antidepressants or exercise...

Options
2»

Replies

• albinogorilla
    albinogorilla Posts: 1,056 Member
    Options
    in the past, about 15 years ago, i was on zoloft and prozac, not at the same time...........and i went to counseling 1-2 times per week. I started lifting heavy and that cured me. I got out all of my anger and aggression there. I have never even considered medication or therapy since. And i dont lift that frequently 2-3 times per week. But that worked for me. I took myself off the medication as well at that point.
  • Dauntlessness
    Dauntlessness Posts: 1,489 Member
    Options
    I have been on antidepressants for most of my life really. I can tell you exercise has done more for me then it ever has. :)
  • brittanyjeanxo
    brittanyjeanxo Posts: 1,831 Member
    Options
    I disagree that antidepressants make you gain weight. I'm sure some of them CAN, but if you're combining it with exercise it's highly unlikely. For me, my Paxil actually kind of jump started my exercising and weight loss. I wouldn't choose just one or the other. If you don't need antidepressants, don't take them, but if you need them, don't just opt of them. Exercise can help with certain degrees of depression and anxiety, but if you need them, take them and combine it with exercise. :)

ETA I take Paxil for severe anxiety, and it causes horrible physical symptoms if I don't take them, and exercise is not exactly a treatment on its own for that.
  • mandasimba
    mandasimba Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    Antidepressants and therapy keep the physical symptoms at bay, but exercise is one of the few things that actually make me happy. I feel amazing afterwards... though as others have said, the hard part can be getting yourself to go when really down and out.
  • MusicKeepsMeSane
    Options
    I take zoloft mainly for my social anxiety and OCD. While exercising makes me feel better emotionally, it doesn't stop me from having a panic attack while being out in public. It doesn't help with my OCD either so both contribute to how I'm doing right now. Although I do have my days when I'm feeling down and have to force myself to get out to the gym to make myself feel a little better.