The incredible edible egg!

Options
Eve53
Eve53 Posts: 178 Member
Lately I've been cooking up a lot of egg whites for supper, and just tossing in whatever I have in the kitchen. It's become one of my favorite quick meals. So far I've made scrambles with mushrooms, onions, spinach, ham and of course cheese (not all at once but different combinations). So I was looking for new ideas! What's some things you like to scramble with your eggs? Or have in your omelets?

Also, does anyone have any ideas for what I can do with my egg yolks. I've searched the net and most of what I've found is recipes but obviously I'm taking them out because I don't want to eat them. I've heard of hair conditioner, but I really don't need to condition my hair. I hate to be wasteful, so please give me some suggestions if you've got them. I know I can buy per-seperated egg whites, but they are more expensive.

Replies

• elmsallmissile
    Options
    Why don't you want to eat them? they are so nutrient dense it's unreal!
  • jplucheck
    jplucheck Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    Lately I've been cooking up a lot of egg whites for supper, and just tossing in whatever I have in the kitchen. It's become one of my favorite quick meals. So far I've made scrambles with mushrooms, onions, spinach, ham and of course cheese (not all at once but different combinations). So I was looking for new ideas! What's some things you like to scramble with your eggs? Or have in your omelets?

Also, does anyone have any ideas for what I can do with my egg yolks. I've searched the net and most of what I've found is recipes but obviously I'm taking them out because I don't want to eat them. I've heard of hair conditioner, but I really don't need to condition my hair. I hate to be wasteful, so please give me some suggestions if you've got them. I know I can buy per-seperated egg whites, but they are more expensive.

My dogs love them and is great for their coats~!
  • Pandorian
    Pandorian Posts: 2,055 Member
    Options
    if you don't want to eat them yourself.... cook them up for your pets.. they'll love you... cat... dog anyway... I give any leftovers when my chickens are giving me more than I need to the pigs....
    But seriously, just eat them ;) it's "not" the problem that it was once thought they were (dietary cholesterol doesn't contribute to your blood serum as much as your OWN liver does)
  • Healthyby30
    Healthyby30 Posts: 1,349 Member
    Options
    Egg yolks are delicious! They are not BAD for you..the nutrients are all in the yolk!
  • luvinlaurakate
    luvinlaurakate Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I like diced tomato in my omelettes. Makes me wish I had some right now actually.
  • jplucheck
    jplucheck Posts: 275 Member
    Options

very high in cholesterol
  • bigjob
    bigjob Posts: 1
    Options
    Yes! Why don't you eat them? Before I started eating eggs every day, my cholesterol levels were through the roof. I started eating primal and I'm not kidding...I eat eggs (including the yolk) and have every day for a year now. My cholesterol levels are below normal and I feel better than I have in quite some time! They are very nutritious.
  • Debbe2
    Debbe2 Posts: 2,071 Member
    Options
    Just what I was going to say! LOL, my dogs love them too and sit at attention by my feet when I'm peeling an egg because they know the yolks are usually coming there way!
  • Healthyby30
    Options

very high in cholesterol

They do NOT raise your cholesterol....
  • luvinlaurakate
    luvinlaurakate Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    That is funny because it has always been my belief that eggs aren't as bad for you as they are made out to be. If I eat 2 eggs in a day it puts me over what this site says my daily cholesterol should be, but I don't care.
  • Oliya
    Oliya Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I get the egg whites all separated in a container. Found one at Target by chance recently that was well priced and good quality. It was All Whites- $3.99 for 32 oz and is equal to 20 eggs. Seems pretty comparable to the price of 2 dozen eggs and it not wasteful at all.
  • rockerbabyy
    rockerbabyy Posts: 2,258 Member
    Options
    i love egg yolk, couldnt live with out them lol my dietician told me i could eat 3 eggs a week and be good
  • ajbeans
    ajbeans Posts: 2,857 Member
    Options
    I get the egg whites all separated in a container. Found one at Target by chance recently that was well priced and good quality. It was All Whites- $3.99 for 32 oz and is equal to 20 eggs. Seems pretty comparable to the price of 2 dozen eggs and it not wasteful at all.

What do you think THEY did with the yolks?
  • gtunlimited
    gtunlimited Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    shes not eating them because the caloric difference between a whole egg and just egg white is about 75 calories compared to 20 for just the whites and if you're making an omelette with say 6 eggs thats 450 compared to 120-150ish. So you can make up some calories with the things you add to the omelette like chees and ham and not feel so guilty.
  • Bridget28152723
    Bridget28152723 Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    I love Eggs too! I only recently bought "egg whites" I really like them but when I run out I use whole eggs..If you are cooking for 1 they last awhile, i cant imagine throwing yolks away, I put a little cheese in mine and fold them over. I dont know what u could do with the yolks. Maybe get generic egg whites? I personally dont think whole eggs are that bad, unless your a bodybuilder or something, Your body will use the entire egg unlike some foods we eat , thats why they are called "the Incredible edible egg"-I love those commercials.
  • Tonnina
    Tonnina Posts: 979 Member
    Options
    I've added asparagus to my eggs before... frozen peas are supposed to be awesome in omelets... I eat my yolks because my eggs come from awesome chickens (My grandma's chickens!) so they are great tasting and great for you.
  • echeindl
    echeindl Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    I don't eat the egg yolks either. But I will usually make a scramble with 2 egg whites and 1 yolk and then add everything I can think of. Basically a 'kitchen sink', my favorite so far has been spinach, broccoli, jalapeno, onions, jennie o turkey bacon, and then of course the eggs! Tastes amazing. Then after its cooked I add some siracha and about half of a 1/4 cup of cheese
  • Healthyby30
    Options
    shes not eating them because the caloric difference between a whole egg and just egg white is about 75 calories compared to 20 for just the whites and if you're making an omelette with say 6 eggs thats 450 compared to 120-150ish. So you can make up some calories with the things you add to the omelette like chees and ham and not feel so guilty.

But if you used a whole egg, you wouldn't need 6 eggs...you can do it with 3 (that's a large omelet) and it be 210 calories, roughly.
  • Oliya
    Oliya Posts: 9 Member
    Options

What do you think THEY did with the yolks?

What do you do with the yolk and the shell?

The egg yolk is processed and packaged separately and is sold to Foodservice and Food Ingredient customers for use in the manufacturing of other foods. Examples include mayonnaise, salad dressings, baked products and ice cream. The shells are used as a natural fertilizer and provide a good source of minerals for the soil. They are also sold back to the animal feed industry where they are further cleaned and ground and then used as a good source of calcium and other minerals.

http://www.allwhiteseggwhites.com/faq/
  • jennyph2006
    jennyph2006 Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    brocolli (steamed first) that is all my 3 years old son want to eat.