Should you have influence as far as you kids wardrobe?

Options
Iamfit4life
Iamfit4life Posts: 3,095 Member
Or should you just let them be themselves?

Myself I had dreams of two perfect well dressed children. And I find the older they get, the more and more they want to pick what they wear and be little individuals. Sometimes the results are interesting to say the least but I let it go.

So right now.. I bite my tongue when my son wants to wear a cars shirt over an iron man shirt, pants that don't match and flip flops.

I bite my tongue when my daughter puts together a crazy outfit, and tops it off with an interesting side ponytail.

I think it's so important for them to be individual. So as long as pictures aren't being taken, I let them be them. Hoping this helps them continue to be confident little people.

Replies

• prettytothinkso
    Options
    As long as the clothes are clean and age appropriate my kids can dress however they want.
  • bear_nakey
    bear_nakey Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    My theory: as long as they are clean, and appropriate (no excessive skin, otherwise hidden body parts exposed), then I am totally fine with the self expression. On a different note, my three year old likes to pick out his clothes, so I choose three outfits ( bottoms, tops) that will match in any combination, then let him pick from those. I'm happy he matches, and he is happy he gets to be independent. My 12 year old does pretty dern good for her age, although I question some of the color combinations, etc. . . Good luck!
  • Bonny272
    Bonny272 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    As long as they are modest and dressed for the weather I don't meddle too much. Depending on how crazy they get.
  • Iamfit4life
    Options
    It's pretty easy now, I imagine it will get harder when they are older. Especially with the daughter.
  • leynak
    leynak Posts: 963 Member
    Options
    My girls are 4 & 6. Most of the time I let them pick whatever they want and I have to approve it. Sometimes my 4 year old want to wear shorts when it's too cold or something but other than that I think they don't do too bad matching stuff. I don't really care if it's mismatched. I think letting them find their individuality is important.

* I can not describe how nervous I am for when they do get older though...haha...the 6 yr old already has a bit of a 'tude every now & then...
  • SergeantSunshine_reused
    Options
    I used to dress myself. I wore big baggy shirts with polka dot spandex.... so many pictures... so embarrassing! xD

I wish my mom would have helped me out a little lol
  • JulieSD
    JulieSD Posts: 567
    Options
    I let my children wear what they want to with in reason. If I really have a strong hate for something in their wardrobe then I'll throw it away while doing the laundry.

But generally I let them wear what they want to wear and call them creative children learning to express themselves.

Piper often wears jeans under skirts, or pants under jean skirts. She will not wear tank tops and she admits that its because they feel funny under her arm pits but will come home from school (even in the winter months) and put on her bathing suit to play.

Sofie is given 3 or 4 sets of clothes that she is allowed to mix and match and change as often as she wants for a few days, then to the laundry they go. Her favorite way to dress is jeans, t-shirt and a dress over it, be it dress up dress or real dress. She is a fancy princess and will dress as such.

They have left the house wearing some crazy things that make me shudder but as Pipers teacher said last year, "as long as they are clean and warm why bother'...learn to pick your battles.

I should ad that they do match their clothes, they have melt downs if they feel they don't match.
  • koosdel
    koosdel Posts: 3,317 Member
    Options
    It's pretty easy now, I imagine it will get harder when they are older. Especially with the daughter.

Why would you think that?
  • AZTrailRunner
    AZTrailRunner Posts: 1,199 Member
    Options
    Parents should be a part of the clothing purchase. That's a part of being a parent, helping your kids make the right decisions. How they choose to coordinate with the clothes you helped pick out can be left up to them. Too many parents these days sit on the sidelines and let their kids make far too many choices.... wrong choices too.
  • russellma
    russellma Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    My girls are free to choose their own clothes, BUT

1) they have to match. That's the way they learn. If it doesn't match, I send them back to the drawing board and let them choose something else.

2) The outfit needs to be appropriate for the occasion. If we're going to church, it needs to be dressy and tidy. If it's a play event, then they need to choose accordingly and not come out with something that shouldn't be worn to roll around on the ground.

I think it lets them learn what's appropriate and respectable and still have control over the other variables.
  • Brady_
    Brady_ Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I think you are doing the right thing by letting them be themselves, at their age dressing themselves must be fun! of course they aren't going to know what looks cute adn what doesnt haha. But they will grow out of it i'm sure as they get older.

What if you gave them a tiny little .. "what matches and what doesnt" lesson and make it fun? and or you can bond with your daughter by teaching her how to do different styles with her hair in a fun way!

There are appropriate ways you can take to lead them in the right direction without over bearing their individuality, but at this age, let them have fun with it too which you are doing =)
  • Jeepinmom4
    Jeepinmom4 Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    My 10yr old does 100% by herself,she knows what id disaprove of,and lol she loves the stupid side pony thing!...my 7yr old gets to pick from 3 diffrent shirts then she picks her pants(as long as they match). She's the kid that would wear polkadot pants with a striped shirt if I let her lol...my other 2 I dress,but there only 3 and 2 :)
  • skierxjes
    skierxjes Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    I wish I had more help form my mom as a kid. I'm 21 and still don't match half of the time because I think it does, but it really doesn't. :/
  • Iamfit4life
    Options

Why would you think that?

Well teenage girls sometimes do want to wear pretty revealing clothes.

Hopefully she won't be one of those, and a new "grunge" baggy clothes style will be around. lol
  • tmarie2715
    tmarie2715 Posts: 1,111 Member
    Options
    Or should you just let them be themselves?

Myself I had dreams of two perfect well dressed children. And I find the older they get, the more and more they want to pick what they wear and be little individuals. Sometimes the results are interesting to say the least but I let it go.

So right now.. I bite my tongue when my son wants to wear a cars shirt over an iron man shirt, pants that don't match and flip flops.

I bite my tongue when my daughter puts together a crazy outfit, and tops it off with an interesting side ponytail.

I think it's so important for them to be individual. So as long as pictures aren't being taken, I let them be them. Hoping this helps them continue to be confident little people.

LOL @ your son's outfit. Mine is still so young he doesn't care, but I do worry about the days when he does. Thank you so much for posting this and reminding us that they already have little control over their lives, so outfits should not be a power struggle.
  • vaderandbill
    vaderandbill Posts: 1,063 Member
    Options
    My 6 year old son goes to Catholic school so his daytime wardrobe is his uniform. Typically I have the 3 year old's clothes ready before he is even awake. If we're not going anywhere important then they can choose.
  • lor007
    lor007 Posts: 884 Member
    Options
    I let my daughter pick out her own clothes. She is two years old. It is fun!
  • lor007
    Options
    I wish I had more help form my mom as a kid. I'm 21 and still don't match half of the time because I think it does, but it really doesn't. :/

How do you know it doesn't match?
  • lor007
    Options

How do you know it doesn't match?
  • rockerbabyy
    rockerbabyy Posts: 2,258 Member
    Options
    i pretty much let my girls pick their own outfits unless we're going somewhere super important, but even then i will let them pick from 2 or 3 "mom approved" outfits. as long as its weather appropriate i dont mind. theyre 4 and 5, btw heh so we get some interesting outfits. its not worth the fight for me