  • 1FitBabe
    1FitBabe Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I switched from diet soda to plain iced tea. The grocery store iced tea usually has a lot of junk in it, so I make my own. I bought an iced tea maker, and I make a fresh pot every couple days. I use a combination of decaf and regular tea bags.
  • get_fit2009
    get_fit2009 Posts: 827 Member
    Options
    I switched from diet soda to plain iced tea. The grocery store iced tea usually has a lot of junk in it, so I make my own. I bought an iced tea maker, and I make a fresh pot every couple days. I use a combination of decaf and regular tea bags.

That sounds yummy! And it makes me miss summer time. I love iced tea in the summer time.
  • LabRat529
    LabRat529 Posts: 1,323 Member
    Options
    The carbonation also leeches calcium from your bones.

No it doesn't. It might MIGHT leech calcium from your teeth... but your bones? I'm not aware of anything scientific to support that claim.

It's not like the soda goes straight from your mouth to your blood stream. By the time it's absorbed by your gut, it's just a bunch of chemicals and water. The carbonation won't make it past your stomach.

Of course, if you can back up your claim with several good scientific articles, then you'll have my apology for doubting you.
  • Kermit1976
    Options
    I only drink water and zero coke so if i dropped my zero coke i would not drink anything but water and that would get kinda boring.. I also found that when i stop drinking it cause i dont have any other kinds of caffiene in my body i get sick... so i have 1-2 cups of zero coke a day and i dont feel guilty at all...
  • christybrooker
    Options
    Google aspartame. I dumped out my last soda with aspartame in it after reading about two articles about it. I haven't had a diet soda since. I also just found out my Light and Fit yogurt has aspartame in it and I won't eat that now either. Soda is horrible for you all around. There is not one thing that soda does for you except cure a craving. There is no nutritional benefits to it.
  • 1FitBabe
    1FitBabe Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I usually drink green iced tea, but in the winter I will sometimes add a bag or two of cinnamon to zest it up. Delish!
  • Kotasmommy
    Kotasmommy Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    People like to believe that sweeteners are a lot worse for you than they really are. There are A LOT of myths out there. There is no real proof that aspartame and other artificial sweeteners cause cancer or diseases. Most things you'll find online about it that are bad are people's blogs and opinions. If you want to drink it drink it. I do everyday.
  • funkycamper
    funkycamper Posts: 998 Member
    Options
    I love Diet Coke. However, I do think it's healthier to drink more water so I'm really working on keeping my water intake up. Because of that, I only drink 2-4 cans of Diet Coke per week when I used to drink that much per day. I have not noticed any difference in weight loss or cravings. I really can't say I feel better drinking more water but I do think it is better for my kidneys. I have clear pee whether I'm drinking Diet Coke or water so I'm also not sure that it makes a difference on my body's hydration level. I guess, to me, the evidence isn't there that diet sodas are all that damaging to you but, on the other hand, chemicals aren't good for you either. Everything in moderation, right?

So I will drink my occasional Diet Coke with pure enjoyment and no guilt. It definitely does not make me crave sweets. In fact, it satiates my sweet craving if I'm having one. That's normally why I drink one. YMMV.