Zumba Calories

Options
I have been counting Zumba calories at about 200 calories burned for every 20 minutes of Zumba at a medium intensity. I am sure there will be differences based on intensity and weight...but does 200 cals per 20 minutes sound about right?
And would you count them all or just part of it?

Replies

• Dauntlessness
    Dauntlessness Posts: 1,489 Member
    Options
    The best bet is to get a heart rate monitor. You could be jipping yourself out of burned calories. :) I cant live without mine now. The machines at my gym are so far off it is not even funny. GL!
  • jend114
    jend114 Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    zumbacalories.com
  • tangerine6392
    tangerine6392 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    That's what I usually count it at. You can look up a zumba calorie burn calculator and get a better answer based on weight, or wear a heart rate monitor to get an accurate count. I'm not quite sure what you mean with your last question, but if you mean count all the calories, of course. If you did 20 minutes of Zumba, then say about 200 calories were burned; 40 minutes would be about 400 calories, and so on.
  • RagtimeLady
    RagtimeLady Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    10 calories per minute sounds about right for moderate effort. If you're really panting, you're probably up around 12-14 or more. Ditto the suggestion to get an HRM. Then if you can afford it, see if you can have a metabolic assessment done. I had a New Leaf assessment done and I now know exactly how many calories I burn in 3 different zones, and what my aerobic threshold was. I say was, because I've bumped it way up since July. I need to have it done again. But anyhow, an HRM is invaluable - I live by mine!
  • skierxjes
    skierxjes Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    zumbacalories.com

That site is way, WAY off.
  • therealangd
    therealangd Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    zumbacalories.com

I was going to suggest that too.

But yea, a heart rate monitor is best.
  • Missjulesdid
    Missjulesdid Posts: 1,444 Member
    Options
    Zumbacalories.com estimates the calories WAY WAY too high.

For an hour of Zumba at moderate intensity it estimates that I burn 1129.