eat this not that from oprah today

Options
Okay so I just watched Oprah today and she had teens on talking about their diet and what they eat. There was a man sorry don't remember his name he wrote a book Eat this not that! and I am going to have to go out and buy it now after watching that show. They had a poll with the audience and asked what was the better choice between some foods and frankly I was shocked.

mutigrain bagel with low fat cream cheese and glazed donut They said the donut

regular bacon and turkey bacon they said the regular bacon

Arbys roastbeef chedder melt and Arby's turkey and swiss sandwich they said the chedder melt

french fries and tator tots they said the tator tots

Pizza hut ham and pineapple pizza and Pizza Hut cheese pizza they said the ham and pineapple pizza

eggs and bacon and french toast they said the eggs and bacon

I was shocked mainly with the turkey and swiss sandwich and the cheddermelt they said that its because it was white bread and with the mayo and what ever else they put on. Then the turkey bacon I would think that it was the better option but they both regular and turkey bacon have the same calories and fat but the turkey bacon has more sodium so thats why the regular bacon was better for you. Then the mutigrain bagel they said that if you go for bagel or any bread for that matter to go for whole grain not mutigrain because the mutigrain still means that they have put white flour in which is not good. It really made me want to go and get the book. Just thought I would share have a nice day.

Replies

• jennlos
    jennlos Posts: 200
    Options
    Okay so I just watched Oprah today and she had teens on talking about their diet and what they eat. There was a man sorry don't remember his name he wrote a book Eat this not that! and I am going to have to go out and buy it now after watching that show. They had a poll with the audience and asked what was the better choice between some foods and frankly I was shocked.

mutigrain bagel with low fat cream cheese and glazed donut They said the donut

regular bacon and turkey bacon they said the regular bacon

Arbys roastbeef chedder melt and Arby's turkey and swiss sandwich they said the chedder melt

french fries and tator tots they said the tator tots

Pizza hut ham and pineapple pizza and Pizza Hut cheese pizza they said the ham and pineapple pizza

eggs and bacon and french toast they said the eggs and bacon

I was shocked mainly with the turkey and swiss sandwich and the cheddermelt they said that its because it was white bread and with the mayo and what ever else they put on. Then the turkey bacon I would think that it was the better option but they both regular and turkey bacon have the same calories and fat but the turkey bacon has more sodium so thats why the regular bacon was better for you. Then the mutigrain bagel they said that if you go for bagel or any bread for that matter to go for whole grain not mutigrain because the mutigrain still means that they have put white flour in which is not good. It really made me want to go and get the book. Just thought I would share have a nice day.
  • jennlos
    jennlos Posts: 200
    Options
    nevermind I adjusted it
  • Mangoaddict
    Mangoaddict Posts: 1,236 Member
    Options
    http://www.menshealth.com/eatthis/Best-Grocery-Foods/

This should help also. Its from the "eat this not that" link that was posted on "men's health" online. Check it out. Very useful list!
  • MrsCallas
    Options
    I am the Coordinator of School Health Services for my county and all I do is create and promote programs that better the health of students in our county. I send out weekly newsletters and I always include a place out of that book. They love it!! It is great! They have one for adults and children!
  • IUChelle423
    Options
    Then the mutigrain bagel they said that if you go for bagel or any bread for that matter to go for whole grain not mutigrain because the mutigrain still means that they have put white flour in which is not good. It really made me want to go and get the book. Just thought I would share have a nice day.
    So a glazed donut doesn't have white flour?
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    on the mens health link posted by Mango, you can sign up for a weekly "eat this not that" newsletter. BTW, Oprah picked out the most surprising choices- they are not all big shockers like that. But I was sooooo sad to see my favorite cereal on the "not that" list: Quaker 100% Natural Granola with raisins has more sugar in it than a bowl of Frosted Flakes. It was listed as THE WORST cereal in the supermarket. :sad: I love that stuff. :brokenheart:
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    Options
    Then the mutigrain bagel they said that if you go for bagel or any bread for that matter to go for whole grain not mutigrain because the mutigrain still means that they have put white flour in which is not good. It really made me want to go and get the book. Just thought I would share have a nice day.
    So a glazed donut doesn't have white flour?

it does, but they calorie value of a bagel (250 or more) plus the fat and cals in cream cheese (100 or more) makes it a much fattier and calorie-dense choice. a big bagel slathered in cream cheese could be 450-500 calories and a lot of those from fat. a glazed donut would be less calories. that's why it is the better choice between those two.

The way Eat This Not That works is that it picks one thing to compare: sugars, calories, trans fat, sodium-whatever. Then it tells you a similarly-satisfying food that would be lower for that one category that is being compared. So if you wanted pizza, they would tell you two same-ish pizzas, and tell you which one to choose based on its trans fat content, or sodium content, or whatever they are comparing. It's not the end-all be-all of food choices, but it does help highlight some foods that can be deceptive. Like my adored Natural Granola cereal. :frown:
  • Anna_Banana
    Anna_Banana Posts: 2,939 Member
    Options
    good info. I always get that arby melt sandwich 'cause I know it fits into my calorie count and they are so yummy.

Lucky Leprechaun, if you pick the raisins out of the cereal it would have less sugar in it. My one friend was always amazed that Raisin Bran was always so high in sugar
  • dewassel
    Options
    http://www.menshealth.com/eatthis/Best-Grocery-Foods/

This should help also. Its from the "eat this not that" link that was posted on "men's health" online. Check it out. Very useful list!

You can sign up for the eat this not that newsletter too! helpful for the Superbowl:drinker:
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    Options
    good info. I always get that arby melt sandwich 'cause I know it fits into my calorie count and they are so yummy.

Lucky Leprechaun, if you pick the raisins out of the cereal it would have less sugar in it. My one friend was always amazed that Raisin Bran was always so high in sugar

good idea! Before I knew this, I would always stir in dried cranberries too. :flowerforyou:
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,997 Member
    Options

good idea! Before I knew this, I would always stir in dried cranberries too. :flowerforyou:

Lucky, that used to be my fave cereal too. It has palm oil and coconut and other "fats" that make it really bad. Not just the sugars: of which raisins are but one of the offenders..... And the fruit is the least of your problem with that delicious cereal :laugh: