Sushi!

Options
I'm so proud of myself, I made sushi rolls tonight! Since we moved to the UK we haven't found any sushi comparable to what we used to eat (weekly) in California. I went to the shop tonight and they were selling sushi grade tuna so I became totally inspired! It took a lot longer than I had expected to prepare it but it was well worth it. Here is the finished product: 1) Salmon, scallion, asparagus roll. 2) shrimp, avocado roll. 3) Philadelphia roll. 4) Spicy tuna roll.

SAM_6363.jpg

Replies

• grrrlface
    grrrlface Posts: 1,204 Member
    Options
    Looks delicious! I love sushi! :)
  • quiksandy
    quiksandy Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Excellent. We love making home made sushi!
  • curvykent
    curvykent Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    YUM! That turned out great, and it was your first attempt?! You might need to open a sushi place out there!!

I could eat sushi everyday if I could afford it. I love sashimi and sushi. It's not a bad thing to love either :bigsmile:
  • rmartin72
    rmartin72 Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    My favorite I had some last night for dinner:flowerforyou: Thank you for sharing !!
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    That looks amazing! Well done!
  • dlaplume2
    dlaplume2 Posts: 1,658 Member
    Options
    That looks soooooo good. I am impressed.

Of course now I'm craving sushi.:grumble:
  • SparksFly460
    Options
    Oooo GREAT JOB. My bf & I are sushi fanatics. We may need to learn to make it at home....just last night we went out for a sushi dinner....85 dollars....and thats usually the average price for us. Its expensive....either way you did an amazing job!
  • Jade_Butterfly
    Jade_Butterfly Posts: 2,963 Member
    Options
    Ohhh you are so my idol right now. . They look really good. . I would love to learn how to make them. . .Yours look nice and neat. . I am sure that they tasted wonderful~!:bigsmile:
  • jooles0
    jooles0 Posts: 47
    Options
    They look great. I made sushi for the first time today too.
    YUMMY
  • nixickle
    nixickle Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    Yum yum! So what time did you say dinner was ;-) I love sushi and am also from the UK and know what you mean about there not being many places that sell it, it is something that is seriously lacking in this country! Perhaps you should open a restaurant ;-)

Enjoy your sushi!
  • sweets2001
    Options
    That looks really good! Have been craving sushi lately so may be time to get some :)
  • jennarandhayes
    jennarandhayes Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    Thanks, all! I just looked up a video about how to make sushi rolls on youtube and went from there. I think that key to keeping them together is a lot of water. Make sure that your surfaces have a bit of water on them and your hands/gloves are slightly wet when you start to roll. The water helps keep the rice sticky so that it doesn't fall apart. Also, be sure to dip your knife in water before cutting the roll. I found that I had way too many ingredients. You only need a small amount of each item to fill a roll (1/2 sheet nori, 4 ounces sushi rice, and about 1.5-2 ounces of fish per roll-depending on whether or not you have extras, ie avocado, asparagus, green onion, etc).