Nothing makes you feel more like a failure....

So, I'm down 49.2 pounds and I went shopping today to find a new outfit for an upcoming wedding and the exact thing I was afraid of happened.....I came home with nothing. I couldn't find anything that I liked that fit the way I wanted. Anyone else ever have this happen? You are so proud of your success only to feel like a failure when you can't find clothes? Ugh!!

Replies

• hush7hush
    hush7hush Posts: 2,273 Member
    Yes! Especially when you're in between sizes. It happens.
  • glockster972
    glockster972 Posts: 704 Member
    Yes! Especially when you're in between sizes. It happens.

This is quite irritating.
  • fatgirlslove
    fatgirlslove Posts: 614 Member
    story of my life ...you'll get there!
  • bekkadillon
    bekkadillon Posts: 200 Member
    49.2 pounds? That's amazing!
    Don't overlook your success just because you can't find the perfect outfit.
    Keep up the great work!
  • KrzyRiver
    KrzyRiver Posts: 29 Member
    You gotta figure out what fits your new shape. When I lost 50lbs, I grabbed all the same style things I wore before. Didn't flatter me at all! I had to try a lot of different things out before I learned what worked with my new body. Don't get discouraged!
  • fridayjustleft04
    fridayjustleft04 Posts: 851 Member
    I feel like I live my entire life between jeans sizes. Don't beat yourself up. If you find something a little snug, but you like it, buy it! You can wear some shapewear until it fits properly.
  • netztoy
    netztoy Posts: 83 Member
    yes, that has happened to me...don't be too hard on yourself...you've accomplished a lot!!
  • littlesis412
    littlesis412 Posts: 314 Member
    Hun, this happens to all women at least once (or every time). I'm 20 years old, a fairly decent size, and have a love of fashion. But when it comes to going to the store and finding something for myself.... failure. I hate everything I try on, can't make outfits, and don't understand the clothes I see. But don't let it discourage you. I just say it wasn't meant to be that day and I'll find something better another day. Be proud of your success! Keep trying. And don't be embarrassed to ask an assistant for help.
  • How great that you've lost so many pounds so far. That's a victory I'm happy for you and I don't even know you. You have strength and determination which has gotten you to this point so far. Don't overlook that. Try clothes made by another designer look for something to wear in a shop you wouldn't typically go to. You are doing great!!
  • ajbeans
    ajbeans Posts: 2,857 Member
    You're looking at this the wrong way. YOU are doing an amazing job. The CLOTHES don't fit YOU. It's not the other way around. The problem is the clothing, not you.

I'll share a little secret with you: besides basic t-shirts and jeans, almost nobody finds something that fits them perfectly right off the rack. A lot of times we just deal with it, or we find a way to make it work by adding a belt or a brooch or a cardigan or whatever, or we have it tailored to fit better.

Take a deep breath and pamper yourself tonight. Then the next day you have time to shop, fix your hair, do your makeup, and grab a good friend and go shopping again. Find something that you love that is flattering, and if it doesn't work perfectly, think about how IT can be changed to work for you. A lot of dry-cleaning places will do tailoring for cheap. Go for it! :)
  • Krisengel
    Krisengel Posts: 161 Member
    Such a bummer! I had an issue with jeans today. They should make half sizes! Congrats on you weight loss, keep the good work. The right outfit will find you :smile:
  • mabug01
    mabug01 Posts: 1,273 Member
    Yes, it is disappointing. Try using a personal shopper or image consultant to find out what looks good on you now, if you can. Anyway, all of your friends and relatives will absolutely notice the 50 pound loss, even if you aren't feeling 'perfect-er' yet.
  • 0PhAtDaDdY
    0PhAtDaDdY Posts: 569 Member
    So, I'm down 49.2 pounds and I went shopping today to find a new outfit for an upcoming wedding and the exact thing I was afraid of happened.....I came home with nothing. I couldn't find anything that I liked that fit the way I wanted. Anyone else ever have this happen? You are so proud of your success only to feel like a failure when you can't find clothes? Ugh!!

Not sure how u can have down 49.2 pounds and failure in the same sentence, Congradulations!
  • 1st, congrats on you success! That is an amazing achievement. Sorry, the shopping trip was a bust. I am overly critical about how I look in anything, so I don't like shopping at all these days. I go, dont find anything , get depressed and want to come home and bake my sorrows away....That being said, I have gotten a lot better and giving away baked goods rather than eating them :)
    The last time I had a "successful" shopping trip, I took along someone supportive who was honest about how I looked in the clothes I was trying on, but also helped me find some things that ended up making me feel better. Maybe that would help to take somone along. Not only did I find some things I liked, but the trip I was kinda dreading was a lot more enjoyable thanks to the extra encouragement.
  • Kimbie500
    Kimbie500 Posts: 388 Member
    You're looking at this the wrong way. YOU are doing an amazing job. The CLOTHES don't fit YOU. It's not the other way around. The problem is the clothing, not you.

I'll share a little secret with you: besides basic t-shirts and jeans, almost nobody finds something that fits them perfectly right off the rack. A lot of times we just deal with it, or we find a way to make it work by adding a belt or a brooch or a cardigan or whatever, or we have it tailored to fit better.

Take a deep breath and pamper yourself tonight. Then the next day you have time to shop, fix your hair, do your makeup, and grab a good friend and go shopping again. Find something that you love that is flattering, and if it doesn't work perfectly, think about how IT can be changed to work for you. A lot of dry-cleaning places will do tailoring for cheap. Go for it! :)

^^^^^THIS!! The BEST advice I've read on the forums in a long time.
  • daves160
    daves160 Posts: 600
    Is it difficult to find something that you like, but may not fit really well and have it tailored to fit you? I don't know if that is possible, but it seems like you could do that. Can you?

And also Failure??!! what the heck? you are anything but! almost 50 pounds is a big success in my book.
  • MelJolly
    MelJolly Posts: 49 Member
    Many stores which sell dresses will do alterations, and for a decent price when you are buying the dress/clothing there. You can consider it a way of pampering yourself and really showing yourself off.